KBB says my Mazda has lost $4k value this year.

I can't quite see schools going to a 4 day week, in college I could have pulled 10 hour days--but not in grade school. My attention span isn't long enough, and I'm not sure many kids in the lower grades could hack that. Although parents might like that, when you have both parents working.

For the summer my local school districts switch to a 4-day/10-hour week. It works out well since they don't have to worry about bus service and before/after school programs but in a larger picture, it might be too hard for large regions to switch during the school year because of how our bus service works and how much were used to planning our schedules around the 5-day work week.

My monthly report Friday from KBB was $29.771 at 16,500 miles. There trade-in numbers are always about 10% high IME, after experiencing two trades. If true my truck is still worth what I paid. :unsure:

KBB has historically been the worst pricing tool for the used car market. It is mainly designed for dealers to get lowball priced trade-ins that prop up the profit margins.

According to KBB, a well kept 12 year old minivan is worth about as much as a Chinese scooter. NADA is what banks use to determine value for late-model vehicles. If you're looking for older inventory a combination of Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, and cars.com should give you a pretty good idea.

Many jobs have gone to a 4 day work week, some school systems are now going to 4 day school weeks, and even some entire countries have gone to a 4 day work week (Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, and Iceland. I wasn't aware that Canada had gone to a 4 day work week).
Interesting.
Here I am working 5 days a week thinking that was the norm.
o_O

We definitely do not have a 4-day work week in Canada.
"Ultimately, it depends on the individual employer to make the call".

A 4 day work week was the ultimate goal of the UAW. My guess is that rank-and-file workers would have been happy with 10 hour days if they could have gotten their 4 day work week. I would have been happy with that myself (never happened). Many jobs have gone to a 4 day work week, some school systems are now going to 4 day school weeks, and even some entire countries have gone to a 4 day work week (Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, and Iceland. I wasn't aware that Canada had gone to a 4 day work week).
Canada has not gone to 4 day work week.

Some hospital nurses work a 4 day, 10 hours/day work week. Maybe a few other types of workers too (though I don't actually know of any) but as a minimum still quite rare.

Yeah, I literally know absolutely nobody who this has applied to.

Also, this is an inherent contradiction:
For most Canadians, today is also the beginning of a four-day workweek, a concept that has gained traction in recent years in the ongoing search for a better work-life balance. Some employers in Canada and other countries have tested out the idea, and a handful have adopted it.

Could it work on a larger scale?
Ultimately, it depends on the individual employer to make the call—one that would have to take into consideration economic and labour conditions. Let’s have a look at some related data.

Also:
Hours of work - Federally regulated workplaces - Canada.ca
Screen Shot 2023-11-05 at 5.20.07 PM.jpg

Last edited:
That article is mis-titled. There are not many facts and figures in it and there's hardly anything about a 4 day work week.

Canada has an ongoing productivity problem and workers dragging through the last few hours of a 10 hour shift aren't going to improve that. I don't imagine a 4 X 8 hour work week would improve productivity either.

I suppose it would all work out fine if the population was willing to accept a lower standard of living but I've never heard anyone suggest that.

Mazda6 was discontinued and it has a manual transmission so I’m not surprised the value dropped.

Great car that you should keep for the next 20 years.
My arthritic left knee is pushing me toward an automatic sooner rather than later.

My arthritic left knee is pushing me toward an automatic sooner rather than later.
The used car values we've seen in the past few years were an anomaly. We can only hope that everything is getting back to sensible values - meaning a reduction in value for most used vehicles.

Some of us look for cars with manual transmissions. It seems they're worth more than the automatics as they get older. Of course you have to have the right buyer.

The Mazda6 with a manual transmission is a particularly nice car. I test drove one back in the day and probably should have bought one. Suggest you check out "Bring A Trailer" to see if they've sold one recently.

That article is mis-titled. There are not many facts and figures in it and there's hardly anything about a 4 day work week.

Canada has an ongoing productivity problem and workers dragging through the last few hours of a 10 hour shift aren't going to improve that. I don't imagine a 4 X 8 hour work week would improve productivity either.

I suppose it would all work out fine if the population was willing to accept a lower standard of living but I've never heard anyone suggest that.
Some municipalities here have gone to 4x10's with success. Especially for public interaction positions, so it allows a bit more public friendly office hours.
At my work we have the option to do this in the summer as well, but it is a long day at a desk, and I've got lots of holidays now so I don't do it anymore...

It’s amazing how quickly people forgot that cars are a depreciating asset. Why even check what’s it worth if one is not planning to sell or trade in?
I like to check for when it makes sense to drop collision. Also a good number to keep in the back of the mind, sometimes ones needs change (wants sure do).

Agree with @KrisZ that cars are generally not an investment, so you should expect to see their value drop.

I recommend you check places like autotrader for listings similar/same to your current ride. That's probably the more accurate gauge to go by when checking prices.

Also note, price doesn't equal value. What something is worth to you won't be the same for someone else. Sometimes this results in a "score" and other times it results in a loss. Count both experience and move on.

I can't quite see schools going to a 4 day week, in college I could have pulled 10 hour days--but not in grade school. My attention span isn't long enough, and I'm not sure many kids in the lower grades could hack that. Although parents might like that, when you have both parents working.

Am ambivalent about a 4 day workweek. Sounds great but once in a while I get onto a project and will work on it through the weekend. But then there are those weeks where I'd like to be anyplace else. Too bad, as we go into winter and short days and lousy days, I couldn't work extra and get more days off in the summer. :)

A different field altogether but the dealership I work for has a company wide 4 day/10hrs a day (open to close) work week and I love it. We're closed Sunday and I'm off on Mondays so that is like a traditional weekend for me and my second off day is Wednesday which I use for errands or other things. I feel rested going into the Friday/Saturday period where we are most often busiest.

A little bit of Amazon Warehouse discipline would help the carmakers get their costs back down, and quickly.
What's that? If you look over at your co worker you get fired? Or answer your phone. Obviously I'm being facetious...but not 100% lol.

I get the playing candy crush for 20 min.

What about the drivers complaining they have 100 pieces to deliver when Fed Ex and UPS consider that half to 1/4 of their daily load.

Sorry, after hearing about their complaining on the news for doing half the work and wanting twice the pay is par for the course

Back