Kawasaki 600v - starting issues

I have a Kawasaki 600v on a stand-behind zero turn mower. It runs great but is tough to start without starting fluid. I bought used recently so I don't know the history of how long it's been doing this. One quick shot of starting fluid and it fires right up. What could be causing this, clogged jets?

I have a Kawasaki 600v on a stand-behind zero turn mower. It runs great but is tough to start without starting fluid. I bought used recently so I don't know the history of how long it's been doing this. One quick shot of starting fluid and it fires right up. What could be causing this, clogged jets?

Something with the Choke.
I would run some fuel system cleaner as well as changing the fuel filter!
There is probably some junk in the carburetor, JMO

The jap engines always seem to get their linkages bent so the choke flap will not quite close 100%. I would inspect that first.

Other times I have taken china clone carbs and harvested a non drilled choke flap to be able to get more fuel when closed. Or you can braze some of the hole up on your existing flap if there are any.

Something with the Choke.
I would run some fuel system cleaner as well as changing the fuel filter!
There is probably some junk in the carburetor, JMO
i did notice that pulling the choke doesn’t change how the motor runs, even when hot. I’m wondering if it’s even working. I see the linkage moving but if I pull the choke while the engine is hot it doesn’t run any different which is not how my other small engines run.

i did notice that pulling the choke doesn’t change how the motor runs, even when hot. I’m wondering if it’s even working. I see the linkage moving but if I pull the choke while the engine is hot it doesn’t run any different which is not how my other small engines run.

Sounds like you could have 1 person pull the choke and have someone else look at the carburetor to see if the carb plate is closed. If you cannot get the choke to work remember you can also use carburetor cleaner to start the engine.

When you shut the mower off can you restart it?

Sounds like you could have 1 person pull the choke and have someone else look at the carburetor to see if the carb plate is closed. If you cannot get the choke to work remember you can also use carburetor cleaner to start the engine.

When you shut the mower off can you restart it?
Been using engine starting fluid to start it cold. Will start fine on its own when warmed up. I’m thinking might be something to do with the choke. Everything is moving on externally but will need to open the carb to verify.

If it starts on starting fluid but not without the fluid then you have a fuel delivery problem. Either the choke isn't working properly or the carburetor jets are slightly clogged and need cleaning. My bet is on the choke.

Valve clearance wouldn't really cause a cold starting issue that would be solved by starting fluid.

If it starts on starting fluid but not without the fluid then you have a fuel delivery problem. Either the choke isn't working properly or the carburetor jets are slightly clogged and need cleaning. My bet is on the choke.

Valve clearance wouldn't really cause a cold starting issue that would be solved by starting fluid.
I think you're right. I tinkered with the choke linkage. Cleaned and lubed everything and adjusted the choke cable to pull more. Not 100% fixed but I've been able to cold start a few times without the fluid. Gave me trouble on just one start. So had to be the choke.

Back