K&N ps-1010

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I recently bought some of these filters for a Honda J30A5 V6. I have been using the Napa Gold 1356. Can anybody give some insight to how these two filters compare. Visually they use a much different gasket. The Napa is a flat gasket and the K&N uses an o-ring type gasket. And does anybody know how long K&N has been getting their filters made in China?

Oh wow they're Chinese now? I know they moved to Mexico and Korea a couple years ago, but now CHINA? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!

Probably outsourced for lower volume?

Most Napa golds are 95% efficient at 20 microns while the newer K&N filters were quoted at mid 80s efficiency. I'd go back to the Napa golds, K&N stopped making filters in the USA and kept the premium price, you can do better.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Oh wow they're Chinese now? I know they moved to Mexico and Korea a couple years ago, but now CHINA? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!

I have Honda V6 3.0
if you look at my posts you will find the one I did with a K&N that I cut open and frankly I was not impressed, not for the cost of the filter.

FRAM ULTRA is wayyyyyyyyyy better IMO for the $...

I have cut open all the oil filters I have put on this car for nearly 3 years....

So far Fram Ultra and Honda A01 made by FILTECH look the best.

I have even cut open MANN and FRAM HM and FRAM TG and FRAM Ultra and BOESCH and NIPPON..

Also Cut open Napa SILVER.....

If I were you I would look no further then FRAM ULTRA.....

Trust me, I have used them all and the FRAM ULTRA is by far the best IMO when it comes to cost, and FLOW and Quality and easy to find and a DAMM GOOD FILTER

I would only use a K&N if the filter was in a very very hard place to get to... Then that lil nut makes it easy.... However With Honada the filtes are rather easy to get to.

Look back on my filter cut open posts.

good luck.

Also the K8N I had was made in USA.

K&N never made sense to me...

I got AFe washble for 14 bucks. if it was more than that i wouldnt have got it.

Air filters are cheap I dont see the value proposition of paying 30+ for one.

Made in China
15.gif

Add K&N to ANOTHER American Company giving more jobs overseas.
spankme2.gif

So how long are we all guessing till manufacturing will be COMPLETELY GONE from the USA along with our so called "Middle Class".

We are our own worst enemies.
09.gif

Jeff

I dont buy K&N's and havent for years, but my Dad uses them in my Mom's IS300. He will be very disappointing to hear this.

I realize I drive a German car, and such, but doesn't mean I dont buy American things. I have owned American cars, but they were either made in Mexico, or Canada. Go Figure. I try very hard to find things made here. Every year it gets harder and harder.

America has so many problems, and I know this is off subject, but if the USA would stop worrying about everyone else and help its own people, the country in the long run? Would be a much better place to live.

Jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
K&N never made sense to me...

I got AFe washble for 14 bucks. if it was more than that i wouldnt have got it.

Air filters are cheap I dont see the value proposition of paying 30+ for one.

I know its silly.. Plus when you put that OIL in the Air Filters it can cause problems to the MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR.

I know for my Honda Accord 2002 V6 they do not make a FRAM TOUGH GAURD for it b/c it is pre oiled and Purolator does not make the Blue one that has oil..

I have been at my Granpa shop when K&N air filters first came out and we had to do many MASS Air Flow Sensor cleanings / replacments / replace gaskets so on.

Also its much more easy to spend 10$ on a filter and pop it in and go..

Then to buy the oil and cleaner and do all that work and let it dry over night then pop it in.

There is a video on youtube.. A guy lets his car run out of GAS.. He put in a K&N Oil filter and drives the car till it runs out of Gas... Then he puts in the same amount of gas I think 1/2 Gallon. Then puts a regular FRAM or Drivework aka Generic / REGULAR Filter in and drivers the car till it runs out of Gas and guess what??????????

he got better milage with the Generic / Fram / regular filter.

He got Less miles with the K&N and he did the test like 6 times and they were all the same and he did it on the same streach of road.

So IMO K&N dont save gas.. Perhaps they give you more HP...

However K&N were made for motorcycles if I remember correctly.

2 stroke Motorcyles.... and perhaps the more air helped.. I dunno

Personally I wouldnt use a K&N on my car.... Perhaps with the $$$ kit it makes your car sound better but who cares

and the oil filter the only reason I would use one is if the oil filter was in a very TIGHT SPOT... However they sell other filters with that NUT on them.

Now K&N made in CHINA.. I mean whats next.... MADE IN AFGANISTAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back