K&N oil filter observation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooops I was thought you said your pressure would climb 5psi then drop back to where it was at sustained high rpms. Well if it doesn't drop thats ok. But if I were you I would still hook up a mechanical guage to see how accurate/what your real pressure is. I know 45is enough for close to 6k rpm, but you also don't have alot of leeway either. My friend's 97 Z gets 55-60 at WOT. He uses AC Delco filter though Im not sure which one. His hot idle pressure is about 22psi. He uses 10w40 Penzoil dino oil. I have another buddy with a 95 Z with 103k and his gets the same as yours except he gets more at WOT. He gets oil changes at grease monkey so im not sure what filter he has.

Jason

quote:

Originally posted by mebanditws6:
Ooops I was thought you said your pressure would climb 5psi then drop back to where it was at sustained high rpms. Well if it doesn't drop thats ok.

On a downshift on the highway it momentarily spikes up that extra 5psi or so, but then the oil pressure doesn't actually drop below the point it was at before. So technically the oil pressure isn't really getting lower at high rpms. From what I could tell from the breif time I was able to make a run from almost a dead stop, the pressure remains stable at about 45psi the entire time I'm at WOT. Keep in mind my car is automatic, so it's also possible I'm seeing different readings because of that. I know my idle oil pressure is lower than an M6 LT1 (mainly because the auto cars idle at about 550rpm in drive, versus 800rpm for an M6)

It's going to be interesting to see where my pressure is in the spring when I start mixing in a couple of quarts of Schaeffer 15w40, to get my viscosity closer to 12-13cst at 100c.

I am now pretty confident that this K&N filter flows very well.

[ January 26, 2003, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

My buddy's 97 is an auto and idles, well i guess 550 cause its stock. It gets just over 20psi warm idle with 10w40 Penzoil dino. I say just switch to a 10w40 and to a 15w40 for summer. This is a Chevy small block we're talking about with reverse cooled heads thus hotter oil temps. I tried to get my buddy to start using M1 for his Z but he doesn't want to spend the money so I told him the least he could do is run a heavier dino oil.

Jason

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
What's the basis for your confidence, please?

For one, Terry Dyson has told me he feels these filters flow very well.

Also, I could be wrong but I think the oil pressure is also lower on an extreme cold start in the winter with this filter vs other ones.

Also, you know Champion Labs makes great filters and they claim that this one is the best flowing one they make.

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
Filter greatness is becoming less clear to me.

Me too unfortunately, but until more clear evidence against the K&N shows up, I will keep using it. Even if it's only half as good as it claims, it's still better than the other choices I have up here in Canada. And I'm definitely not running a Fram or a PureONE on my Firebird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back