K&N Bypass Valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
The reason why they don't show it on the cutaway is because they show a 3001 filter I believe, which doesn't have the bypass valve. Just like the 3002 I use for my Firebird, it doesn't need one, as it's built into the block on those applications that use it.

So I'm sure that for those that need the valve, it'll be there, Champion should have this information (doesn't someone on here know their 1-800 tech line number?)

Thanks Patman, I'll see if I can dig up any Info from champion. I have a Ford and Toyota, and I think they both need the bypass valve on the filter. Also I'm using one for an external transmission filter, So I need to make absolute sure it has one.

If you go to Advance Auto or others you can look in the back of the Purolator Book and get the setting. Many are 13-17psi. Look up the K&N filter and then look inside of the filter. If the filter is specified for the vehicle it will have a bypass valve of the proper setpoint.

I'm using K&N HP Gold oil filters but haven't been able to find information on the bypass valve. The questions I have are:

1) Does it even have one? The diagram on K&N's web sited doesn't even point it out.
2) What is the differential pressure required to go into bypass (assuming it has one)
3) Where is the valve located on the front side near the threads or at the end of the filter?

Anyone that knows this I appreciate your help. My apologies in advance if this has already been answered on this site. I couldn' find direct information in the search I did.

Thanks Again

quote:

Originally posted by joee12:
The technical hotline for Champion is 800-882-0890. -Joe

Thanks for the tip line. I just called them and the K&N HP3001 does have a bypass valve that kicks in with 8-11psi differential pressure. So it's safe for the external transmission filter that I use it in. I also use it in the '91 ford 4.0 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back