K&N Air Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as air isn't restricted the better filtration is simply better. This is why even guys running paper OEM replacements have gauges to indicate when it's time to replace it. So, there is no air starvation issue. Don't go for oiled media.

Get an aFe Pro Dry S if you can ship from Amazon. It doesn't filter as well as paper filters but in between that and oiled medias. I only knock it out once a year and it doesn't even require soap/water to clean it. However, I don't know what other "stock intake" replacement drop in options there are.

The price of disposable air filters is getting too high for something that eventually gets thrown away; especially for cabin air filters. $23 for something that gets thrown away is not good economics.

Well down here I can get the K&N 33-2045 part number for $110 or a Ryco Paper filter for $55.

So 2 paper filters and I am at the cost of K&N reusable already.

However if a K&N will literally destroy my engine (200,000km/120,000miles prematurely) well... then the K&N is more expensive.... will it be that different for longevity or are we splitting hairs here and in reality nobodies engine is going to fail/wear out by that degree between one or the other?

Last edited:
There is no reason in the world to use a K&N at this point.

Stock air box? No gain. Filter is not the restriction. Intake tract is.

Aftermarket cold air? AEM and Donaldson offerings are worlds better at filtration and capacity.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

What about the cost of disposable air filters ? They're getting up there in price.

In 4 years, I have not had to buy a disposable filter due to the old one pegging the restriction meter.

I don't know when this will happen, but nothing is putting up noticeable restriction yet.

Since I have started using restriction gauges, I am no longer convinced an air filter is a frequent maintenance item.

For everything else, there's AEM Dry flow. My two trucks that have those haven't put anything on the restriction gauge in 35-37k miles of driving. Best guess I'll clean them for the first time in 2019 after being installed in 2016.

No problem
thumbsup2.gif

In 4 years, I have not had to buy a disposable filter due to the old one pegging the restriction meter.

I don't know when this will happen, but nothing is putting up noticeable restriction yet.

Since I have started using restriction gauges, I am no longer convinced an air filter is a frequent maintenance item.

For everything else, there's AEM Dry flow. My two trucks that have those haven't put anything on the restriction gauge in 35-37k miles of driving. Best guess I'll clean them for the first time in 2019 after being installed in 2016.

Wait till you clean one. Mine came out unbelievably clean and near new after 100k miles. Great quality filters...

So what do you do with this?

"Thank you for contacting K&N. All of our filters are made to meet or exceed OEM specs. That is the only thing we can go off"

I asked them how good it filters down, and thats the response.

Stock air box? No gain. Filter is not the restriction. Intake tract is.

Aftermarket cold air? AEM and Donaldson offerings are worlds better at filtration and capacity.

the Donaldson nano fiber media is so much better than a standard paper filter, I have two drop in elements when Amsoil carried filters with the Donaldson media, and two volant with the Donaldson power cores.

all the other after market isnt worth it and better to run the stock paper filters, and K&N is junk1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back