"K&N" air filter and others..

First of all I tried to find the correct forum for this topic, I know there are some topics about this subject but can't really find my answer.

I have an Volvo V40 with and D4 (5-cyl diesel) engine and was wondering are the some really benefits of K&N air filter? Just the one that fits in the box and not the open air filter.

Or is there any other brand you guys recommend? I would like to see some sound and mpg improvement but also some hp if possible.

First of all I tried to find the correct forum for this topic, I know there are some topics about this subject but can't really find my answer.

I have an Volvo V40 with and D4 (5-cyl diesel) engine and was wondering are the some really benefits of K&N air filter? Just the one that fits in the box and not the open air filter.

Or is there any other brand you guys recommend? I would like to see some sound and mpg improvement but also some hp if possible.
No air filter is going to give you more hp or mpg.

It's a diesel. The air-fuel mixture is lean by default to dilute the smoke. More air without a ECU adjustment won't do a thing. The diesel will use the air it needs only, and not much else, the rest is to hide the smoke.

An OEM air filter would typically see a pressure drop of around 0.5 to 2% of atmospheric pressure, resulting in a power loss of 0.5 to 2% relative to an engine running no air filter. If a K&N filter is half as restrictive as OEM, you might see an increase in power of 0.25-1% (though actually less, since ignition timing is more retarded at higher airflows). In terms of filtering efficiency, a K&N will allow over 10 times the amount of dust into the engine compared to a good paper filter, resulting in over 10 times the rate of engine wear. Here is an ISO test of the efficiency of various air filters, included K&N. For an engine operated in a low-dust environment, this increased wear probably not result in the engine wearing out within the life of the vehicle, but for some engines it will. Outside of competitive racing, it doesn't seem wise to use an inefficient filter.

In terms of fuel economy, for modern fuel injected gasoline engines there is no difference in engine efficiency between a unrestrictive filter and one that is clogged, since fuel is metered based on measured airflow. Pumping losses are identical as well since the combined restriction of the filter and throttle will be unchanged (except at WOT). On carbureted engines, a restrictive filter will result in the engine running richer, usually resulting in reduced fuel economy. There is a good study on this (SAE 2012-01-1717).

On a diesel engine, a less restrictive filter may improve economy slightly in theory, since the engine is not throttled, and pumping losses will be reduced with less airbox restriction. However, a study on this (SAE 2013-01-0311) showed no measurable reduction in fuel efficiency, even with a very clogged filter.

I have tried them twice and got rid of both. One was a cone style and the other was a drop-in. Both left a very fine dusting on the inside of the intake. The final straw was on a friends dirt bike, which lost compression after about 3 weekends of hard dusty riding. at the end of the month it wouldn’t start. Compression tested it and it was waaay low. He took it to a shop and they showed him the ring and bore wear. Granted, we were in extreme conditions but it was wild. Shop showed him the fine dust, and asked him if he happened to be riding at a particular trail network, known for high silicates. The shop had seen it many times. Ditch the K&N, they said….

I use paper….

I installed an AEM cold air intake in my 21 Grand Touring Reserve Turbo Mazda CX-5. It looks cool as hell like it was installed from factory as nice heat shield box around the cone filter with a little window to see the filter and noisier but I feel that I lose some lower end grunt for top end performance. I took it off and just bought the K&N drop in filter and K&N cabin filter. Pretty sure I'm just gonna stick to the drop ins and sell the cold air intake kit even though it looks awesome. Mazda CX-5 comes from the factory with a cold air intake so that's probably another reason I prefer stock as stock is 100% sealed cold air into filter where the aftermarket one is a 3/4 box around cone filter so still one side wide open so probably not as cold air as the stock system.

Attachments

• IMG_7040.jpg
    IMG_7040.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7041.jpg
    IMG_7041.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back