Just used 2.5 year old brake fluid. Works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used up the rest of my May 2017 brake fluid.
2.5 years old. Car stops better than ever!
The 1 bottle did 3 different cars in 3 different years!

Don't believe the fake news hype of OCD suckers throwing out perfectly good fluid just because it's 2 days old.
Cars drive around with literally 20 year old brake fluid and no one died with no brakes.

Last edited:
I have never performed a brake flush myself, but I do use the turkey baster method and use new fluid every time. Not worth using possibly contaminated fluid when new fluid is so inexpensive. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted by wowthisexists
Don't believe the fake news hype of OCD suckers throwing out perfectly good fluid just because it's 2 days old.
Cars drive around with literally 20 year old brake fluid and no one died with no brakes.

Did you make this post to just troll?
Are you arguing that hygroscopic brake fluid doesnt absorb moisture or what is the point?
sealed brake life has a shelf life in years.. once opened its penny wise pound foolish to use it after sitting several years.

Brake fluid is?? $4? my labor in flushing the brakes is worth way more than that.

36.gif

No, that's just what you've been told.
The fluid works perfectly fine, and the cars stops better than ever.

Hygroscopic is a bunch of BS best left for science nerds in labs.
NOT THE REAL WORLD. Can sat in my garage for almost 3 years.
Good as new.

Originally Posted by Rand
sealed brake life has a shelf life in years.. once opened its penny wise pound foolish to use it after sitting several years.
A penny saved is a penny earned, boyo.

A car breathes (slightly) through the master cylinder cap, and the air around the master cylinder heat-cycles.

An open but sealed can in a garage has several CC's of the same darn air that's staying in there. Its water vapor content is negligible.

Keep rocking, OP. I use an open can too, myself, and the car stops great. Pretty much any brake attention, whether it's cleaning slide pins, filing pad ears, or flushing hydraulics, makes them better... even if it's hokey.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by Rand
A penny saved is a penny earned, boyo.

I like how you think. I like going to bed with a smile on my face.
happy2.gif

BITOG has been slowly turning into a safe space for extreme cheapskate nonsense.

Like rust inside the brake lines, so are the days of our lives...

BITOG has been slowly turning into a safe space for extreme OCD nonsense.

Like debating oil certifications, so are the days of our lives...

Originally Posted by eljefino
An open but sealed can in a garage has several CC's of the same darn air that's staying in there. Its water vapor content is negligible.

That's always been my view on it too.
While there may be a minuscule amount of air (and moisture) that goes in and out of the tightly capped container over a few years, nothing compared to what is in a working vehicle.
I would take the 2 year old fluid from a previously opened container that has been recapped shortly after being opened and stored out of the elements vs the 2 year old fluid in my vehicle (or the original fluid that is in 90% of cars out there).

It is very simple. Even if you are a responsible driver who doesn't think public roads are a race track, you can be driving the wrong vehicle for your intended use and need that last few % braking performance.

It will usually be the pads that can't handle it, or overall brake system wear not the fluid age, but replacing fluid excessively ( more often than once every 6 years or so) is a band-aid hope to eek out a small % improvement in a brake system that is inadequate for the use.

It is the cheapskates who think they need that frequent, fresh brake fluid change instead of upgrading their braking system, "IF" anything was needed at all instead of them just believing urban myths that following some set procedure was a placebo for braking problems.

If you don't have braking problems, you don't have braking problems. It doesn't get simpler than that. You don't need newer fluid if you don't have braking problems caused by old fluid. I know, it's rocket surgery.

Then there's the chicken littles who say what if the sky is falling and there's some sudden life or death event. NO. Your brake fluid does not heat up enough to boil fluid from a little moisture in it, from a rare, sudden even. It does that if you are driving at the limits of the braking system because you have a setup not suited to your use.

On the other hand, it is true that brake fluid is cheap and some of you need a better hobby but this is what you have so you change the fluid whether it needs it or not. There are worse vices in this world than that, but many of them give more satisfaction than the thought that your inadequate brakes now have fresh fluid.

Decent brakes don't stop working from some water vapor in them. Once ABS came along, brakes could be set up with much more stopping power because it wasn't solely dependent on the driver to modulate them. Your use scenario may vary. There are always exceptions, but the general urban myth about always using new fluid and changing it every couple years, has no basis in fact/science except in the most extreme conditions, that whole last few percent crowd who doesn't have any common sense and only understands if one number is slightly higher/lower than another number.

Everyone raise their hands if their primary criteria buying a vehicle was its stopping distance while racing. It IS BITOG, there are bound to be some people out there who legitimately have this need. Everyone else, should observe the millions of real world examples of brakes working fine all day, every day, with old fluid.

Toothbrushes are cheap too, and every day you use a used one, you risk infection. Do you buy a new toothbrush every week, let alone every use? Do you submerge it in sanitizer instead? I don't, 'cuz I'm living on the edge.
wink.gif

Believe it or not, OEMs actually test things like this and don't just forget to tell you to change your brake fluid. That is a very important system in a vehicle and there would be massive recalls if it didn't work safely by following their service intervals. If your vehicle OEM states you need XYZ for your brake maintenance, do that. Rest assured that they have tested this and have far more data than some internet jockey.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
It is very simple. Even if you are a responsible driver who doesn't think public roads are a race track, you can be driving the wrong vehicle for your intended use and need that last few % braking performance.

It will usually be the pads that can't handle it, or overall brake system wear not the fluid age, but replacing fluid excessively ( more often than once every 6 years or so) is a band-aid hope to eek out a small % improvement in a brake system that is inadequate for the use.

It is the cheapskates who think they need that frequent, fresh brake fluid change instead of upgrading their braking system, "IF" anything was needed at all instead of them just believing urban myths that following some set procedure was a placebo for braking problems.

If you don't have braking problems, you don't have braking problems. It doesn't get simpler than that. You don't need newer fluid if you don't have braking problems caused by old fluid. I know, it's rocket surgery.

Then there's the chicken littles who say what if the sky is falling and there's some sudden life or death event. NO. Your brake fluid does not heat up enough to boil fluid from a little moisture in it, from a rare, sudden even. It does that if you are driving at the limits of the braking system because you have a setup not suited to your use.

On the other hand, it is true that brake fluid is cheap and some of you need a better hobby but this is what you have so you change the fluid whether it needs it or not. There are worse vices in this world than that, but many of them give more satisfaction than the thought that your inadequate brakes now have fresh fluid.

Decent brakes don't stop working from some water vapor in them. Once ABS came along, brakes could be set up with much more stopping power because it wasn't solely dependent on the driver to modulate them. Your use scenario may vary. There are always exceptions, but the general urban myth about always using new fluid and changing it every couple years, has no basis in fact/science except in the most extreme conditions, that whole last few percent crowd who doesn't have any common sense and only understands if one number is slightly higher/lower than another number.

Everyone raise their hands if their primary criteria buying a vehicle was its stopping distance while racing. It IS BITOG, there are bound to be some people out there who legitimately have this need. Everyone else, should observe the millions of real world examples of brakes working fine all day, every day, with old fluid.

That is quite the rambling piece of fiction.

Somewhere between OCD, and letting your brake system rot from the inside out, there is an actual correct way to maintain a hydraulic brake system.

Last edited:
Brake fluid absorbs water. Better to start with it having absorbed no water. Then over time some water will be absorbed in your brake system,

I would expect it to work fine in the vehicle. But still better to use fresh fluid.

Its cheap. Buy a container when you need it.

Originally Posted by eyeofthetiger
That is quite the rambling piece of fiction.

Somewhere between OCD, and letting your brake system rot from the inside out, there is an actual correct way to maintain a hydraulic brake system.

So you are either too lazy to refute, or have no way of doing so. Sorry but that doesn't cut it.

There is no evidence to support your vague assertion of "rot from the inside out". In fact, normally brake lines rot from the outside in. It is rare to have a brake line failure where the outside was not crusty chunks falling off.

Please pretend that you have more data and experience than the OEM does, enough that they would risk brake system lawsuits by not shifting the burden of brake fluid changes onto the consumer. That makes no sense whatsoever, but I would enjoy reading that nonsense.

Further it is weasel words to vaguely imply there is a "correct way" when you can't substantiate that. The correct way is that proven by science, by decades of testing by OEMs. Again, do follow the OEM prescribed service intervals.

Your attempt at trolling (once you stated "rambling ... fiction") pretty much backfired. You cannot substantiate your vague delusion for a majority of drivers, and I did mention exceptions.

The truth is that normally brake fluid lasts the life of the brake components, and ironically (not so much), that is what most OEMs prescribe.

I want to hear of your specific use scenario where this didn't work for you. Then I won't buy that vehicle without upgrading their defective brakes.

Last edited:
Yeah squandering funds on brake maintenance is false economy.

For some reason my German cars specify replacing brake fluid at regular intervals.

"Cars drive around with literally 20 year old brake fluid and no one died with no brakes."

Originally Posted by splinter
Yeah squandering funds on brake maintenance is false economy.

For some reason my German cars specify replacing brake fluid at regular intervals.

"Cars drive around with literally 20 year old brake fluid and no one died with no brakes."

The majority of brake systems receive no fluid replacement until parts start to wear and lose fluids. I for one would not use German engineering for a maintenance guidance. Even some of our OCD members agree some of the maintenance recommendations are overkill.

I used up the rest of my May 2017 brake fluid. 2.5 years old. Car stops better than ever!
Why? What is it in 2.5 year old brake fluid that suddenly makes the car stop better than ever? Was it low on fluid?

I've used older "opened but sealed" fluid much older than that many times and never had a problem. The old fluid also comes in handy for bleed jobs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back