just some general fluid questions. new guy here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. first time posting here. I'm really new to this whole automotive maintenance research and stuff. I mean before I've always changed out oil every 3,000 miles, flushed coolant, and that kind of stuff. However my fiance's car has really brought me into looking into what I've been putting into cars for all these years. I own a 2014 cruze with the 1.4 turbo and she has an 07 pontiac g6 with the 2.4l. The reason for my sudden interest into everything is because it seems like ever since she got her car back from her ex (long, very boring story going into that, but I won't bother here) every time I look up there's something new wrong with the dang thing. at 69,000 miles her timing chain jumped time and screwed everything up. had to get the valves relapped, replaced gaskets, amongst I can't remember what else. $1,800 later and her car is up and running again.

However before and after getting the motor fixed her car has always made what I can only describe as a rattling-like noise so I decided to switch her to a full synthetic hoping maybe buying a better quality oil will help us get the most time out of her car before we inevitably have to buy a new car. I put Royal Purple into her car and that rattling noise was completely gone within 1,000-1,500 miles after putting it in, the car sounds much, much better than ever. My problem though seems to be everyone HATES Royal Purple for one reason or another. I think I'm going to start using Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum from now on.

Another question I have is she's more than overdue to get her coolant and transmission flushed. Anyone have any recommendations for what I should do? What kind of coolant and transmission fluids would some of you recommend? Any other maintenance you all would recommend? Thank you all in advance and have a great night.

Are you going to do this yourself?

I recommend dropping the trans pan and changing the filter. The jiffy lube type "flush" machines are just two big vats of fluid and a pump. When you or your mechanic drops the pan, they wipe out clutch silt and gunk that aren't gotten by the flusherator.

Same with coolant, a drain and fill will put you on the right track. Do another in a month to a year if you feel overdue. A coolant flush is somewhat more appropriate in your case, over five years, but very expensive for what you get. If you DIY you can drain the rad, fill with water, drive a day, then drain that mess and refill with 100% antifreeze.

Are you sure you didn't get new coolant with the engine work?

Check to see if the coolant was changed when the heads were pulled and if so what coolant was used.

Welcome buckeye.

If you are a novice have a GMC dealer flush the trans. The GMC dealer in Bedford on Rockside Road is good. http://www.jaybuickgmc.com/

As for the coolant if you buy the premixed OEM GM coolant you can do a drain/fill once this year and then every 30,000 miles after that. Just make sure you burp the air out of the cooling system. Get a Lisle Spill Free Funnel from AAP to do this.

Last edited:
Definitely double check to see if the coolant was replaced with the head work.

There is nothing wrong with Royal Purple. I think that most on this board will tell you that it is decent oil but way overpriced. Many people report quiet operation with Pennzoil, so you are on track there. Another quiet oil seems to be QSUD.

For the trans fluid I would suggest Maxlife. The car is older now and a lot of guys love that stuff.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks guys. The coolant was not flushed when they repaired the motor. The salesman said they topped off the coolant, but didn't flush it out. Flushing the coolant I can do, but flushing the trans and changing the filter is out of my depth to do here in my driveway. I think I'll try to find some place that will do it for me with that Maxlife stuff.

If you have ramps and a socket set you can drop the transmission pan. Simply take the back few bolts off the pan and catch all of the fluid that drains out. Pour it into a 4 or 5 quart jug and then refill with the same amount with the CORRECT fluid (check your owners manual).

After you have drained out most of the fluid pull the rest of the bolts and pull the pan out. Use a shop rag and get all of the gritty stuff out, use brake cleaner to make it a little faster. Also clean off the magnet that is in the pan (it will be nasty).Then bolt the pan back on and refill with the same amount that came out. You are done. Repeat this a month later. Then repeat another month later. Your fluid is almost completely replaced at this point and your transmission will love you. Watch a couple of youtube vids before starting. It really is easy.

I found a site I can get 12 qts of kendall gt-1 full synthetic w/ liquid titanium for $60~ after shipping. That's right around the same price per qt as Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra is at Wal-mart for the 5 qt jug, which is nigh on impossible to find at Wal-Mart anymore. I think I'm torn between RP, kendall (at this bulk quantity price), PP/PU, and a few others and it's pretty much going to come down to whichever's cheapest because they all seem to be excellent oils. Any recommendations on which oil filter?

Thanks Barkley I didn't think it would be that simple to do a tranny flush. I'll have to try it out. When should I replace the trans filter and does anyone have any recommendations for which filter to use?

i would get a filter from Napa. i would change it the last time you change out the fluid. but first make sure it is serviceable. both cars i have now you cant even get to it unless you are rebuilding the tranny

Sorry for the long time to respond. Ok I think I might have the mechanic up the road from us help me out because he's a family friend and very good to us. I'm sure I could probably do it myself, but he has a lift and I'd rather have someone experienced help me out and make sure I do it right then take the chance and jack something up.

A couple of things have popped up. I've been doing 5k mile oil change intervals on her car after the initial short oil change intervals (changed it after 3k~ miles twice since switching to full synth) and this oil change will be at 5k~ miles and I was wondering if there really is much of, if any, difference in oil filters. I'd like to get something I can be comfortable swapping out at 5k miles along with the oil. I found a K&N oil filter for her car for $8 and I know K&N makes some good stuff.

There were other things I was going to ask, but I got distracted and I can't remember for the life of me what they were. Anyways as always any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back