Just put Syntec 5w-20 in my truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't find PP at 5w-20.

First oil change at 1,160 miles ... plan to keep it in for 180 days. Should rack up about 4k miles more by then.

Don't worry, though Castrol Syntec is considered overpriced by some it's still a fine oil and will service you just fine for the 4,000+ miles you plan on using it. If you are going to stick with ~4,000 mile OCI's then you might as well use Motorcraft or any Conoco family oil, Havoline/Chevron, Castrol Blend or really any other 5W-20 that meets Ford's spec's for the SM rated 5W-20 oils. Though I will have to admit that Valoline All Climate 5W-20 might not be your bet bet if you want to go over 3,000 mile OCI's.

Whimsey

I selected full synthetic because of my recent driving conditions.

In post Katrina New Orleans you're often in bumper to bumper traffic. My 6 mile commute home from work has often approached 1 hour.

Fear not as the castrol syntec meets the Ford spec as outlined in your owners manual. Which engine do you have?

I have the 3.0L and I have been running nothing but 5w20 in it since brand new. Religous 5k oil changes including the first one done, which was at 5,000 miles.

06Ranger,

Is your 2.3 the new Duratec model? Just curious because mine is a 98 with a 2.5,,,,,,op

oilpan 49

Yes that's my understanding. It's supposed to have a connection to the Mazda 2.3l engine, just not as refined.

BTW, I've read many success stories with the 2.5l. Has yours given you good service?

180 days is not necessary with today's oils. You can go a full year with your purchase -- unless it involves real short drives all the time. I know some folks change twice yearly -- but most of these folks do it around April & November... ie... just after winter & just before the cold weather.

The Castrol Syn-Blend works well out to 4K & beyond for your engine-needs. Must want extra extreme heat/cold protection & engine cleanliness eh' -- or your drives are short-hops here & there.

Nuttin' wrong with that!
dunno.gif
Just trying to reason with such a short miles OCI you are doing.
cheers.gif

Yeah I can swing the $43 oil change twice a year. It's worth it to me under the bumper to bumper conditions I've described.

It's probably not much better than MC but if it's a "little" better ... I'm satisfied.

06ranger..I'm burnt out on all this crap about groupIII/IV that i will only listen to what my UOA says. Too many people are experts here and the wealth of opinions is insane. I would say at 4000 take a sample of your oil and go from there. If you want to use syntec use it. If you want to use MC5w20 syn blend that is fine too. Don't listen to the guy who will tell you that mobil1 is the best of all oils or any brand for that matter. You do what you want to your truck.

06Ranger,

Mine has been treating me real well. Just been doing regular maintence and keep up. I've got a few mods done to it such as the K&N FIPK and a Magnaflow exhaust.

Good luck with your new Ranger! op

speedtc,

I agree. I don't think it's a simple as this oil is in a higher grouping, so by default it is superior to your oil for your applications forget the add packages. Some say M1 is superior to Syntec, but in the same breath say Syntec far exceeds my driving requirements. Better yet are the folks that recommend dinos but personally use synthetics.

I'm not positive but I'd guess that using Syntec and changing at 6 mo intervals at 4k miles is overally conservative but for piece of mind $86 a year is worth it to me.

I don't plan to do UOA's because I'll never try for extended OCI's.

Mine is out of warranty and I still use the 5w20. I have also owned the 2.5L as well. The manual called for 5w30 on that one, so that is what I used. I used syntec blend at a 4k change interval on the 2.5L. Ran like a happy kitty when I traded it in for my 2003 3.0L.

Considering current gas prices I wished I still had my 2.5L, it averaged 26.7 MPG over the last 3,000 miles I drove it.

06 Ranger if you do the oil change yourself you can bring that cost down to $26.

06ranger...i would do UOAs to see how your engine is running. I am using syn but will go no longer than 5k OCI cause of the warranty. I may use syntec or try something else. I have a jug of MC 5w20 syn-blend eye-balln' me right now.

speedtc

Only your vehicle knows which oil is best for it. They usually tell you which one they like - based on sound, cleanliness, extreme temp operation & consumption. That's what the real experts here say.... not picking sides with any single oil brand.

If someone tells you that a certain brand is best for all vehicles, then he's far from a expert.

06ranger...It's just as refined minus the VVT and balance shafts. You also have a unique crank for truck duty. Same engine. As soon as i get an UOA on my 5w20 syntec i will move to MC 5w20 syn blend and do the same.

Nothing wrong with your oil choice, other than spending more money than needed. If the extra cost of full syn over the recommended blend doesn't bother you, keep doing that. Otherwise use Motorcraft or similar product for a 4K interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back