Just purchased a 2017 Jaguar F-Type S V6

I have always thought that Jaguar made a great looking car, everything from classy to sporty. There’s an older gentleman here in town that has a fleet of cars that Includes a very nice Nomad, but the car that I gravitate towards is his Sportbrake. Absolutely beautiful wagon!
Your F-type is beautiful! 🍻

You mean it has the V8 block and crankshaft with two empty cylinders?
In essence, yes. It is the V8 block, with V6 heads, and the 2 aft cylinders simply capped off where the base of the bore would be. The crankshaft is configured for a 90 degree V6 with offset crank journals and a counterweight where the 4th journal should be. It is an unfortunate setup, but the engine is based on the tough aluminum old Jaguar V8, with smaller bores on the V6 (500cc cylinders) and thicker cylinder walls. It is very tough and people modify these things for excellent HP with zero engine issues. So it makes a great platform for modifications. The ZF transmission is also very tough and designed for high HP.

Took the car out last night and it really feels great. Almost feels like a very well done "tuners" car. Ultra responsive, stiff suspension, tight fitting seats, no body roll, stupidly fast shifts and ultra responsive throttle. Even half pedal results in good power. Just needs 100 more HP and the 171mph speed limiter removed. (The V6 S is said to be able to reach 170, so the limiter does not limit anything :) )

fullsizerender_9023ad980e0b6f852e035af15622bf000728034a.jpg

2012-311119-jaguar-3-0-liter-v6-supercharged-petrol-engine-24-04-20121.jpg

Seems like a lot of reconfiguration just to have a V6 engine that still weighs almost as much, and takes up the same space as the V8. Why not just stick with the V8? I doubt the gas mileage is much less.

Seems like a lot of reconfiguration just to have a V6 engine that still weighs almost as much, and takes up the same space as the V8. Why not just stick with the V8? I doubt the gas mileage is much less.
Im sure the MPG of a good V8 would come very close to the supercharged V6. I got 26 on the trip home. Mostly high speeds. Slowing to 65 results in 30. Let’s be honest, a direct injection Chevy V8 would make more power, be more compact, weigh less and achieve the same MPG.

Whether the fun factor would be there is another question entirely. This thing is stupidly fun. It is not a super fast Racecar. It is a sports car with teeth And simply begs to be driven hard.

Last edited:
Nice car! Not sure about the concern over the V6… the tried and true GM 4.3L v6 was the same deal relative to the tried and true GM 5.7L supposedly. They do have a bit of a unique shake because of it, but I’d suspect that Jaguar would dampen that easily.

What are you going to use to seal the top?

What are you going to use to seal the top?
I really had not considered that on this car. In the past I used a spray product made by Raggtopp to waterproof the cloth tops I'd install. I'm not sure if it worked, but it would discolor lighter fabrics.

Im sure the MPG of a good V8 would come very close to the supercharged V6. I got 26 on the trip home. Mostly high speeds. Slowing to 65 results in 30. Let’s be honest, a direct injection Chevy V8 would make more power, be more compact, weigh less and achieve the same MPG.

Whether the fun factor would be there is another question entirely. This thing is stupidly fun. It is not a super fast Racecar. It is a sports car with teeth And simply begs to be driven hard.
That is a an interesting choice, to do a super charged V6 and a supercharged V8. You would think they would just do a NA V8 for the lower hp version? It would be interesting to hear the drivetrain engineers explanation? Anyways the V6 sounds amazing, and I'm sure you will have a blast with it!

That is a an interesting choice, to do a super charged V6 and a supercharged V8. You would think they would just do a NA V8 for the lower hp version? It would be interesting to hear the drivetrain engineers explanation? Anyways the V6 sounds amazing, and I'm sure you will have a blast with it!
As I mentioned above, the idea of a V6 made this way really bothered me, it kept me from purchasing one for years. But driving the S variant is so much fun, I just could not resist. It really is sufficiently powerful at any RPM. C+D got into the 12.9 second 1/4 mile range with the S, at about 4.3 sec 0-60. Probably on an ideal day, with top notch fuel. I will probably put a pulley and tune on it. Which should bring it up to 450hp.

Business Insider actually preferred the V6 over the V8, stating: “Take away two cylinders and it becomes a magnificent thing. It’s easily among the best-sounding V6s ever heard.” They conclude “grabbing gears and putting the hammer down in the V6 is a sexy little slice of motoring heaven.”

Last edited:
Yup! For those of us who like to drive, and enjoy a responsive car, you are absolutely correct. Why purchase and drive an appliance? When something that stirs the soul is available.

My last car:
Note: It was fun, but too laggy with the big turbo to be an absolute blast around town.

YGpzmgI.jpg

I've learned that ages ago.. Too big turbo or too big intercooler makes cars slower unless out in the open.

Lots of good "chopped" V6's out there (though in this case they forgot to chop the last two cylinders off :)); that wouldn't bother me a bit. I personally haven't noticed much of a difference in smoothness of a 90 degree V6 compared to a 60 degree, when implemented right with offset/split journals, balance shaft and/or counterweights. I'm sure smoothness and NVH are near the top of the priority list for Jaguar compared to other makes where cost is probably the primary motivator.

That is a really sharp car, congrats.

I drive a Jaguar X-Type with manual transmission and I liked the responsive X-Type so much I purchased another Jaguar. I love convertibles and sports cars and have owned them all my life, my previous car was a Turbocharged S2000 with 405RWHP and before that a 385RWHP turbo Miata. The 12.9 second (maybe) F-Type fits the need perfectly, although not quite as powerfully (both the S2000 and turbo Miata were low 11 sec cars) . It is the S model supercharged 380HP V6 with a fast shifting 8 speed ZF automatic, a noisy burbling exhaust, 19 inch wheels, with bigger brakes. I will probably put an oversized crankshaft pulley and tune on the thing and bring it up to about 450HP, which . It seems the engine is quite tough and will easily take enough boost to bring it well over 500HP. Some of the E-85 tunes are pushing 600HP with good results.

I purchased the car from a used car dealership, and the transaction was not all that smooth and it's not a perfect car (service records are excellent) and needs some minor mechanical/body repairs, but in the end, I got the deal and the car I wanted. Drove it 300 miles so far, and it is an absolute blast.

I was very hesitant to purchase a F-Type as the V6 engine is a V8 with the 2 aft pistons removed, and that bothered me. A very strange setup, and not exactly light weight. But in the end, the car was so much fun, I could not resist.

bv5xvOC.jpg

Hr1Chv1.jpg
Beautiful Car, I just had the Intercooler/Supercharger off of my LR/Jag 3.0 V6 in my 2016 LR4 to replace the Supercharger Snout, Front and Rear Coolant Pipes, Water Pump and Oil Cooler Pipe.. It was a big job and I know my truck will never be as dead reliable as a 4runner BUT I love it, I love how it drives and it's my 4th British vehicle, If I was smarter maybe I would just drive corolla/camry/4runners but I love character in my vehicles just a little too much...

Two points:

1. Absolutely stunning car. Just beautiful (and great pics)
2. The fact it isn't a commonly seen sports car makes it even more beautiful. If that makes sense.

How do the door handles work? Unless I'm missing something, from the images they seem pretty flush all the way through.. Is there a recess to get your fingers under, or do these work electronically somehow?

What was wrong with normal door handles? They look cool and all, but is there an aerodynamic benefit or something over traditional handles?

I pity the person that has to fight that the next morning after a good coating of freezing rain--- something OP doesn't have to deal with :)

Back