Just installed some Goodyears

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought the new Goodyear Eagle GT's in 205/55/16. They replaced Falken 512's. This is on my girlfriends Saturn. The 512's were down to 5/32 in 15,000 miles. I was going to wait until 4/32 to replace them.

I was checking out Tires.com, when I came upon a $100 off coupon for 4 tires installed. They were having a Grand Opening sale for a new location. I was willing to drive across town to save $100.00. The Eagle GT's are $121.00 a piece in the size I needed. So the out the door price was going to be $542.00, then minus the $100 off. So $442.00 out the door for a good tire was a great price.

I called the America's Tire where I bought the 512's from. I asked them about 40,000 mile treadwear warranty. He said the tires have to go down to 2/32 to qualify for the warranty. I was fine with that.

For the [censored] of it. I asked the salesman at the new store, if I qualify for the pro-rated warranty. He just pulled up the info from my last tire purchase. He saw we only had 15,000 miles on them. He types some more and says, $180.00 out the door. WOW. I just handed him my credit card.

I guess while they were installing the tires, two of the studs broke off. They said it happens alot, soft metal and the hot impact gun. I told them stuff happens. I didn't get mad at all. I told them we would go next door for Happy Hour. Call me when it's done. Well we were there for 3 hours. They fianlly come in to the office and hand us the invoice and a $100 dollor bill. He said they were sorry what happen, and they thanked us for be understanding. We walked out with 4 new tires, 2 new wheel studs, 2 new lug nuts for a grand total of $80.00.

001.jpg

I've had to get a new wheel stud before too, because it was cross-threaded and they needed to break it off and install a new one. It's fairly common when people use those air impact guns to install lug nuts before they start to thread them on by hand. Those tires do indeed look nice, all-seasons?

I checked the availability in my area for the heck of it, since they looked like nice tires:
Sorry, but the Goodyear Eagle GT isn't available in 195/60-14, or isn't carried in the Grand Rapids Metro Area. Perhaps they just don't make them in my size..

Wish Mavis Tire in NY was that good, all I got was a headache and a fight for a few $$$$$ off for damaging my center caps!!! Oh yea and then trying to sell me parts I didn't need!!!!!! But hey that's how doing business in NY can be at times.

Frank D

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Those tires do indeed look nice, all-seasons?

They are considered High Performance All-Seasons. They are made in the USA also. We get 9 months of rain up here in Portland. These should work like a champ cutting through the standing water.

You also have some experience with RE960, right? I'd be interested in hearing how these GTs compare to RE960, once you get some miles racked up, of course.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
You also have some experience with RE960, right? I'd be interested in hearing how these GTs compare to RE960, once you get some miles racked up, of course.

The RE960's were on my old 05 Sentra. Her Ion drives way different. But I will let you know how they compare.

Giving you pro-rated price on your old tires that are 5/32 definitely sounds like a good service. I'd imagine most stores won't do that.

Too bad about the lug nuts though, but hey, they made up and that's good enough.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Giving you pro-rated price on your old tires that are 5/32 definitely sounds like a good service. I'd imagine most stores won't do that.

Too bad about the lug nuts though, but hey, they made up and that's good enough.

The terms are usually in the warranty materials, but I thought they'd usually make a big stink over whether or not the tires were rotated for even wear.

Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
sounds like a first class place to do business !

they look like awesome tires too!

Americas/Discount tire is a first class business. They treat their customers right.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
I forgot to ask, how much of the savings did you "invest" during the course of happy-hour?
grin2.gif
grin2.gif
grin2.gif

1 Long Island ice tea $6.50
1 Mojito $7.50
1 Spinach and Artichoke Dip $2.95
1 Spicy tuna rolls $3.95
1 Cod fish and chips $3.95
Wasting 3 hours of your day

Getting 4 new tires for $80.00 = Priceless

Last edited:
Great looking tire. I'll be needing tires on my truck soon. I'd like to replace the Eagle LS2's with those GT's if they come in 20". I am a Goodyear man all the way.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Nice.

I heard the 512's get pretty aweful after passing the half-depth in the treads? Opinions?

Depends on type of vehicle and type of driving. I put 146,000 miles on 512s with my '03 Elantra. The 512 was the best tire I have owned when matched to that vehicle.

I typically ran 42k to 45k miles and replaced them a little before reaching the wear bars. I found the ride quality degraded with 2mm trade left (wear bars are at 1.6mm). "New" depth was 7.5mm (ok, call me obsessed 'cause I measure my tires to 10th of a mm).

However, I didn't think 512s would do as well on my heavier Sonata.

Regards,
GEWB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back