Just Got a Moka Pot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a 15oz bialetti knock-off from Gloria Jeans for $29.99 yesterday and I'm loving it. The first pot I made I used the same grind I use for vac pot and pour over and it came out a little thin so this morning I cranked the grinder down and that helped a lot. I just rolled my eyes at the "stovetop espresso maker" emblazoned across the box but I'm actually surprised at how close moka coffee is to real espresso. It makes a brew that's much better than the steam toy I messed with years ago. I got flavors out of the Tanzanian that both the vac pot and pour over missed. This was going to be just a backup but I think it might quickly become my primary coffee maker.

I hear ya man. I love my Moka pot as well (lol).

I bought my geniune Italian Moka pot a few years ago at TJ Maxx for under $20 and I love the bold taste and ritual of brewing coffee with it.
Why would I want some fancy $100-$1000 espresso maker when the Moka pot rocks in its simplicity?

I was a diehard French presser before but I like brewing with the stovetop espresso maker just as much.

Brew on my friend!

Thanks for the post calvin! I did some quick research after reading it and remembered I got one of those from my daughter for Christmas......Gotta take it for a spin!

I've been using a Starbucks Barista expresso machine for about eight years....it's become habitual as a morning routine. It's gonna be hard to beat the nectar that comes out of that beast.,,,,one or two doubles daily

Last edited:
I have a small one from Walmart, but I can't seem to use it right. It says to use it on medium heat but it take over half an hour to get anything out of it.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
I have a small one from Walmart, but I can't seem to use it right. It says to use it on medium heat but it take over half an hour to get anything out of it.

Try it on high heat and then turn it down to med. when it makes a gurgling noise.

Either that or check that your water level is below the valve line and that your gasket is seated properly and the lower half is tightened enough.

It should take less than 10 mins. closer to 5 mins. for the smaller ones.

I also do not seems to use mine right. I got one as a gift and I normally only brew 2 cups of strained coffee at a time (microwave hot water with coffee, then strain it over a metal strainer). I put in 2 tea spoon in there and it seems to be able to fit 4-5 tea spoon, and I heard that you have to "press" it before you close it up and start boiling.

Is that right?

PandaBear fill up the metal strainer to the brim
but don't press the beans down just make sure it is flat enough to screw on top half. The ground beans need a little room to expand.

Originally Posted By: GenSan
PandaBear fill up the metal strainer to the brim
but don't press the beans down just make sure it is flat enough to screw on top half. The ground beans need a little room to expand.
+1

All coffee makers work best when making a full pot. Some kinds like the moka pot don't work well at all any other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back