Just For Fun -- A Dipstick Where???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ekpolk
Originally Posted by Linctex
I just add washer fluid once a month when I'm looking at everything else under the hood.

That's got to be the stupidest way to spend 50 cents on every car made on that line.

Ding, ding!!! Pretty much what I was thinking. I'd much prefer to have a transmission dipstick, which I don't, understanding perfectly well that including one would be substantially more costly that this little fifty-cent gimmick. Stating the obvious, the consequences of AFT bleeding out (even if a rare occurrence today) make a stick seem genuinely worthwhile, while the "consequences" of running out of washer fluid are what -- a gunky windshield until you can pull into the next convenience store?

Again, I started the thread mainly for fun -- it's almost visual humor to me. I know that, as into gadgets as I am -- and I am -- someone out there out-did me with this one. . . What will they think of next???
crazy.gif

Well - try a typical Honda manual transmission, or at least one from the 90s. No dipstick. Just a wide fill hole and a narrower drain hole. The drain bolt would come out with a 3/8" square fitting - either a socket wrench or breaker bar. The fill bolt had a 17mm head. But the fill hole was mounted sideways. The way to fill it was to use a funnel with flexible extension, or perhaps rig some tubing that would fit over the funnel end and fit into the fill hole. The usual way was to fill it until it started overflowing. The way to check the level later was to pop it open and stick a finger in there to see if there was still fluid at the top. But since a transmission doesn't tend to leak and overfilling won't damage it, it was unlikely to require checking the fluid level. Just change the fluid whenever.

My 2004 manual transmission has a dipstick. But the drain bolt was a huge PITA. It requires a T-70 Torx bit to remove.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
. . .
Well - try a typical Honda manual transmission, or at least one from the 90s. No dipstick. Just a wide fill hole and a narrower drain hole. The drain bolt would come out with a 3/8" square fitting - either a socket wrench or breaker bar. The fill bolt had a 17mm head. But the fill hole was mounted sideways. The way to fill it was to use a funnel with flexible extension, or perhaps rig some tubing that would fit over the funnel end and fit into the fill hole. The usual way was to fill it until it started overflowing. The way to check the level later was to pop it open and stick a finger in there to see if there was still fluid at the top. But since a transmission doesn't tend to leak and overfilling won't damage it, it was unlikely to require checking the fluid level. Just change the fluid whenever.

My 2004 manual transmission has a dipstick. But the drain bolt was a huge PITA. It requires a T-70 Torx bit to remove.

As a matter of fact, I owned one of those. Mine was an 88 Civic 5-speed, which I had for ten years. I changed the transmission oil a couple times. That WAS a pain -- two plugs underneath, and nothing else. I threaded a tube down from the top of the engine and into the filler hole. I just filled until it spilled. At least it only needed simple motor oil instead of something exotic/expensive. Your point is well take.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
. . .

As a matter of fact, I owned one of those. Mine was an 88 Civic 5-speed, which I had for ten years. I changed the transmission oil a couple times. That WAS a pain -- two plugs underneath, and nothing else. I threaded a tube down from the top of the engine and into the filler hole. I just filled until it spilled. At least it only needed simple motor oil instead of something exotic/expensive. Your point is well take.

Mine was a 1995 Acura Integra GS-R. Got about 140K miles on it in 9+ years until it was stolen. Found the next day but stripped of the seats (even damaged ones) and the wheels/tires. Also ripped out the power steering pump and instrument cluster. Took the lighter plug, which had never been used but left behind a $5 bill. But they did abandon it on 3 steel wheels with bald tires and the compact spare.

But back to the transmission, the first time I had a shop do it. This one is well known for charging only the time it takes and not book time. Just 10 minutes labor and 3 quarts of Castrol GTX 10W-30. Later I think I tried Mobil 1 10W-30 myself until I read somewhere it wasn't a great idea. Then Red Line MTL. I might have used motor oil one more time after I bought my WRX, but by that time I was almost ready to sell it. I believe Honda MTL was back spec'ed for that transmission. I remember reading that once the fluid was changed from motor oil to Honda MTL the recommended "normal" change period went from 30K miles to 90K miles.

I hate those plastic flimsy dipsticks....worst one I have seen is on Camaros for coolant level. Very hard to read.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blupupher
Originally Posted by StevieC

If I'm popping the cap to fill it and I don't see anything in the portion I can see I'm topping it off at whatever level whether it's a little or a lot. You are already there and have it open you should have the jug in hand to refill. It's going to be impossible to get an accurate read on a black dipstick for something as runny as windshield washer fluid, even in perfect lighting as we can see above. Sorry this is just dumb - dipstick. Further most vehicles have idiot lights anyway. My Dodge vehicles have had it since the 1980's!

So when I open my hood I should have a bottle of oil, brake fluid, ATF, PSF, coolant and washer fluid in hand every time I check them just in case?
What if your checking at the gas station? Oh, wait, I should carry that around in my vehicles at all time too?

Apparently you have never used one. There are holes in the plastic, and whatever level the fluid is at will have fluid in the hole, the color of the plastic is not relevant. They work very well.
I also think they may be there more for the service techs at quick lubes and such, if more than 3/4 full, they don't top off, saves them a few pennies???

When I'm at the service station filling up, I pop the hood, check the oil with the dipstick, visually check the oil in the power steering, over flow coolant bottle and then pop the cap on my windshield washer fluid. If it's not full to the top of the neck I go to the back of my van pop the trunk and get the fluids I need. It takes Sooooooooo much time I schedule for it.
smirk2.gif

By the time I [censored] around with looking at that dipstick in the proper light to see it holding the liquid in the slotted holes if it actually works I could have filled the darn thing up to the cap. It's going to take far longer than walking to the trunk and grabbing the bottle and pouring it in even if I had it already beside me when I popped the cap.
21.gif

Last edited:
A dipstick for a fluid whose level does not matter?

This is a tank with non-critical fluid that's meant to be filled completely. The level doesn't matter. Just keep a jug at home and fill it on a regular basis.

Even on weeks that I'm tackling a lot of Alligator Alley during the summer (bugs galore) I have never found myself in a situation where I found myself crying "Had I only known it was 1/3 full!!!!".

What exactly are the chances that a person who is knowledgeable enough to open their hood and check a washer fluid dipstick doesn't know to top off their washer fluid regularly?

If one is wondering how much fluid is in there, just pop a jug (available anywhere at all) and fill that bad boy.

My 92 Accord has a dipstick in the washer fluid reservoir. It's a Styrofoam piece that floats. The filler neck is graduated, so you can see how full the reservoir is by looking at the graduation closest to the top of the dipstick.

Originally Posted by Kestas
I am an irrepressible gadget freak, so I shouldn't complain, I guess, but I'd trade this thing for an ATF dipstick in a heartbeat. Is this as goofy as I think it is -- or am I overreacting???

I think you're upset because they removed content that is useful, yet added content that is frivolous.

I'd agree with the sentiment. I don't need a washer fluid dipstick, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back