Just did first oil change on my 2022 4runner

Just did my first oil change on my 2022 4runner today! Went relatively easy, took less time than I tought even for removing skid plates. 6 months 7400 km, out :factory fill, in : Valvoline advanced full synthetic 0w20 and OEM filter. I plan on keeping my oil drain interval at 6 months 8000 km. Don't know if it's just me, but engine seems smoother and quieter on Valvoline advanced...

Getting the factory fill out in a short time is a good idea. Perhaps you'll eventually warm up to using the OLM instead of a set amount since you seem to put on a decent bit of miles in a year.

Toyota recommends 1 year 16000 km for oil change... Since we got fairly strong winter here in quebec, and my daily commute is fairly short, never went over 8000 km and change oil between seasons so at about 6 months.. and since I'm in Canada, we use Km instead of miles, so I was just short of 5000 miles on my oil change.

Toyota recommends 1 year 16000 km for oil change... Since we got fairly strong winter here in quebec, and my daily commute is fairly short, never went over 8000 km and change oil between seasons so at about 6 months.. and since I'm in Canada, we use Km instead of miles, so I was just short of 5000 miles on my oil change.
I agree. I would stick with 5000 mile changes in the future.

On my Tundra, bought new, the factory fill came out at 2,500. For my truck, severe service is 2,500 and normal is 5,000 because of the flex fuel. For non-flex fuel, the severe is 5,000 and normal is 10,000.

So, you’re doing what I did, and I think you’re doing fine. I’m really pleased with the engine on my truck, smooth, powerful, doesn’t use a drop of oil over the OCI.

I‘m a fan of thoughtful maintenance. I’m a bit, just a bit, OCD, and cutting the first interval in half makes sense to me. Thereafter, normal oil changes with a quality oil and you’re good to go.

But I’m curious. In the US, my truck was under “Toyota Care” for the first two years. The dealer changed the oil gratis.

Is that not the case in Canada?

Nope, no free oil change here, and I wouldn't go anyway, had some real bad experience with my last truck so I no longer have trust in dealership work. Want to keep this truck for a long time, so will take care of it myself. The "free" oil change isn't really free here, you have to pay 1800$+taxes more for 3 years worth of maintenance... Which is only 3 oil change with their recommendation... And on top of that they add a "ceramic coat".. which I do myself anyway so I didn't pay that price...

Back