Just Bought IS250 AWD with 107k on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like the engine was well maintained. I haven't seen any real measurable consumption in the 2k or so I've driven in in the last 6 weeks.

I'd appreciate any commentary on the oil recommendations for the 4GR-FSE.

Plans at this point are to use a 5w-20 or 0w-20 Penn Ultra Platinum Plus since I do a lot of short trips and the engine spends probably 1/3rd of its time below operating temp.

Justin

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Put some thought into the other fluids, brake, tranny, rear dif, p/s.

Yeah, I'm on that, too. I'll stick with factory stuff for trans. Diffs and driveline I've always had good luck with Redline. Factory fill is synthetic, so I'm not really eager to swap all those fluids, even after 100k.

Brake fluid looks super clean, almost like water. This is my first Lexus, so there's quite a learning curve compared to my trust 02 Dodge Diesel.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
Sweet! Congrats on the new toy!

Thanks. I sold my 02 Dodge in sig just because it was seeming about to really accelerate the rate of decay, and the resale was still stupid high. Enough for me to roll into a much nicer, newer vehicle and still get cash out of the deal.

Almost anyone can drive a Lexus, but having paid cash for it was the realization of a lifelong goal (pay cash for nice car).

Originally Posted By: Hohn
Originally Posted By: hypervish
Sweet! Congrats on the new toy!

Thanks. I sold my 02 Dodge in sig just because it was seeming about to really accelerate the rate of decay, and the resale was still stupid high. Enough for me to roll into a much nicer, newer vehicle and still get cash out of the deal.

Almost anyone can drive a Lexus, but having paid cash for it was the realization of a lifelong goal (pay cash for nice car).

Congrats.

Brake fluid looks super clean, almost like water. This is my first Lexus, so there's quite a learning curve compared to my trust 02 Dodge Diesel.

Well if it's DOT3/4/5.1 it is hygroscopic and should really be changed every 2-3 years.

I make sure to change my trans/diff lube every 36K without regard to what the manufacturer says.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tabor
Hohn said:
I make sure to change my trans lube every 36K without regard to what the manufacturer says.
+1, differentials get it too if easy enough to get at.

Welcome to the Lex club!

Finest cars on the planet.

I would check to see if the coolant has ever been changed. Hopefully it's still red or pink and you can drain/refill with the proper OEM coolant.

Plans at this point are to use a 5w-20 or 0w-20 Penn Ultra Platinum Plus since I do a lot of short trips and the engine spends probably 1/3rd of its time below operating temp.

Justin

The best oil for your engine particularly with your short trips scenerio is the OEM Toyota brand 0W-20. It's much lighter on start-up than PUP 5W/0W-20; put simply a better 20 grade oil isn't available for the the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back