Just a thought!

A lot of folks enjoy the low prices of Super Tech, Kirkland and other store brands that are manufactured by Warren Oil Products and/or Warren Distribution. Many mention the fact that that they are not paying for marketing for those brands. I’ll give you that but, what about research and development? I have looked at the websites for both companies and see nothing mentioned about research and development, running an engine lab, etc. My question. How do these companies develop their formulations? Do they live off of the work of companies like Exxonmobil, Valvoline and others?
Research and development?
That has already been done by the suppliers of the additives and basestocks. The blend formulations are purchased with the package.
These formulations have already been tested and passed the specified parameters for the specifications on the bottle at the Southwest research institute (or other independent lab). No. formulation gets the specifications with out the testing (correct me if I am wrong here) Examples -
https://www.lubesngreases.com/magazine/24_2/testing-in-texas/

In a way, yes the added price paid for major brands is subsidizing the smaller independent blenders who buy over the counter additive and base oil packages. They then benefit from low to non existent marketing cost. Lower priced packaging reduces costs more and then integrating distribution into a preexisting distribution system such as Walmart’s or Costco’s reduces distribution costs(and not having to incentivize retailers for shelf space). So the buyer wins, with a formulation the majors did the R&D on, all at a lower price point.
If a blender were to make unapproved substitutions they would lose their ability to produce licensed products.

Last edited:
their current oils use petrocanada HVI and VHVI (low rent Group III) and the DI package from somebody, probably lubrizol as stated above. of course they pay full price for the stuff mobil or shell gets cheap and still turn a good profit.

the majors make much more money on their finished product than small ball golf ball players like warren.
Do you have some inside information to back up your claim?

Do you have some inside information to back up your claim?
He has repeated that claim on multiple threads but has yet to offer anything of substance related to his claim. It is natural to have bias's and it takes work to overcome them After a lifetime of conditioning,

Last edited:
petrocanada’s base oils have a unique msds signature and it’s present on all the warren ilsac oils

go look it up yourself
Can you describe the signature and how you are determining a relationship? secondly why it would have any relationship to the final performance of the formulation?

Can you describe the signature and how you are determining a relationship? secondly why it would have any relationship to the final performance of the formulation?

Lubricating oils (petroleum), CXX-XX, hydrotreated neutral oil-based.

compare all the readily available base oils one by one and only purity lists this. purity vhvi is sold as a group III+ alternative for a cost conscious blender.

Lubricating oils (petroleum), CXX-XX, hydrotreated neutral oil-based.

compare all the readily available base oils one by one and only purity lists this.

SDS’s are intended purely to supply emergency responders with information for spills, fires and human exposures. it Is by no means a formuation. Many times a manufacturer will uses an sds that is common accross all lines but use the most volatile/harmful product of a similar type and use that across the line.
Have you seen what Mobil 1 is doing in sds’s lately? They have left it wide open with “synthetic base oils”
regardless it is hard to worry much based on actual performance.
My career for over 25 years includes management of SDSs for facilities and projects management and emergency response. I understand the purpose of these documents and trade secrets will not be gleaned from them.

Back