Just a Rant about UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
I guess it depends where you live.......I have had excellent service from UPS, and always have the same driver.

FedEx.....I have never seen the same driver twice. They fail to deliver about half the time, because they screw up our address, even though original receipt has it written correctly.

The crowning FedEx glory is that they throw packages into the snow bank at the end of my 300' driveway, rather than take them to the house up the (Cleared of snow) driveway. UPS ALWAYS delivers to my door.......I have to search the snow regularly for FedEx packages, or wait until spring, to find them.

that bit about never seeing the same fed ex guy twice, doesn't make sense to me... cuz fedex delivery drivers aren't actual fedex employees, they are private contractors that buy that route(for 10's of thousands of dollars,often $25k+), and their own trucks, fuel, etc.

the only one i can really complain about around here are the rual route carriers for the USPS. if the pkg doesn't fit in the mailbox, they rubber band it to the outside of the box, or cram in as far in as they can, and leave the rest just hanging out into the street, or maybe if it's just a little large, maybe use a rubber band to "hold" the door semi closed.
all instead of pulling in the driveway, and setting things up on the front stoop. (which is what UPS/FEDEX Do) the driveway is concrete, maybe 100' long.(fits 6 cars tops)

favorite example, years back, Folks were on vacation, I was working thirds, so snoozing all day. in the mail one day, were about 6 boxes of checks they had ordered. they wouldn't fit in the mailbox, so he just sat them on top of the newspaper box beside the mail box, and left them there.

anyone that's ordered checks, knows what a box of checks looks like. and could have really screwed up my parent's finances easily.

luckily one of our honest(now passed) neighbors spotted this, and scooped them up for safe keeping.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

DHL is another story
mad.gif

eye rolling intensifies

You to huh? I ordered a part from Sears once, then twice, three times and then a forth. Last three were reships from Sears at their expense. The fourth shipment, by USPS I actually got. The three DHL shipments, I got them a few weeks later when a lady found me in the phone book and told me she had three boxes on her porch with my name on them. It seems DHL has no clue what east or west is or the little numbers on highway signs. I live on the east side of town, about 12 miles out in the country. The packages were on a different highway about 20 miles on the other side of town. Basically, they wasn't even close.

Most packages come to me UPS. The driver knows where I live because he comes in the fall and picks him some greens. That would be mustard, turnip and collard greens. FedEx knows because I set up a account complete with directions, step by step, plus I described my place here, garden, large magnolia tree, large shop etc etc. Generally, ammo orders come through FedEx. Carefully. lol

I also get some things through USPS. Generally, it works. The only thing I like, they deliver on Saturdays. Depending on where a package is coming from and how long it takes, that could get it to me faster. It doesn't have to wait until Monday in the back of a truck somewhere.

I think someone else said it best. It just depends on where you are and who is or is not working. I've had the same UPS driver for many years. USPS people stay the same too. If FedEx can't find me with the directions I left them, they shouldn't even be driving. It would seem, DHL can't even find where they live. They seem to be not working at all. It seems I am not alone with that experience either.

I've had great luck with UPS, the delivery driver that delivers to my office usually has the same route that my house is on. If a package requires a signature and I'm not home he just swings by my office and drops it for me, I never even had to say anything to him, he just figured it all out. FedEx on the other hand always seems to show up a day later than their delivery times. I've had packages that come up as delivered on the tracking info that I don't see till late the next day, so someone is scanning them in as delivered while still on the truck and not making the actual delivery till the next day.

Another vote for UPS here.

It's all about the driver, and we've had 3 across 12 years in this home. They have all been uniformly professional and enthusiastic about their job.

That makes them the most pleasant to deal with...

I normally have very good luck with UPS. They are my top choice. The most recent shipping issue I had was with a Walmart site to store order.. which I blame the 3rd party vendor for. Not UPS or Walmarts's fault.

FedEx I normally get on time or pretty close the estimated delivery date, but they never seem to keep their tracking info updated. I like tracking my orders.

I avoid USPS whenever I can even if it costs more money. They are always slow and never update the tracking information. Too laid back IMO.

My .02

Worst thing is, we have an AWESOME UPS driver-it's their distribution center, they just don't care, at all. Many times FedEx Ground comes early, on Saturday, must be trying to get extra work done.

I have had more trouble with USPS over the years. FedEx seems to deliver the cleanest packages, whereas the packages that come from UPS are usually pretty dirty. I am assuming the trucks rarely get an interior cleaning. Such is life.

My experience based upon shipping/receiving 1000s of packages from/to from Houston to all points:

#1 - Fed-Ex
#2 - USPS
#3 - DHL
#4 - UPS

I have never had a problem with Fed-Ex (Air or Ground) and like every thing else--rates can be negotiated.

Lately, USPS has been making a come-back on my opinion list (I recently ordered a package from Amazon and it was delivered on a Sunday and by USPS no less!).

DHL has been OK for global deliveries (though they can be pricey), but has never lost a package for our company.

UPS, on the other hand, has been (IMHO) and remains on an steady downhill slide. My last experience with them was that I ordered a part online for overnight delivery and for 4 days it left the terminal and returned to the terminal until it was finally delivered on the fifth day. Certainly not the fault of the online company, because it was entered into UPS' database at the end of the day when I ordered it (UPS pickup was indicated). The package was not that small either, so it remains a mystery why a package set for overnight delivery ran back and forth between the terminal and the delivery route for four days before it was "magically" found and finally delivered.

Hello, My money's on the individuals involved. Too many people display an open belligerence toward their jobs.
Can you imagine the work to trace a shipping company's customer's complaint back to or through the people involved?

A friend's spotting scope (a handy telescope) was taken from the box a 6 foot reflector telescope UPS delivered.

A set of floor mats I bought was left in the rain right next to the overhang everyone uses-FedEx

A torque converter was slammed maliciously onto the truck's deck when I took my turn at the tail end of the USPS truck in a rural setting.

People are garbage sometimes. I would bet there's more to the story in the OP's "100% of the time" histories.

My cousin worked in a UPS facility in Texas where he said they were constantly berated as thieves and scum by management. Could that engender bad behavior?, I ask. Kira

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
My experience based upon shipping/receiving 1000s of packages from/to from Houston to all points:

#1 - Fed-Ex
#2 - USPS
#3 - DHL
#4 - UPS

I have never had a problem with Fed-Ex (Air or Ground) and like every thing else--rates can be negotiated.

Lately, USPS has been making a come-back on my opinion list (I recently ordered a package from Amazon and it was delivered on a Sunday and by USPS no less!).

DHL has been OK for global deliveries (though they can be pricey), but has never lost a package for our company.

UPS, on the other hand, has been (IMHO) and remains on an steady downhill slide. My last experience with them was that I ordered a part online for overnight delivery and for 4 days it left the terminal and returned to the terminal until it was finally delivered on the fifth day. Certainly not the fault of the online company, because it was entered into UPS' database at the end of the day when I ordered it (UPS pickup was indicated). The package was not that small either, so it remains a mystery why a package set for overnight delivery ran back and forth between the terminal and the delivery route for four days before it was "magically" found and finally delivered.

That's the same with my hitch. Amazon sent it out that day. It sat in UPS' facility for a week before they finally sent it. Then it got delayed again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back