Just a Rant about UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some back story -

I have been buying / selling things online since 2006 or so. I have (unfortunately) had to do a lot of business with UPS. For some reason, they will deliver to places FedEx or the USPS cannot.

Nothing but problems when ordering from Newegg and using UPS. Nothing but problems when ordering from Amazon and using UPS.

They once delivered a computer to the wrong city ... To my old address. I'm not sure their logic, but they tried to deliver at my current address, contacted the vendor, got my old address (NOT SURE HOW?!) and delivered it there. Had to call an old neighbor to retrieve the package off of the porch.

Of course, then there's the morons that work in the UPS store. Yes - the one who called the police on me because SHE wouldn't ship something with a pre-printed label. Apparently UPS never told their employees that they have pre-printed labels. She overreacted when I said I need to speak to her manager and called the police.

I used to sell laptops on ebay. 100% of the time, UPS would "lose" them. Guess it was my fault for shipping laptops in ... laptop boxes. I learned to insure them for their full value so I could refund when they got lost and not lose money myself.

Most recently, I bought a hitch last week. Free shipping. Great! Oh, wait, it's UPS. I'm sure they will screw it up -- that's what I thought to myself.

Yup! UPS screwed up.

The hitch sat in Redmond Wa for a week because they forgot to put it on a trailer!?!?! Then, of course, as it's on its way here, it got delayed again.

I understand they really only want to do B2B, but do they really have to jerk around consumers?

BTW - in the past 8 years, I have NEVER had a SINGLE problem with FedEx or USPS. Yet, somehow, UPS manages to screw up 100% of orders.

Looks like it might be in mid next week. Which is going to cost me more money ... because instead of using my Focus to pick up an axle, I'm going to have to pick up an axle in a 12MPG pickup.

Awesome!

Moral of the story: Spring extra for USPS or FedEx delivery and don't keep giving the goons at UPS the benefit of the doubt.

I think they all have occasional burps. My oil sample sits some place for awhile before being delivered to Indianapolis. It always gets there but takes 3 weeks. (USPS)

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Some back story -

I have been buying / selling things online since 2006 or so. I have (unfortunately) had to do a lot of business with UPS. For some reason, they will deliver to places FedEx or the USPS cannot.

Nothing but problems when ordering from Newegg and using UPS. Nothing but problems when ordering from Amazon and using UPS.

They once delivered a computer to the wrong city ... To my old address. I'm not sure their logic, but they tried to deliver at my current address, contacted the vendor, got my old address (NOT SURE HOW?!) and delivered it there. Had to call an old neighbor to retrieve the package off of the porch.

Of course, then there's the morons that work in the UPS store. Yes - the one who called the police on me because SHE wouldn't ship something with a pre-printed label. Apparently UPS never told their employees that they have pre-printed labels. She overreacted when I said I need to speak to her manager and called the police.

I used to sell laptops on ebay. 100% of the time, UPS would "lose" them. Guess it was my fault for shipping laptops in ... laptop boxes. I learned to insure them for their full value so I could refund when they got lost and not lose money myself.

Most recently, I bought a hitch last week. Free shipping. Great! Oh, wait, it's UPS. I'm sure they will screw it up -- that's what I thought to myself.

Yup! UPS screwed up.

The hitch sat in Redmond Wa for a week because they forgot to put it on a trailer!?!?! Then, of course, as it's on its way here, it got delayed again.

I understand they really only want to do B2B, but do they really have to jerk around consumers?

BTW - in the past 8 years, I have NEVER had a SINGLE problem with FedEx or USPS. Yet, somehow, UPS manages to screw up 100% of orders.

Looks like it might be in mid next week. Which is going to cost me more money ... because instead of using my Focus to pick up an axle, I'm going to have to pick up an axle in a 12MPG pickup.

Awesome!

Moral of the story: Spring extra for USPS or FedEx delivery and don't keep giving the goons at UPS the benefit of the doubt.

These threads are similar all over the internet. People hate FedEx Ground and say use UPS and vice versa. I never had an issue using UPS.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Some back story -

once delivered a computer to the wrong city ... To my old address. I'm not sure their logic, but they tried to deliver at my current address, contacted the vendor, got my old address (NOT SURE HOW?!) and delivered it there. Had to call an old neighbor to retrieve the package off of the porch.

Yup! UPS screwed up.

Awesome!

These threads are similar all over the internet. People hate FedEx Ground and say use UPS and vice versa. I never had an issue using UPS.

I think these companies keep lists of customers to constantly give problems. They have to. How can they screw up, literally, 100% of my packages yet manage to do well for others?

I'm glad I'm on the "this guy is cool, bring him his stuff with no monkey business" list. I've never had a problem. Got 3-4 packages last week. I wouldn't be surprised if much of your trouble stems from who you're ordering it from, not the carrier. Just because you ordered it on the Amazon website doesn't mean it's coming from Amazon.

I have incredible luck with all shippers and we typically receive 1-4 packages a week. We are Amazon prime addicts.

.......so this is why you shipped my RCU via FedEx

I've had a mostly positive experience with both, but I do know that depending on the area, and the people they hire.

DHL is another story
mad.gif

eye rolling intensifies

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I have incredible luck with all shippers and we typically receive 1-4 packages a week. We are Amazon prime addicts.

Pretty much the same thing here. I bought 4 GY tires through Amazon with prime 2 day shipping. I told the local driver they were coming and to drop them at the back door. He didn't even wait for a sig.

Wayne

I think most of the problems depend greatly on what area you live in and who works for those particular companies.

In my area it goes from UPS being the most reliable, to FedEx and then the USPS coming in dead last.

My UPS guy is great, and I always seem to get things 1 day earlier than the suggested delivery time. FedEx isn't the best, they are usually on time but the packages are damaged. They've put holes in stuff I didn't even know it was possible to damage. I received a flowmaster muffler once that looked like it had a bullet hole in it. Those things are as thick as skid plates.
crazy.gif
My buddy worked for FedEx and he said most of their warehouse workers consisted of immigrants who would kick around the packages. He even showed me a video on his phone of some guys playing baseball with the packages and hitting them with a long steel pole. That might explain the damage.
shocked.gif

The USPS is the worst around here. I've had stuff "disappear", or end up sitting in some warehouse for a week because it was forgotten about. My neighbor had them throw some of his packages and mail in the snow, even though his driveway and mailbox were perfectly clear and accessible.

My friend who lives two towns over has the opposite experience. FedEx is the best, USPS is somewhere in the middle, and UPS is lousy. It all depends on who is working (or not working) in your area.

I fail to see how this is their fault. They attempted delivery at the correct address and were unable to do so. 99% of the time this is because it's a signature required package and you're not there to sign for it. That's not their fault. Then they were told by the shipper (their customer) to deliver it to a different address. That's not their fault either, they're just following their customer's orders. It's the shipper's fault for telling them to deliver it to that address.

Whenever I have a package to ship (not often) I usually use USPS. I have received plenty of packages through FedEx, UPS, and USPS, and never had a problem with any of them.

I think these companies keep lists of customers to constantly give problems. They have to. How can they screw up, literally, 100% of my packages yet manage to do well for others?

It would seem so, wouldn't it? It seems to simply be the luck of the draw.

I really haven't had problems with any of the three majors (UPS/FedEx/USPS). I prefer UPS over the others because their tracking is very up to date and the package often arrives a day earlier than first expected. FedEx often uses "Smart Ship" or "Smart Post" where FedEx delivers it to a local post office and the USPS then takes over. A day or so is often lost in that connection, but we've never lost a package with any of the three options.

I have had a lot of issues with UPS over the last few years. Significantly more problems than I have had with FedEx or USPS.

When I worked for a power equipment repair company, the vast majority of the parts I ordered were shipped via either UPS or FedEx. With FedEx, it was always the same driver, and he always showed up at roughly the same time each day. I don't think I ever had any issues with damaged FedEx packages. The only issue I had is they wouldn't pick up air shipments on their ground trucks. UPS was a totally different story...they would damage incoming and outgoing boxes, drivers frequently changed, and when they would show up was totally unpredictable.

I remember one incident where I had ordered a bunch of Subaru Robin carbs that were around $200 a piece. When the box arrived, it had been repacked and relabeled by UPS. I opened the box up to find the mangled original box thrown inside with loose carbs just rolling around. Some of the original packing material was still in there, but UPS made no effort to try to prevent further damage. Not that it really mattered at that point, the carbs had been destroyed when they mangled the original box. The linkages were bent beyond use.

Another time they destroyed an outgoing box I had. About four or five days after they picked it up, I found the box back on my loading dock, but mangled up with the shipping label torn off. After destroying the box and label, they couldn't figure out where to send it, so they just dumped it on my dock.

Apparently they use a meat grinder somewhere in their conveyor system. UPS had an incredible ability to absolutely destroy packages. Never had that happen with FedEx. One of the best things about leaving that job was not having to deal with UPS on a daily basis anymore. It was a daily headache with them.

My most recent UPS incident was when they shipped a catalytic converter to the wrong address. They mixed up the street number and delivered the $500 part several houses down from the correct address. Luckily the neighbor who got it was honest and let me know. I tried calling UPS and was never able to get anyone on the phone who could tell me anything other than the package "had been delivered."

The only reason UPS is still as successful as they are is because they offer the lowest shipping rates for many businesses. A lot of businesses avoid FedEx simply because it costs more. UPS certainly isn't winning people over with customer service or accurate deliveries.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
.......so this is why you shipped my RCU via FedEx

I've had a mostly positive experience with both, but I do know that depending on the area, and the people they hire.

DHL is another story
mad.gif

eye rolling intensifies

Absolutely. I used to sell Mach RCUs fairly regularly. Back in the day, I could buy them for $25 from the local junkyard and sell them online for $110 ... add in another $50 or so for the mach speakers. After I had one or two RCUs get completely destroyed by UPS, I started shipping them FedEx.

Originally Posted By: hatt
I'm glad I'm on the "this guy is cool, bring him his stuff with no monkey business" list. I've never had a problem. Got 3-4 packages last week. I wouldn't be surprised if much of your trouble stems from who you're ordering it from, not the carrier. Just because you ordered it on the Amazon website doesn't mean it's coming from Amazon.

I won't buy third party from amazon unless it's text books.

OP:
Make sure your current address is in the national lookup database properly and in the same format. You may have a concurrent old account with Amazon or ?? with an improper address.

When my buddy and I were buying up used highend HI_FI gear, a lot of it would get delivered from OOPS like it was air dropped without a parachute - even when the units were packaged well. I prefer wadded newspapers as overpack over them dang foam peanuts. Somehow I got a mid fi vintage Sansui Turntable in one piece. Now to restore it for worn Vinyl Dance party vintage Stereo use
smile.gif

Last edited:
My last UPS experience. Ordered a used computer for my Pontiac - it was raining the day of delivery - they delivered in front of my garage out in the rain instead of on my covered front porch - a 30 ft walk. They placed the box in a plastic bag but didn't tie the bag. The wind blew it around so I didn't see it when I looked out my garage checking for delivery. Found it the next day - thoroughly soaked. Computer inside the soaked box was wet, but not destroyed thankfully. Thanks a lot UPS for caring so much.

I guess it depends where you live.......I have had excellent service from UPS, and always have the same driver.

FedEx.....I have never seen the same driver twice. They fail to deliver about half the time, because they screw up our address, even though original receipt has it written correctly.

The crowning FedEx glory is that they throw packages into the snow bank at the end of my 300' driveway, rather than take them to the house up the (Cleared of snow) driveway. UPS ALWAYS delivers to my door.......I have to search the snow regularly for FedEx packages, or wait until spring, to find them.

We get regular deliveries from FedEx and UPS. We're approx 160ft from the road and they always drive in and either leave it in the open garage or on the covered front porch. Never any damage or problems. Live about 7 mi from the small town PO that delivers our mail but only 1 mile from an even smaller PO that I usually ship parcels from. Haven't had any USPS problems in almost 18 years. The Priority packages I've been sending from Small Town OH to the PO box in Small Town MT usually take 4 days, to Tulsa OK usually 3. Can't hardly complain about that.

I have a mailman that can't deliver mail to the right house on the same block - it's been his route for years. I don't know how or who sorts the mail for delivery, but you'd think it was rocket science or cold fusion going on.
eek.gif

One day I put a slug of mail that he mis-delivered to me with a note in the out going slot to let him know he was delivering mail to the wrong house. He stuck a response note near the out going slot that said "Find perfection in yourself - not in your mailbox". I wrote back and said "Can you please do the same - thank you!"

Seems some people really don't care if they do their job right or not. Quality is not job one sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back