Junior Johnson's midnight moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Anybody ever tried this stuff?

Is it beer or HOOOooch? Sounds interesting.

Last edited:
Yes Ive had it. Bought some at Atlanta Motor Speedway back in 06. Taste like a ss. Ever tried Everclear? very similar untasty [censored].

Yes, I've had Everclear. Great for mixing fru-fru drinks; not so good for anything else.

I stopped by my local ABC store yesterday to see if they had the J.J.M.M. They did. I didn't buy any, but I may try it this weekend, just for kicks. Mixed with good ole southern lemonade, it can't be bad.

Should be a NASCAR sponsor....
19.gif

Well, I finally tried some Midnight Moon over the weekend. I found it in the local state-run booze-mart down the street from my house. To me, it tastes a lot like vodka. But then again, I sort of expected that.

....and Papa Bear, I think it WAS a NASCAR sponsor for a while, just after it's release. Not sure if they're sponsoring anyone currently.

Junior Johnson is one of the original NASCAR greats. One of the founders of the NASCAR circuit. He ran moonshine in the 40's and 50's, driving vintage, souped up, moonshine running cars of that era in the hills of the south, evading the feds. To this day he is on record as being proud of that. He was arrested and convicted of running shine (as I remember) twice. The phrase "Midnight Moon" originally referred to the moonshine that he ran in the middle of the night, preferably during a full moon, when he could run by the light of the full moon and thus not have to use headlights. Headlights would have let the feds know that he was coming. The phrase "Midnight Moon" is also, in the lore of shine running, a reference to the fact that Junior ran so fast that the rear end of his rig, in effect, "mooned" the feds that attempted to run him down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back