Juan pablo Montoya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Montoya is a chop of note, he went to F1 mouthing off that he was so much better that them only to get his butt handed to him time and again. He is a dirty driver with a horses mouth. And after he ran away because he realised he was sub-standard he still challenges Schumacher and says he will beat him in NASCAR....really what a clown!! He wishes that he had half the skill that Schumacher has. Look at how well Hamilton and Alonso are doing in those Mclarens now, it that were Montoya he would he wrecking the car and blaming the team for a poor car, or the tyres or something or other....

Based on the money available to the drivers in NASCAR if Juan ends the year in the top twenty drivers he will make more money than Schumacher. Remember it's all about the money!

Juan did OK yesterday. He won and though I haven't watched the the whole race, it appears he only crashed one guy along the way. Being as it was Kyle Busch, I have to say I approve.
laugh.gif

He's 21st in the points, the highest he's been all year I believe. Maybe they could start a separate "we crash a lot and crash a lot of others, but do ok on roadcourses" series for Juan and Robby Gordon.

ALS is right, it is about the money in Nascar. Back when people we're talking about Schumacher's $5 million a year contract, some of us noticed that Dale Jr. made about $12 million the same year and didn't win much at all to do it...

I was there, it was one of the best races I've seen in person, even though my favs didn't get the checkers. Hey congrats to JPM, he earned that one. I would have won 80 bucks off my friends if McMurry would have won, my best friend actually picked Montoya, ...ker.

marco246: "JPM is arrogant and he has a big mouth. For all that he is a world-class driver with 8 F1 race wins under his belt as well as an Indy 500 win and at least one CART championship. He had the misfortune to be in F1 during the Schumacher era; otherwise, I believe he'd have done a little better. He recently won the 24 hours of Daytona; I think that was his first endurance race. He'll be good for NASCAR, and I look forward to his racing against the good ole boys. He won't be the only guy out there with arrogance and a big mouth."

Of all the posts in this thread, this is the one I agree with the most. I'll also add that he has a propensity to whine. I'm talking Luke Skywalker, get-under-your-skin whining.
laugh.gif

Even guys who leave F1 under a cloud are some of the most talented in the world. But NASCAR is very different from F1. I wouldn't expect JPM to be an instant success ... but I expect him to do very well late in the year and next year provided he has a decent team and car.

Well I guess I was wrong on the money side. What is interesting is that the $40 million salary they paid Schumacher works out to a $11,500 premium added to every car they sell. Ferrari produces 3500 cars per year.

yeah he is the colombian tony stewart as far as mouth but doesnt have the driving skills of tony stewart... tony stewart is the best DRIVER out there.. imo

Quote:

Well I guess I was wrong on the money side. What is interesting is that the $40 million salary they paid Schumacher works out to a $11,500 premium added to every car they sell. Ferrari produces 3500 cars per year.

IIRC, Marlboro/Philip Morris paid a large portion of MS's salary. That was the only way Ferrari could afford to poach him from Benetton in 1995. I presume the pay structure remained pretty much unchanged until last year.

I don't think anyone has ever said Montoya wasn't talented. Just that the hype surrounding him is about 5X that of his actual skill.

There's some sentiment that he's somehow a cut above the drivers in Nascar. Don't believe it for a minute. He is better than many in the field but not all of them, Gordon and Stewart in particular. I'd say the race results we've seen this year make that point pretty clear to anyone who's paying attention.

So I think congratulations for him doing well on a road course and having a car that got great gas mileage is in order.

Then lets see how he runs the rest of the year. Once your clear away the hype, the race results are what matter...;)

They say Ferrari is spending upwards of $300 million per year on their F1 team. sponsorship probably covers most of that and Fiat is still the parent company too.

Quote:

Based on the money available to the drivers in NASCAR if Juan ends the year in the top twenty drivers he will make more money than Schumacher. Sorry wrong. Schumie got $58m in 2005, not sure in 2006. Montoya took a massive pay cut to join NASCAR where drivers average around $5m per annum

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/53/5WRJ.html

And remember that is just what Shumie earned as salary, he has an estimated wealth of 1/2 Billion Dollars and he is still paid a $10M per year retainer by Ferrari. JPM will work his whole life to earn a fraction of what Shumie has already made....not to mention the free Ferraris they hand him...What do they give JPM a free Chevie or Ford or whatever?
laugh.gif
You can't honestly compare the two, Shumie is in a different league in earning, talent and character...

Quote:

IMO, F1 misses a racer like JPM.
They homologate the rules just when his talent would have shine.
Eliminate the car, so they can show that the driver actually is not just along for the ride.

That wouldn't work.

What we are seeing in F1 is the competition between drivers on the same team: Fernando Alonzo vs Lewis Hamilton, Felipe Massa vs Kimi Räikkönen, Nick Heidfeld vs Robert Kubica. Identical cars on each team, and no clear #1 and #2 drivers.

Obviously some teams have a financial advantage. Other well-funded teams (Toyota, Honda) are not doing as well as some of the low-budget teams (Super-Aguri).

I don't know how Juan Pablo would be doing, if he was still driving in F1. The top three teams have the drivers they want -- drivers who usually keep their cars on the road until the checkered flag. JPM seemed to break a lot of cars too, and with the current rules the engines have to last for two races.

F1 needs more talent in the cockpit, especially Renault, Toyota and Honda. Those teams have drivers that do not know how to win in cars that with some work can win. They are drivers that can not drive around problems and can do little to help sort out a car during practice. Any one of those teams would do well to hire DC during his twilight years. DC is very good at getting the setup right, which would help the development efforts. Right now these teams are trying to do development and babysit these six drivers. In those conditions you're stuck with stopping development and propping up a driver that can't help himself. Do you try to qualify higher on the grid or develop the car for race day. JPM had his problems but knows what it takes to setup a car and he is a very fast driver. Some of the greatest drivers crashed a lot at some point in their career, Michael excepted.

Only real crash I remember MS being in was the one where he got that suspension part driven through his leg. He missed a good chunk of the season because of that.

Hamilton all the way because he has crazy natural talent and is also the most gentlemanly of the top drivers now, including Alonso. I thought Alonso was the second coming of Senna, but now i believe it is Hamilton.

Quote:

F1 needs more talent in the cockpit, especially Renault, Toyota and Honda. Those teams have drivers that do not know how to win in cars that with some work can win. They are drivers that can not drive around problems and can do little to help sort out a car during practice. Any one of those teams would do well to hire DC during his twilight years. DC is very good at getting the setup right, which would help the development efforts. Right now these teams are trying to do development and babysit these six drivers. In those conditions you're stuck with stopping development and propping up a driver that can't help himself. Do you try to qualify higher on the grid or develop the car for race day. JPM had his problems but knows what it takes to setup a car and he is a very fast driver. Some of the greatest drivers crashed a lot at some point in their career, Michael excepted.

Jenson Button is a race winner (in a less than competitive Honda nonetheless), Rubens Barrichello is a multiple race winner, Jarno Trulli is a race winner, Ralf Schumacher is a multiple race winner (and beat JPM as much as the other way around when they were in the same less competitive car), Giancarlo Fisichella is a multiple race winner and Heikki Kovalainen won the ROC. None of these drivers are slowing development, they are all (save for Heikki) veteran drivers that have shown their ability to help develop a car into a winner (especially Button and Ralf). According to old interviews with Patrick Head and Ron Dennis JPM was actually notoriously bad at setting up his car but would use his great car control to drive around it most of the time. The problem is that he was cantankerous, arrogant , and had a hard time finishing races consistently all the while crashing into his teammates multiple times. JPM was booted from F1 for a reason and I for one am not sad to see him gone. In his place we have quite possibly the revelation of the decade in Lewis Hamilton so IMO it was a worthwhile trade. JPM is better suited to the rubbin' is racin' atmosphere of Nascar anyways and gets lots of fans to watch it more so I think it is a win win situation for both sports.

Jon

Juan said on leaving F1 "F1 doesn't want racers" and he was spot on. A racer is the exact opposite of a race car driver. If you don't understand you don't understand motor racing IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back