Joined the Porter+Cable 7424XP crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents got me a Porter+Cable 7424XP DA polisher for my birthday, along with some CCS cutting and finishing pads, and backing pad. They also got me a Daytona Speed Brush, some Nanoscrub pads, and Iron-X.

Really excited to break this polisher out in the next few weeks to get the car prepped for winter!

HAPPPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

I'm too scared to use my polishers
frown.gif

Happy Birthday! The 7424XP is a great starting tool.

If you're planning to do a 2-step, order some Menzerna FG400 for compounding and either Menzerna SF4000 or HD Polish for finishing. If you're going the 1-step route, then Menzerna PF2500 or Sonax Perfect Finish (only if you're not coating).

Which color do you have?

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

I'll probably use the Nanoscrub and Iron-X to clean the paint (my car is white) and then use M105 + M205 to polish out any minor oxidation and scratches it has. The paint is in decent shape already.

I still have some Klasse AIO & SG, though I think I'll just slap some Collinite 845 on for now.

I may experiment with it a bit on my summer wheels too.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Thanks for the birthday wishes.

I'll probably use the Nanoscrub and Iron-X to clean the paint (my car is white) and then use M105 + M205 to polish out any minor oxidation and scratches it has. The paint is in decent shape already.

I still have some Klasse AIO & SG, though I think I'll just slap some Collinite 845 on for now.

I may experiment with it a bit on my summer wheels too.

Sounds like you have a well thought out plan to get your car corrected and protected, all with quality proven products. 105/205 combo, Klasse, Collinite, Iron X all awesome products. Did you get the 5.5" size pads and backing plate for your new PCXP?

Congrats and happy birthday!

Ive done older black cars with mine, and have been very pleased with the results... But Im afraid to do my metallic green or blue cars... Just in my mind I guess. But its a great tool, and should save you a little time and effort.

How are you planning to prep? Taping down anything you don't want waxed or just using it for the bulk work and then going by hand at the edges?

Im kind of unsold on winter prep waxing... IMO the paint is very robust to salt and other road conditions, so it is by far more an issue of rustproofing with oily/waxy coatings in areas where they are needed, and ensuring that there are no paint chips or compromises that let salt and moisture get to the sheet metal.

Yeah, I got the 5.5" pads and 5" backing plate. I did a lot of reading before asking for those gifts to make sure it was what I wanted; my father approved of the Porter+Cable -- he said "they make good stuff".

You make a good point about waxing for winter prep, but I do find that the wax helps the car stay a bit cleaner if nothing else. White paint is difficult to get a deep shine from.

Good present. Have fun with it. I'd also recommend Menzerna polishes and now I'll add Menzerna Power Lock to that list after using it for the first time. The polishes I've used and had great results with are SF4500 and IP2000.

Here's what you need to know:
menzernachart2012.jpg

M105 can be finicky to,use, I find it has a learning curve.

I prefer FG400 and now have Wolfgang Über compound to try out.

Looks like you have done some good research, let us know how you did on your first run the the DA.

Originally Posted By: Wheelzntoys
M105 can be finicky to,use, I find it has a learning curve.

I prefer FG400 and now have Wolfgang Über compound to try out.

Looks like you have done some good research, let us know how you did on your first run the the DA.

The newer M105 formula with super-micro abrasives is quite easy to use, in my opinion. I've used it by hand and been pretty happy with the results.

By DA, M105 has a very short working time and has a tendency to cause heavy dusting.

The newer M105 formula with super-micro abrasives is quite easy to use, in my opinion. I've used it by hand and been pretty happy with the results.

Agreed, M105 is just a plain awesome and easy as pie to work with, via hand or machine. I do have FG400, M101 and use M100 with my rotary, buy still love me some M105 as I like Meguiars compounds over Menzerna, HD Car Care or most others most of the time. If you already have M105, no need to buy a bunch of other compounds like FG400.

Originally Posted By: gary031

Agreed, M105 is just a plain awesome and easy as pie to work with, via hand or machine. I do have FG400, M101 and use M100 with my rotary, buy still love me some M105 as I like Meguiars compounds over Menzerna, HD Car Care or most others most of the time. If you already have M105, no need to buy a bunch of other compounds like FG400.

I cannot say that I agree. M105 works, but there's better stuff out there. Of course, if the OP already has M105, then that'll work.

Also, if you need a slightly less aggressive compound, I have had great success with D300 and Meguiars MF Finishing Discs on my Rupes 21.

One of these years, I hope to get one as well. I'd go with the Griots version due to (lifetime) warranty. The problem is, once you get one, you then need to spend $100s more in pads, cleaners,etc. It becomes a large investment.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
One of these years, I hope to get one as well. I'd go with the Griots version due to (lifetime) warranty. The problem is, once you get one, you then need to spend $100s more in pads, cleaners,etc. It becomes a large investment.

I looked at the Griot's, but getting a repair on the PC is a lot easier. There are local repair centers for that company, whereas Griot's will make you send it in. I also have more faith in the PC brand because of their experience in the heavy-duty tool market. From what I've read, the PCs are rock-solid and should last a long time.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01

I looked at the Griot's, but getting a repair on the PC is a lot easier. There are local repair centers for that company, whereas Griot's will make you send it in. I also have more faith in the PC brand because of their experience in the heavy-duty tool market. From what I've read, the PCs are rock-solid and should last a long time.

The PCXP is just as you said, rock solid, I do own one along with 2 Griots machines, and yes I do use the griots more due to the power, but if I wasn't detailing over 20 cars a month like I am now, my Porter Cable would have served me just as well. My Griot's have broken numerous times as has my PC, and I have never sent any of them in for repair, they are pretty easy to fix if your mechanically inclined.

Polishers are like compounds, everyone has their own opinion on what's best....and the PCXP coupled with M105 is a defect killer. And yes, I prefer SMAT over DAT compounds but that's my opinion, I don't think it gets much better than M105 (or M101/M100).....imo.

Originally Posted By: gary031
My Griot's have broken numerous times as has my PC, and I have never sent any of them in for repair, they are pretty easy to fix if your mechanically inclined.

What typically breaks?

Dan, I've had good luck with my XP too, just make sure you don't go bigger than 5~5.5 inch pads since too big of a pad will reduce the cutting power. Also, a heavier counter weight will reduce the vibration a bit. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back