John Deere Plus 50 II 0W40 (pics)

Was given two jugs of Plus 50 II 0W40

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

On the left US made jug (maybe Mobil made ?), on the right Canadian made (probably Petro Canada)
The Canadian jug has a window to see oil level, not the US one.

Was planning on running it in the Mazda this winter. It takes around 4,5L so I was debating on using each jug with a litre of something else (I have some Belgian Castrol 0W30 by the litre), or just on OCI just the Plus 50, and second OCI plus 50 and 2 litres of something. Of course I could also find a John Deere dealer and buy some more.

What do you think? Not an oil we see much in UOA/VOA.

Petro-Canada 0W40 has no API certifications, just SFU for this and SFU for that. IOL (Esso) was the supply for JD lubricants, then Mobil when the Esso brand (XD-3) was dropped.
Caterpillar series 3 was the old standard HD oils had to meet. XD-3 was a marketing name that truck drivers and heavy equipment operators, including agricultural could identify with.

Last edited:
Close up on the US version :

[Linked Image]

Canadian :

[Linked Image]

ACEA E2, E2 ????

The US version is "recommended" for many more applications
laugh.gif

Wonder if I should run that in the Mazda now.

It's Delvac 0w40. I used to run Esso 0w40 XD-3 back in the day. All the same, but in different containers. Of course the JD dealers say NOT!

I think it may not be possible to make a 0w40 that lives up to expectations with group IIIs or GTLs. I buy Duron and T-6 0w40 because of its price and I don't extend oil change intervals.
Undoubtedly, JD has tested what ever is in those jugs and is satisfied with its performance. Warranty approved. Farm tractors and combines are over half a million ducats.

edit IOL used to produce group I at their Strathcona refinery in Sherwood Park, AB.

Last edited:
There was a user here who used JD plus 50 oil in his engine. Not sure if it was 0w-40 but possibly. Excellent UOA anyway, some of the best I've ever seen.

Originally Posted by Jetronic
There was a user here who used JD plus 50 oil in his engine. Not sure if it was 0w-40 but possibly. Excellent UOA anyway, some of the best I've ever seen.

Back in the 1990's - John Deere 15W-40 was Shell Rotella 15W-40.

Exact same oil, different containers.

Not sure who the contract is with, now..... nor any idea where to get that info. Mobil Delvac seems plausible.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Jetronic

Back in the 1990's - John Deere 15W-40 was Shell Rotella 15W-40.

Exact same oil, different containers.

Not sure who the contract is with, now..... nor any idea where to get that info. Mobil Delvac seems plausible.

I have been using the Deere oil since the early 90's and it was never the same as Rotella or any other major. Deere has always had their own additive package, unique to the Plus 50 line of oil. Hence the name "Plus 50" which originally meant plus 50 hours over owners manual recommended OCI.

In 1992 I bought a new 6076 Deere marine engine and it was printed right in the owners manual that OCI could be extended 50 hours if Plus 50 lube along with a Deere filter was used. Currently with cleaner fuel and better oil original OCI from 250 hours has been extended to 500 hours on the same engine, which I still have.

Originally Posted by roadrunner1

I have been using the Deere oil since the early 90's and it was never the same as Rotella or any other major. Deere has always had their own additive package, unique to the Plus 50 line of oil. Hence the name "Plus 50" which originally meant plus 50 hours over owners manual recommended OCI..

It has been too many years, but I do not recall "plus 50" back in the 1990's..... maybe you were ordering it special for your marine engine.

Off the shelf at my local Deere dealership, and as I stated it's printed in my owners manual crica 1992.

Back