Sequence IIIG - John Deere Plus II vs Delvac 1 ESP

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAG

Viscosity increase %:
Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40: 45
John Deere Plus-50 II: 139

Sources:
https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/featbene/Plus50IIProductSpecificationSheet.pdf
http://www.mobil.us/USA-English-LCW/Files/mobil-delvac-fleet-edge.pdf

I have no point other than documenting these two things in one place. Obviously there is a significant difference in the test results. We don't stress the oils this much in the way they are stressed in that test. The John Deere oil had a viscosity of over 20 cST at 100C at the end of that test.

The Deere oil is made by chevron to a formula proprietary to Deere. YOur also comparing a full syn to a Dino. Deere's 0-40 +50II is a syn oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volk06
The Deere oil is made by chevron to a formula proprietary to Deere.

or Mobil depending on what part of the country your from.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Obviously there is a significant difference in the test results.

Obviously. However, what really matters is the overall performance of the oil in a specific engine and circumstance.

To make any inference from your data would be like saying that one of the older HDEO oils with TBN of 14 is much better than the newer oils with a TBN of 10, based only on this one specification.

However, you did state that you are only presenting an observation without making any point about it. What's interesting is how each mfg. can present the "facts" that makes their oil look the best.

Last edited:
Quote:
What's interesting is how each mfg. can present the "facts" that makes their oil look the best.

When oils are compared, I want to see results in engine sequence tests like above. They are very expensive though. That is the more professional way to compare your oil to the competition rather than use silly marketing gimmicks.

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
What's interesting is how each mfg. can present the "facts" that makes their oil look the best.

When oils are compared, I want to see results in engine sequence tests like above. They are very expensive though. That is the more professional way to compare your oil to the competition rather than use silly marketing gimmicks.

I agree. But from the results JAG presented, all I can interpret is that when comparing two different viscosity HDEO oils in a GM 3800 gasoline engine, the Plus 50II performed good enough and the Mobil performed "more" good enough regarding viscosity increase. Nothing more, nothing less.

Originally Posted By: volk06
The Deere oil is made by chevron to a formula proprietary to Deere. YOur also comparing a full syn to a Dino. Deere's 0-40 +50II is a syn oil.

Yes and it's not easy to come by results from engine tests. If you can find more, please do post them. Unfortunately there were no other tests results in those links that were shown in both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back