John Deere LT155 gauge install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. Today I installed an oil pressure gauge and volt gauge on my LT155. I've owned this tractor since new (bought in 2001) and it now has 363 hours on the clock.

jdcleaned003.jpg

Daman gave me the inspiration and encouragement to tackle this job.

Here goes:

I decided to go with Sunpro's 1.5" triple gauge set (temp/oil pres/volts) All I really wanted was the oil & volts--the mechanical sender on the temp gauge is too big to try and adapt for an oil temp gauge, so I just gave the temp gauge to the kid to play with.

Here's where I originally thought I would mount the 2 gauges:

jdcleaned002copy.jpg

However, once I actually had the gauges in hand, I found there wasn't going to be nearly enough room.....after lots of agonizing and fiddling, I decided to put them here: (holes already cut)

holesindash.jpg

I used a 1.5" hole saw and opened the hole up a bit more with a dremel.

Here are the gauges during a test-fit:

testfit.jpg

Okay, that should work. Wiring up the voltmeter was pretty easy--I had installed an hourmeter when I bought the tractor, so I had a good source for a key-on hot and ground.

My sweaty-pits dilemma was the oil pressure gauge. It seems like most full-pressure Briggs motors have a nice 1/8NPT port ready to go for a job like this. My Kohler CV-15 wasn't drilled and tapped for a pressure port. In this pic I've already punched my target for drilling:

centerpunched.jpg

For me, intestinal fortitude is taking a drill to a perfectly healthy Kohler engine and putting a hole in the oil filter housing. But, no guts, no glory, so here we go:

porthole.jpg

Too late to turn back now, grab that 1/8NPT tap and have at it:

threaded.jpg

A test with the fitting was a go. Fitting and hose installed:

fitting.jpg

Finally, all buttoned up...test fire...and it worked!!! No leaks, decent pressure. Yay!

pressureup.jpg

It's interesting, cold start up shows 40 psi. Once hot, full throttle is just a hair under 40 psi. Then, hot idle shows 30psi. This was after 1 hour of mowing, 85 degrees outside. Never saw the gauge dip below 30psi. (Running Convoy 10w30 parasynthetic (thanks Johnny!) and a Napa Gold 1348 filter.)

hotidle.jpg

Another interesting tidbit--when mowing on an incline--if the mower is leaning away from the oil filter side of the motor, pressure drops 5 psi. Mower leaning towards the filter side, no change. Interesting, but I don't know what it means....

A few other shots....here are the gauges with the backlights on (wired in with the headlights):

lighted.jpg

And a gratuitous shot of the hourmeter installed in the frame:

hourmetera.jpg

All in all, this was a really fun project. The gauge set is $30 at your local Autozone. I had to buy an assortment of electrical connectors, a 11/32 drill, the tap.

Once you're done, you have something that even the GT and X series Deeres don't have-actual gauges!

Greg

All right Greg nice job man i knew you could do it!, drilling that port hole was a tough thing to do i bet and don't blame you for being nervous,lol.

too bad they didn't fit side by side but these small tractors not allot of room to work with but i gota say it looks good and clean where they are, looks like nice voltage too and plenty of oil pressure odd why it falls off some when on an incline un less oil flow is lacking some,you topped off with oil?

One thing i did on mine Greg was i slipped a piece of vacuum hose over the oil line to protect it from heat by the engine area forgot to mention that but can be done anytime.

your going to love mowing now with the gauges being able to see what going on,i thought you would of had slightly more PSI mine shows 60psi cold then 40 hot but no worries yours has plenty.

again good job nothing like the feeing of accomplishment on modification well done.

Thanks for the kind words, fellas. The job didn't come out perfect (mine never do!) but I was very happy with the results. It is nice to know what's going on under the hood!

I'm curious what the start up pressure will be with an actual COLD engine. The initial 40psi today was after a short morning run and an ambient temperature of close to 90 in my garage.

I figure the old rule of thumb of 10psi per 1,000rpms means I'm just fine. Apparently I haven't ruined the engine internals in 360+ hours of use!

Last edited:
I did a true cold start this morning with temps in the 60s. Again 40 psi. Why there isn't a higher reading when cold is beyond me. I'm not going to worry about it, though.

Silber, that was one of the scarier moments in my life. I stared at the inside and outside of that casting for about an hour making sure that I wouldn't screw up one of the passages.

I had to drill about 1.5" into it to get to the open spot. And to make matters more interesting, you're actually drilling under the filter inlet passage.

In this pic the red lines outline the route that is drilled for the pressure port:

drillroute.jpg

And this is what I looked like right before drilling. (Photo courtesy my 5 year old son)

nutty.jpg

If I hadn't seen Kohler service manuals with this same area drilled for a port, I would have never done it.....

Last edited:
Nice job indeed.

Can you get a small braided stainless steel line for the oil pressure line? If not, as per daman's recommendation, I'd slide a piece of fuel line over the small oil line and tie wrap it into position to keep it from becoming abraded or snagged on something.

If that line gets damaged while the engine is running, the consequences could be very painful.

For $10, Autozone sells a kit with brass line. Some armor of some sort is a good idea, I would agree. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Brett Miller
This almost makes me want to do the same thing with my LT160. Have you ever changes the trans oil?

Why, yes I have!

K51 oil change

You could have built a closed cab and made A-Pillar gauges, but then you would have to figure out where to run an extra belt and place controls for the A/C.
grin2.gif

Cool job. I put an hour meter on mine but that's it. You have given me encouragement to do the rest of the gauges now.

GD,

I'll guess that there's a pressure relief valve that opens at 40psi. So you won't see much higher OP than 40 even when cold. As it warms up, you get a more normal reading.

I think this says that the boys at Kohler have done a pretty good job sorting out the oiling of the motor.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
I like that blue (looks like Mopar) in the back of you!
grin2.gif
And very nice job!

Thanks, Lexus....and....

Good eye!

bitogdemon.jpg

I had a 73 Dodge Dart Sport just out of High School. It had a 360 cid that somebody reworked before I bought it. I dont really care for the 360`s,but that thing screamed! A kid around town at the time (kind of an [censored]) tried to pass me in his 66 Chevy Impala. Well,Mine had a Holly double pumper carb which had the vacuum for the 4bble secondairies. we were side by side and then my seconderies opened up (i cant spell that) Fuuuuuuuuuwwwwwaaaaaaa!!!! C-ya !!!! when we got to my friends house,he comes pulling up with his tail between his legs and said,what the [censored] did you do!!
48.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back