Joe Gibbs XP9 10W/40, GT3 track car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Can someone help me understand this. Is there a problem?

Thanks

Ray

Comments:

We're thinking the viscosity of this XP9 oil started as a 10W/40,but the viscosity at the oil change
was a bit lower. Some fuel was present so that may have thinned the oil or maybe the oil started thinner.
Either way,it's not a huge concern, just a talking point. The wear metals look pretty good for the most part.
Nickel was present at a slightly elevated level and that might suggest cylinder wear depending on the
cylinder metallurgy,but it's just something to follow-up on for now. Silicon tested high, so check for air
intake leaks.

Code:
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Joe Gibbs XP9 10W/40 
MI/HR on Oil 1165 
MI/HR on Unit 26710 
Universal Averages
ALUMINUM 1 1 7
CHROMIUM 1 1 0
IRON 8 8 9
COPPER 14 14 11
LEAD 3 3 3
TIN 0 1
MOLYBDENUM 1205 1205 209
NICKEL 5 5 1
MANGANESE 0 0 1
SILVER 0 0 0
TITANIUM 0 0 1
POTASSIUM 0 0 2
BORON 39 39 148
SILICON 14 14 6
SODIUM 8 8 7
CALCIUM 469 469 2726
MAGNESIUM 0 0 19
PHOSPHORUS 778 778 969
ZINC 891 891 1046
BARIUM 0 0 0

Values should Be* 
SUS Viscosity @ 210 F 64 65-76 
cSt Viscosity @100C 11.34 11.6-14.8 
Flashpoint in F 350 >385 
Fuel 1.8  Antifreeze 0 0 
Water % 0  Insolubles % 0.3 CODE]

~1000 track miles...

I worry about the flash point as well, perhaps an injector is leaking?

Ok, As you can see, I am rather ignorant abut this. I was thinking that this was the oil specifically trying to be slippery in the motor, meaning that JG oils comes with a high Moly content?

Is there anything to worry about here?

Thanks

Ray

Last edited:
I don't see an issue here.

XP9 starts at ~13.0 cSt so to be at 11.3 cSt with 1.8% fuel is expected so not an issue.

Copper and lead aren't abnormal for an engine that's seen sustained WOT and high rpm for 1000 miles.

This oil has around 10 ppm silicon in virgin form from a defoamer so that's not an issue.

Nickel is present because it's a catalyst of the moly additives. It's common to see 5-15 ppm nickel or aluminum in VOAs of oils with very high moly concentration and multiple moly additives in synergy.

Honestly, the most frustrating part of this UOA is the comments from the lab. (rookie lab techs who don't know what they're looking at)

Take into consideration that Driven XP series oils are dedicated racing oils designed with NASCAR engines in mind. They are minimal on ZDDP, very little detergent, and a load of friction modifiers. It also contains a high amount of ester. It is designed to be dumped after every race. It's not designed to exceed ~500 miles so seeing how you went beyond that for another 500 miles of racing, I think it did its job. I wouldn't worry about it.

Take into consideration that Driven XP series oils are dedicated racing oils designed with NASCAR engines in mind. They are minimal on ZDDP, very little detergent, and a load of friction modifiers. It also contains a high amount of ester. It is designed to be dumped after every race. It's not designed to exceed ~500 miles so seeing how you went beyond that for another 500 miles of racing, I think it did its job. I wouldn't worry about it.

Yep thats true actually I didnt look at the calcium and magnesium numbers to begin with. Its real real racing oil haha.

Yep thats true actually I didnt look at the calcium and magnesium numbers to begin with. Its real real racing oil haha.

Right. Get the the AW and FM additives where they need to go and get everything else out of the way. There's only so much surface area and the less additives you have competing for that area, the more effective the necessary additives can be. Notice the phosphorus is down in API range.

ZDDP is an acidic ester and detergents neutralize acids so if you want ZDDP to be the most effective, ditch the detergents. A contributing factor to flat tappet cam failures, when phosphorus concentrations were limited by API, was the increase in detergents around that same timeframe.

Thanks guys!

And to answer the earlier question, sadly the gas does have Ethonal.

Ray

Why sadly? The 10% ethanol adds a slight cooling effect, has more energy per lb of air, has a lower distillation curve, and makes very slightly more power.

Why sadly? The 10% ethanol adds a slight cooling effect, has more energy per lb of air, has a lower distillation curve, and makes very slightly more power.
Yes, but it also thins the oil much quicker. Shouldnt be much of a problem at 10% though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back