Job sucks the life out of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: grampi
Think about it. Unless a person has a dream job, why would ANYBODY like their job? Unless you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth, most of us have to work to survive. A job is just that, and it certainly isn't something most people enjoy doing. Working is a waste of the one thing we all have a finite amount of...time. If given the choice of working, or spending your entire life with family and friends, and doing hobbies and whatnot, what do you think most people would choose? I never hear anyone who is retired say "I wish I would have worked longer"...I wonder why that is?

This times a zillion!!

I disagree. There's that old saying that if you choose a career that you are passionate about, you never work a day in your life.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I disagree. There's that old saying that if you choose a career that you are passionate about, you never work a day in your life.

Those are the exact words used by Jimmy Russell - 64 year tenured master distiller at Wild Turkey.

5acres:

VERY interesting read. I truly feel for you. At 38, you are at the crossroads of your working life and have important decisions to make for yourself and your family. As a former hiring manager, you would be an ideal candidate for me (except that lack of degree)—20 years of experience and 20+ years to give. Your situation is far from hopeless but you CANNOT continue with your current attitude or it will poison your life. All of it, home and work. So, you MUST resolve to do something about it, for your own well-being and because you have chosen to make your wife and child dependent upon your success. Your lack of degree is a killer in terms of mobility within the workforce. It will allow you to escape your current situation, either within your current company or outside it. My guess is that you have developed significant value in yourself that is not being realized by your current employer—which is natural. You have to understand that they invested in you to create this value-add and now, they are entitled to profit from their investment by paying you less than you’re likely worth on the open market. That’s not anything bad on their part—that’s how capitalism works and how companies become profitable. But that doesn’t mean you cannot cash in on your own development on the open market.

I have much more to say to you about this and would be happy to discuss things in a more private forum if you’re interested. But here’s my advice: make a decision that you will NOT accept the current state of affairs. You can be a much better provider for your family and much happier with yourself. Put together a game plan to “escape”. Once it is fully developed, sit down with your wife, explain everything to her including your vision for a better, happier life for all of you. Explain the very difficult path you must traverse to take your family there. Then, go get your degree. You will stay motivated by your investment in yourself and the potential it will create for you and your family. Your current company may even pay for it. Then use that degree as your magic carpet ride to a happier, more satisfying life. You can do it! Get moving!

Think about it. Unless a person has a dream job, why would ANYBODY like their job? Unless you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth, most of us have to work to survive. A job is just that, and it certainly isn't something most people enjoy doing. Working is a waste of the one thing we all have a finite amount of...time. If given the choice of working, or spending your entire life with family and friends, and doing hobbies and whatnot, what do you think most people would choose? I never hear anyone who is retired say "I wish I would have worked longer"...I wonder why that is?

Well, ever since the close of the Garden of Eden era, we have had to work to live, whether that work consisted of hunting and gathering, farming or sitting before a keyboard and a couple of screens while monitoring your direct reports and hoping that they consult you before they screw something up when they're not sure what to do.
The key is to find what joy you can in work.
If one approaches work with the notion that he shouldn't like it, then that becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

True.

But lots of people go into a career field and over time get burned out, top out in pay, hate their boss / coworkers, politics, decisions made from high above that really screw things up, ...etc, etc...

Lots of people would choose a different career field if they could, but they would still be complaining at their new job.

This times a zillion!!

That's why I said "unless a person has a dream job"...unfortunately, most of us work at a job we just tolerate because we have to work...

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Well, ever since the close of the Garden of Eden era, we have had to work to live, whether that work consisted of hunting and gathering, farming or sitting before a keyboard and a couple of screens while monitoring your direct reports and hoping that they consult you before they screw something up when they're not sure what to do.
The key is to find what joy you can in work.
If one approaches work with the notion that he shouldn't like it, then that becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

The thing is, I USED to like my job, I've just been doing it for so long that I'm burned out...plus, now with my retirement so close I can taste it, that makes me want out even more...

Let’s face it. The vast majority of corporate managers in America are very poor leaders and motivators. Which means every ‘A Player’ subordinate is unhappy because they aren’t recognized for their outperformance, have no path forward and are not challenged in a fulfilling way. That’s why I’ve counseled all my children that if they want to be in business, start your own. Your business will only be run as you think it should if your name is on the door.

My motto at career’s end: Leadership is by definition a lack of consensus.

Last edited:

This times a zillion!!

That's why I said "unless a person has a dream job"...unfortunately, most of us work at a job we just tolerate because we have to work...

What Grampi said. The only people I know who don't hate their jobs are the ones who were basically born into money and had their parents hand them a life and a job on a solid gold platter. No fear of getting fired,no rules,no responsibilities,no having to light a fire under their [censored],just the cush life of Riley. Heck who wouldn't love that!
laugh.gif

That's why works is called "work" and play is called "play".

I've asked about 50 people in different career fields if they could go back in time would they choose the same career...

About 80% answered they would do something different for a living.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I've asked about 50 people in different career fields if they could go back in time would they choose the same career...

If I could go back in time, I would choose a different career path.

My career path was unique and blessed every step of the way. Every time I accepted a new position it worked out well. My only complaints are with the bozos who ended up running the company at the end. Turns out it’s pretty easy for a poor leader to ruin decades of profitable growth and high morale.

Last edited:

This times a zillion!!

Ain't that the truth!

+1 to what grampi said.

Very good information here, I appreciate it all. We are very fortunate that we live in a time where we can easily tap people of all ages and backgrounds from around the world for information like this.

Its given me a lot to think about.

Current job is definitely sucking. And sucking the life out of me as well.

I've had jobs that paid well and I had one job that I somewhat enjoyed but paid terribly. Never found that perfect mix, and I'm just trying to make it to retirement at this point so I'm no longer looking.

My job stinks mainly because of my boss...he's over bearing and uses the regs and rules to his advantage...he doesn't care one iota about the well being of the people he supervises, he only cares about himself....he's about to get a rude awakening because I'm about to use those very same rules against him...

My job stinks mainly because of my boss...he's over bearing and uses the regs and rules to his advantage...he doesn't care one iota about the well being of the people he supervises, he only cares about himself....he's about to get a rude awakening because I'm about to use those very same rules against him...
Had one like that, I managed to outlast her.

My current boss is great, but her hands are being tied by a reorg we recently experienced. She inherited a lot of deadwood...

Originally Posted By: Tony10s

Grass always seems greener on the other side.

Originally Posted By: opus1
Had one like that, I managed to outlast her.

My current boss is great, but her hands are being tied by a reorg we recently experienced. She inherited a lot of deadwood...

My boss is about to get a brutal awakening from our union...

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: Tony10s

Grass always seems greener on the other side.

I don't think career field matters. As long as you have a boss, there's going to be certain aspects of the job you just don't like...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back