Jimmy Carter is now under Hospice Care at home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw a headline about that. Sad to hear. He had a good run, I hope his last days will be comfortable.

Carter, sometime after 1977, announced that the USA had stealth aircraft.

Something interesting: His presidential run, he later said, was helped by the Allman Brothers Band. His campaign was $300,000 in debt when the band raised $64,000, allowing Carter to double that with matching government funds.

“Gregg Allman and the Allman Brothers just about put me in the White House,” he said in 2015.

In 1982, being a gas pumper at a full service Exxon station in Plantation, FL- I read a book written by Jimmy Carter. A part of the book had a huge impact on my life (I was 17 years old).

Jimmy Carter had graduated the Naval Academy something like 8th in his class, astonishing achievement. I assume most of the classes were rock hard STEM classes. When then Ensign Carter reported to his first duty station, he reported to a Admiral to learn his assignment. Jimmy was all smiles, knowing how well he scored/ ranked at the Naval Academy.

During the interview with the Admiral, Ensign Carter was asked if he "always did his very best" in his academics at the Naval Academy. Ensign Carter, being a totally honest person, had to tell the Admiral "no". He started that meeting thinking he was a "top dog". He left that meeting humbled and depressed.

Anytime I go to take a shortcut in something I am doing, I recall the line from the Admiral to Ensign Carter "I don't care where you ranked- did you always do your best".

President Carter was likely a very honest person, hoping for the best for all, especially people in need. I am not sure how well politicians with steadfast, rock solid values and honesty perform as an elected official- history might suggest not so well. President Carter likely had wonderful ideals and a very deep desire to uplift people. The issue is- government is not able to uplift people, except by removing barriers and staying out of people's lives. It is often counterproductive for government to be the solution, in trying to better people's lives. People will fix it themselves as long as they don't have "barriers to entry".

Last edited:
I remember eating a Jimmy Carter burger at a restaurant. It had peanut butter and honey on it, yum!

Take care, Mr President

He was the President when I was born! and up until now, a better President than the current one!

Was he successful in extinction of that guinea worm? (or something like it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back