Jet Fuel, $11.37/gal in NY and other rambling aviation thoughts.

I had to look it up… excluding Chicago which is almost just as expensive, smaller airports are reporting between ~$5.50 and $7 for 110LL and Jet A depending where you go. Lansing Municipal has Jet A for $5.15 for full service though!

What does the gulf stream Bathroom look like? I have certain priorities.:)
I'll try to take a pic today. But here are a pics I found online. The smaller one is the crew bathroom, it's up front, left side, behind the main entrance door.

g650-baggage-area.png

b7894cf846.jpg
P7110450.jpg

That always puts things in perspective. We can only hold 42,500 pounds of fuel. You tanker nearly that much! My late AA 777-787 buddy used to say that he could grind up the Gulfstream and put in in the fuel tanks of the 777 and not notice! I guess when you can carry 350,000 pounds of fuel, a 94,000 pound airplane is chump change.
It costs money to tanker the fuel. On an eight hour flight, you burn about 10% of the extra fuel you load, just to carry the extra weight of that fuel.

So, the price differential is calculated along with the cost of burn to make the tanker decision. We also have to be certain that we don’t exceed landing weight on arrival.

The 767-300 has lots of room in that department, since our flights were significantly shorter than a max range flight, requiring less fuel to burn, and max landing is 320,000#, leaving us about 40-50,000# of headroom for fuel on board at landing, given our empty weight, passenger load and cargo on those flights.

Grounding a $60 million jet seems strange to me just because fuel gets more expensive.

Beautiful plane.
Well a recently released fly-by-wire AD also limits the landing gusts to 5kts, and max winds to 15, including gusts. So 11 gusting to 16 is a grounding condition. (Note: new software is coming) So the fuel price and AD combined make a bit of a double-whammy.

When Jet-A was $3 a few years ago, our various trips were well into the affordable range for our flight department. However, at today's prices, our budget has taken a huge hit. That's $1.7M per year just for fuel if we keep our flying down to historic lows. Nearly 4x the cost of the recent past.

Put another way, normal ops would put a single plane's fuel cost near $4M. I guess it's hard to convey that a typical total flight department budget for typical operators is $6M for multiple planes, including payments, insurance, crew, hotels, meals, rental cars, and fuel. This will drive the budget well into the double digits.

This is no minor increase.

We hold 6500+ gallons. x $11.37 = $74,000+

Last edited:
Well a recently released AD also limits the landing gusts to 5kts, and max winds to 15, including gusts. So 11 gusting to 16 is a grounding condition. So the fuel price and AD combined make a bit of a double-whammy.

When Jet-A was $3 a few years ago, our various trips were well into the affordable range for our flight department. However, at today's prices, our budget has taken a huge hit. That's $1.7M per year just for fuel if we keep our flying down to historic lows. Nearly 4x the cost of the recent past.
Wow!

We have a max crosswind of 40 knots (including gust) for takeoff and landing.

No max headwind for takeoff or landing.

15 knot tailwind limit.

Gusts in excess of 15 knots may trigger a wind shear warning, which necessitates a response but 15 knots TOTAL wind?

You wouldn’t be able to operate most days in Newark with that kind of limitation!

It costs money to tanker the fuel. On an eight hour flight, you burn about 10% of the extra fuel you load, just to carry the extra weight of that fuel.

So, the price differential is calculated along with the cost of burn to make the tanker decision. We also have to be certain that we don’t exceed landing weight on arrival.

The 767-300 has lots of room in that department, since our flights were significantly shorter than a max range flight, requiring less fuel to burn, and max landing is 320,000#, leaving us about 40-50,000# of headroom for fuel on board at landing, given our empty weight, passenger load and cargo on those flights.

Is this a call made by dispatch? only curious as to the logistics, and how the planning works.

Is this a call made by dispatch? only curious as to the logistics, and how the planning works.
Yes. Dispatch does the fuel cost vs. burn analysis, and makes certain that landing weight and stopping performance is within limits, particularly if you’re coming into a field with a potentially wet runway.

Obviously, the Captain checks and approved the plan. Our dispatchers are good, but the Captain is the final authority on a flight plan.

As an example, I tankered fuel out of EWR to Eagle, Colorado. I landed a 757 there in snow showers, at 7,000’ elevation, with a slight downhill slope.

We had 32,000# of fuel on board when we parked at the gate.

That was enough for the outbound crew to fly all the way back to EWR without
having to pay the outrageous Vail fuel prices.

As far as performance on that day? With nearly four hours of extra fuel on board, landing downhill in snow showers?

We took an early turnoff of the runway. Didn’t need anywhere near all of it.

Sure do love the 757.

I know of a billionaire who did not like fuel and hangar costs at local small airport for his two private jets so he wrote a check for it to control and profit himself.

CAN'T MAKE $$$$
I was under the impression he worked for a rich guy and this was used for said rich guy and his corporate travel.

If it is put in the charter rotation then I could sort of see the issue butt really you’d just raise the charter hourly rate.

I'm currently at SWF Atlantic Aviation, and with Jet-A over $11 (and a 760 gallon minimum), we've not been flying at all. Our operations have come to a screeching halt. While you can still find Jet-A for under $7 locally, those locations are inappropriate or impossible for our mighty Gulfstream G600. Which by the way, I believe is less fuel efficient than our previous G550 or G650.

The thing is, these FBO's have a "racket" with their "minimum fuel" or ramp fee requirements. The ramp fee, is so absurd, purchasing fuel is the only real option. Unfortunately, going from SWF to HPN to MVY and back in one day, are all short runs and we end up with more and more fuel at each airport. Sometimes we simply can't take on that much fuel, and at the end of a working day, we might have to pay the absurd ramp fees.

I have a gut feeling that this is the kind of thing could end our flight department (if so I will retire). It's not lost on me, they were absolutely glorious years. I'm a very fortunate human being to lived in this time and been involved in something so cool, with such amazing aircraft. Sitting here in the office and thinking about it brings a big smile to my face and a warm feeling inside.

Just read a report that fuel prices could actually double from the absurd level they are at now. Talk about bringing things to a grinding halt.

You guys might like the altitude in the pic below.

hMMs1EN.jpg

TeQcOHi.jpg
How come you didn't fly for a major airline?

This is a bit rough for me, as I have to pay for my own airline travel between FL and NY. I've noticed that last minute tickets are well into the unaffordable range now. I don't really know, but I think my last raise was in 2012, or so. I don't expect my employer will be feeling generous due to our stock losing 3/4+ of it's value.
Again, why didn't you get on with a major airline? No way I would put up with that.

If these prices continue, I don't see how these airlines are going to be able to operate at a profit. Even with ticket prices in the stratosphere. Just imagine how much both UPS and Fed Ex are going to have to raise their prices.

I've been flying a Lear 45 for 12 years now. Same plane. Same owners. We are still flying. Fuel prices are nuts everywhere. 8.50 a gallon in Palm Springs.

Back home its 2.60 a litre for AVgas. Thats nuts. I'm glad my little 150 doesnt burn much fuel compared to most other planes. Still adds up though.

I've been flying a Lear 45 for 12 years now. Same plane. Same owners. We are still flying. Fuel prices are nuts everywhere. 8.50 a gallon in Palm Springs.

Back home its 2.60 a litre for AVgas. Thats nuts. I'm glad my little 150 doesnt burn much fuel compared to most other planes. Still adds up though.

At what fuel price would the owner stop flight operations ?

Back