JEGS 80532 Oil Filter cutter tool...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got around to getting a "professional" DIY oil filter cutting tool and after some research, picked the JEGS 80532 (bought off Amazon). I've cut open my first filter with it (Kia OEM filter, MANN+Hummel made) and have been pretty impressed with it. The cutter wheel is not easily replaceable but if you take 4 or 5 turns (tightening the cutter each turn) so as to not overload the cutter, it should last a long time. Very easy to use. I would highly recommend it. Cost was ~$45 w/shipping.

Some quickie tips:
Use it over your oil drain basin used to drain the oil out of your car as their is plenty of oil in the filter that will come out when you cut into it. It also helps to use a fluted cap tool (w/wrench) to help turn smoothly the filter while mounted to the cutter tool.

https://www.amazon.com/JEGS-Performance-Products-Filter-Cutting/dp/B007VR8C0U

I have the same exact tool, I've cut open hundreds of filters with it replaced the cutter wheel once so far.

I put a bent paper clip into the ADBV slot to unseal it. Let filter sit upside down for 10-15 min at a angle to drain oil out=No mess when opening filter.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
I put a bent paper clip into the ADBV slot to unseal it. Let filter sit upside down for 10-15 min at a angle to drain oil out=No mess when opening filter.

+1 pro tip

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: oldhp

+1 pro tip

Agreed! That is a great idea.

I recommend getting a Ridgit pipe cutter for this job. You can use it for other jobs, and can cut pipe 4"+

After you've cut open 20-40 oil filters it gets a bit boring and you'll move on. The pipe cutter can then be sold if you dont do any plumbing work..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back