Oil filter cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. Long time reader first time threader. I've not found any related topic so opened this one, hope that it is not a problem.

I've been cutting oil filters for a while but yet only with a hecksaw... There aren't any filter cutters here on the market. I didn't even find one in the UK or Germany.

So now I would like to ask for Your help. Which one do You use, recommend? Are there any brands, types etc to avoid?

I'm working on passenger cars and medium/heavy duty trucks, sometimes fork lifts as well so wide diameter range(68-110mm) would be nice.

Thanks!

Steve

Originally Posted By: Donald
http://www.amazon.com/Longacre-Oil-Filte...l+filter+cutter

That's fairly similar to what I have. Does it have two ball-bearings opposite the cutter or are they bushings?

There are several different types here:
http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/menus/to/oilfiltertools.html

This is what I got:
http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/topages/acsoilcancutter.php

Chose it because it was one of the cheaper ones and it looked simple enough. The wheels are just metal bushings and they won't turn when cutting (tried several types of lube) so I replaced them with 6000 bearings (exact fit). Now it works perfectly!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Do you have access to a 2"-4" pipe cuter? That should give a nice crisp cut without the metal shavings.,,

Have you tried it? I am thinking it might not work close to the edge of the filter.

I use an Exhaust Pipe Pipe Cut-Off Tool.

Has 4 cutters instead of a couple rollers and a cutter. I just take it easy and does a fine cut.

Get one that cuts small diameter filters ... lots of those in use on vehicles these days. Some only cut down to 3" diameter.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
I use an Exhaust Pipe Pipe Cut-Off Tool.

Has 4 cutters instead of a couple rollers and a cutter. I just take it easy and does a fine cut.

I have an old Lisle exhaust cut-off tool. I've been meaning to try this. These things could probably found for cheap at a swap meet or flea market. Not many people doing exhaust work in the backyard these days!

Thank You gentlemen! I bought the rcommended cutter from Summit. I hope it will make me proud...Dozens of MAHLEs are waiting for not-to-be spinned on ever.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MAHLE_Collector
Thank You gentlemen! I bought the rcommended cutter from Summit. I hope it will make me proud...Dozens of MAHLEs are waiting for not-to-be spinned on ever.
smile.gif

Did you tell the wife how much it cost? Seems hard to justify to a wife why one needs to spend $50 or so to look on the inside of a used dirty oil filter that you will not use again no matter how it looks.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Did you tell the wife how much it cost? Seems hard to justify to a wife why one needs to spend $50 or so to look on the inside of a used dirty oil filter that you will not use again no matter how it looks.

Thanks for Your question but I'm not in that marri-age yet...I meant new filters. I had a huge rabate on old stock stuff so bought a little amount of them. As I recive the cutter I will slice all and post the pictures here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back