Jeep repairs, continued. Was it still a steal?

I figured I would update the kind folk here on the status of my recently acquired 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, as referenced in this thread:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/2000-jeep-grand-cherokee-score.340425/

I've taken some time to knock out a few repairs that were needed to make it reliable and safe. The list is short, because this truck really is in good shape considering the age, mileage, and what I paid for it. Here's where I stand now that I've been able to spend a couple weeks with her to put some miles on and see what's what:

Replaced high pressure P/S hose, the main reason I got the truck

Degreased engine and drivetrain to see what leaks I may be dealing with. So far, nothing, however it does look like the rear diff pinion seal has a bit of a leak

Replaced wiper blades for maintenance

Replaced the crappy aftermarket radio that was installed (poorly) with my flip-out DVD unit. It was plug and play, since I previously had it installed in my 2001. However, I now have the Infinity Gold stereo which is leaps and bounds better than the base 6 speaker system

Continuing the above, the factory dash speakers were blown (as most of them are). I replaced them with upgraded 2.75" speakers from Amazon. $35 and they sound great

Brakes. I knew they were needed, but boy did they go south fast. Turns out the LF caliper had a piston that was literally falling apart, 3 separate chunks fell out when I removed it. That being said, I was still thrilled to discover that my Jeep had the Akebono brake upgrade performed at some point. For those that don't know: the '99-'01 Grand Cherokees came with ATE/Teves front calipers that applied uneven pressure on the brake pads and caused the rotors to warp prematurely. The '02-'04 models used an upgraded caliper from Akebono. Back then, owners of the early models could get the calipers swapped under warranty per a TSB and my particular unit has the upgrade. In addition, the OE Akebono calipers used phenolic (plastic) pistons which get brittle over the years and tend to crack. Aftermarket rebuilt calipers come with metal pistons as an upgrade. Anyways, the RF caliper had already been replaced with a metal piston unit which was in good shape so I slapped a new LF caliper on along with fresh pads and rotors and she stops like new. The caliper was $50, the pads and rotors set me back $65 all in.

Other than that, I haven't found any pressing issues so far, except for one: the 4x4 doesn't seem to be working. It has the NV247 t-case, and being as it was rainy today I took the opportunity to test the system. Hitting the throttle from a full stop produced nothing but rear wheel spin. My Jeep has the Quadra-Drive option, which adds Vari-Lock differentials front AND rear in addition to a full time 4wd transfer case. It wouldn't surprise me if the clutch pack in the t-case is bad, it tends to happen to the 247 when the fluid isn't changed regularly. I haven't decided what to do about it yet, I could find a good used 247 or swap it for a 242 like I had in my last Jeep. We'll see.

So, as of today I'm in for a little over $400, including purchase price. I really couldn't be happier, even with the 4wd issue. The running gear is completely solid, I'm actually surprised at how smooth it drives given the age, aftermarket wheels and tires, and the fact that it's still a 20 year old solid axle SUV. I have to say, my favorite part is having the 4.7 vs the 4.0. Yes, the V8 has it's faults, however the power gain over the 4.0 is unreal. My Laredo was fine, just slow. You had to plan things like merges, lane changes, and passing situations well in advance. With the 4.7, you just hit the go pedal and that's it. Quite the change.

Yes, the V8 has it's faults, however the power gain over the 4.0 is unreal.
To be honest the 4.7 is a nice, smooth, good sounding motor. It makes decent power for a little guy too. We had a Dakota with a 4.7 and it made it to 185k miles with a LOT of neglect and abuse.

AND your ~$400 Grand Cherokee it has one more thing going for it: it isn't one of those current-gen "Cherokee" "trail-rated" embarassments like the Cherokee Trailhawk or whatever that garbage is called.

Last edited:
AND your ~$400 Grand Cherokee it has one more thing going for it: it isn't one of those current-gen "Cherokee" "trail-rated" embarassments like the Cherokee Trailhawk or whatever that garbage is called.
I might be 🎣 taking the troll bait... but:
Whats embarrassing:unsure: and "garbage" :rolleyes: about a comfortable vehicle that can do MOAB stock? Please lend us the benefit of your extensive experience as an owner.:poop:

Sounds like a heckuva deal for $400... Does yours have the leather seats? The driver/passenger seats in a friend's ~2000 GC were some of the most comfortable seats I've ever spent any time in - incredibly plush, supple, and comfortable leather (this was circa 2017, so that Jeep was pretty ragged out - windows falling, etc. but those seats were fantastic).

Sounds like a heckuva deal for $400... Does yours have the leather seats? The driver/passenger seats in a friend's ~2000 GC were some of the most comfortable seats I've ever spent any time in - incredibly plush, supple, and comfortable leather (this was circa 2017, so that Jeep was pretty ragged out - windows falling, etc. but those seats were fantastic).

It does, indeed! Funny you bring it up, I have lower back issues and seat comfort is a huge part of my decision process when I buy a vehicle. My prior '01 GC had the base cloth seats and I thought those were comfy but the leather thrones in my new one put them to shame.

From what I've read, the '99-'01 models have better foam regardless of the material they're covered in. That may be true, but I can say with complete confidence that the '00 leather seats are even more comfortable than the '01 cloth seats. The leather was also better quality in the early models. Honestly, the seats remind me of my '95 Volvo 960. Keep in mind, I'm talking about trucks with 260k miles (old) and 225k (new) on them. Pretty impressive that they were able to withstand that kind of wear yet still maintain a high level of comfort and condition.

I am going to have my upholstery guy do some touch ups on the driver's seat. It doesn't have any rips or splits, but it does have wear showing on some of the grain in the thigh area of the bottom cushion. He'll be able to dye it back to like new, and I'll have him clean, seal, and condition all the seats while he's at it.

older Jeeps of all models are super popular for sure + are all over the place wherever 4 wheelin is popular, simple + inexpensive is surely good! glad you got things sorted on the cheep-jeep!!

To be honest the 4.7 is a nice, smooth, good sounding motor. It makes decent power for a little guy too. We had a Dakota with a 4.7 and it made it to 185k miles with a LOT of neglect and abuse.

I might be 🎣 taking the troll bait... but:
Whats embarrassing:unsure: and "garbage" :rolleyes: about a comfortable vehicle that can do MOAB stock? Please lend us the benefit of your extensive experience as an owner.:poop:
Maybe I don't know something, but seems to be doing an impressive job for a stock Cherokee. I highly doubt that a stock XJ, or even a mildly upgraded one, can do the same with such ease.

Maybe I don't know something, but seems to be doing an impressive job for a stock Cherokee. I highly doubt that a stock XJ, or even a mildly upgraded one, can do the same with such ease.

What was most impressive about that was that he did it on street tires. I'm not sure what the bottom of the Jeep looked like though. It appears he scraped that large rock when he made it to the top. Not much ground clearance for what he was doing.

My favorite of all times has been a 93 ZJ 4x4 with the 4.0 and the AW4 transmission. It was also surprisingly comfortable. I have a long back and never could fit right into the WJ. I ended up in a WK and it drove like a lifted Chrysler 300, but Not a Jeep. Didn’t stay with the wk long. Shouldve invested in the ZJ, but at 250k miles, it has hard to swallow the work it needed, to include frame straightening. But man, I loved that ute. How did they get it that right?

My favorite of all times has been a 93 ZJ 4x4 with the 4.0 and the AW4 transmission. It was also surprisingly comfortable. I have a long back and never could fit right into the WJ. I ended up in a WK and it drove like a lifted Chrysler 300, but Not a Jeep. Didn’t stay with the wk long. Shouldve invested in the ZJ, but at 250k miles, it has hard to swallow the work it needed, to include frame straightening. But man, I loved that ute. How did they get it that right?

That's funny! I'm 5'10, mostly leg, and I can't stand the ZJ seats. Neither the high back Laredo seats nor the Limited thrones are comfortable to me. Much too narrow.

WJ seats, OTOH, are a toss up. The '99-'01 seats are MUCH better than the '02-'04, save the Overland editions. My previous '01 Laredo with cloth was cushy, but my current '00 Limited with the power lumbar is sublime. However, my GF's '02 Laredo with the optional leather has seats seemingly sourced from a bus. Flat, hard, and zero support.

Back