2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee score!

As many of you know, my previous JGC met an unfortunate fate, and for some reason I just have not been able to forget about that truck. Well, I need not long any more as I picked up another one today!

This one is a 2000 Limited model, 4.7 V8 with Quadra-Drive. 226k miles. The rockers are rusty, as most of them up here are, however the chassis and underside are in great shape as is the interior. All it needs to drive is a high pressure power steering hose. It does have torn front CV boots, so that will have to be attended to, but other than that it's solid. The tires have 6-7/32 remaining, it's got new exhaust, a new alternator, a new battery, and a fresh service that were all just done.

Purchase price? $250! I didn't think I'd be able to beat my last one at $400...

Attachments

• jeep2000.jpg
    jeep2000.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 124
JGC with 4.0: 😄
JGC with literally anything else: :poop:

Still a good score. Cut the cats off and sell 'em before somebody else does you the favor!

Completely agree. I'm a glutton for punishment, what can I say. For $250, I'll risk it. All I'm going to do is throw a power steering hose on it and see what happens. I won't be putting any more money in it until A. I decide what to do with it and B. It doesn't break down. I can chuck it on FB for $750 easily, I won't lose on it.

Hope it isn’t like my 4.0 and blow up lol. I think mine was just faulty from the start since mine is an 01 it’s a Cherokee but still same engine.

I thought the 4.7 was pretty solid as long as you didn't get it hot? Although that is pretty much any engine containing an aluminium head, block or both!

I thought the 4.7 was pretty solid as long as you didn't get it hot? Although that is pretty much any engine containing an aluminium head, block or both!
the problem with the 4.7 is that they can drop seats in anything above normal usage or remotely hot, not just severe overheating. temp gauge moves off the middle = you might be in for a ride

the AMC 4.0 is one of those engines with a cult following, but nothing much to write home about. certainly not as long lived as either of the big sixes from ford/gm. the cherokee had a good and abusable automatic transmission, whereas almost all 6cyl GCs didn’t. most engines can in fact make it to 200k with minimal care

Last edited:
Watch out for frame rot where the rear suspension arms attach to the frame. I would put as little in it as possible. Hopefully you can do the work yourself, if you have to pay someone, I would just run it till it dies.

the problem with the 4.7 is that they can drop seats in anything above normal usage or remotely hot, not just severe overheating. temp gauge moves off the middle = you might be in for a ride

the AMC 4.0 is one of those engines with a cult following, but nothing much to write home about. certainly not as long lived as either of the big sixes from ford/gm. the cherokee had a good and abusable automatic transmission, whereas almost all 6cyl GCs didn’t. most engines can in fact make it to 200k with minimal care
And the the 4.0 can have piston skirt cracks causing catastrophic engine failure. I know personally.

Swap in a Predator engine from HF and your good to go.

Ah... I see that - I thought the new was a 4.0. The 4.7 when new however was also a rather fresh move - a lot of new tech. I remember when it was introduced. Lots of mpg tech from new mechanical designs, not just electronic nannies - it was considered a significant rework when most v8s if not all were still using well-aged designs. I had a 3.7, the same motor in a v6, and it never let me down.

OP’s signature line needs to be updated. Still has the totaled Jeep listed instead of the new one.
Fixed!

To respond to all the other comments: yes, I'm fully aware of the 4.7 issues. Especially at high mileage. Believe me, I plan on fixing the steering and driving the snot out of it to see how it operates before I put another dime in it. And yes, I do all my own work. I'd never take on something like this if I had to pay someone to fix it for me.

As it turns out, this thing is basically loaded for a 2000. There weren't many options for the Limited's, but this one seems to have all of them: the 4.7, Quadra Drive (the standard Quadra Trac II TC with Vari-Lock axles front and rear), the towing package, the sunroof. The only thing I'm not sure of is if it has the Up Country suspension option, however I doubt it as it looks to sit about equal to my '01.

I did price out front hubs, axles, and brakes from RA and came in at $227 for the cheap stuff. And yes, this thing will be done on the CHEAP.

Back