Jeep fender flares

Status
Not open for further replies.
What can you do to make the Jeep plastic fender flares look better. I have tried all the normal, armor all, back to black etc. Is there any thing permanent that you can do like paint or coat with something? I can not believe that Jeep made these fender flares, they just look bad!

I know what you mean. They make paint for the plastic bumper covers on todays modern cars. Get some in black or the color of your choice, clean them real good, mask them off and give them a coat of paint.

I used the Mr. Clean Magic eraser on my 98 cherokee sport. You'll have to do it a few times a year or they will turn gray again.

Tom slick has the answer. Just give them a good washing with dishsoap and warm water and let them dry.

1. Get some painters masking tape and tape up the paint around the flare. The tape should fit behind the flare so you don't get any black krylon fusion on the body of your jeep.

2. put 2-3 light coats on the flares. I let them dry 5- 10 mins between coats

3. take off the masking tape and you are good to go. I typically paint the flares every 2 years and they look like new!

A few years ago I detailed a Grand Cherokee with faded cladding. The owner wanted me to improve the looks but use something more durable than your typical dressing like those mentioned above.

After some research on Jeep forums, I came across a product called Penetrol. It is an additive for house paint but is also used to condition faded fiberglass. I applied it to the GC and it made a noticeable improvement. The owner was happy and it seemed to last a few months according to him.

Painting the flares is probably the best long term solution but if you want to try something before that, apply some Penetrol to them. You can find Penetrol at Home Depot and other hardware stores.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
try Black Wow.

I agree. One bottle will last a lifetime and you'll only need to use it about twice a year.

spray them with Line-X...hehe saw a truck the other day and the entire thing was line-x'd...a lot of people are spraying that on bumper's and light bars.. kinda attractive since you wouldn't have to worry about any sratches, stains, dings, etc.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz

After some research on Jeep forums, I came across a product called Penetrol. It is an additive for house paint but is also used to condition faded fiberglass. I applied it to the GC and it made a noticeable improvement. The owner was happy and it seemed to last a few months according to him.

Painting the flares is probably the best long term solution but if you want to try something before that, apply some Penetrol to them. You can find Penetrol at Home Depot and other hardware stores.

The Penetrol sounds interesting, I've never thought to use it on fiber glass. I've found that NuVinyl works alot better than typical protectant on exterior trim, and it would certainly be harmless if it didn't work.

I've had good luck with the Duplicolor Bumper Paint on semi-hard trim parts. It's important to clean any wax/silicone/etc. off the plastic first. They also have a plastic primer/adhesion promoter.
can_bumber.jpg

"Dupli-Color® Flexible Bumper Coating renews and protects weathered or discolored bumpers, moldings and rub strips. This tough protective coating offers superior adhesion to thermoplastic rubber and polyurethane bumpers.

* Uniform solid color
* Restores and preserves
* Renews weathered or discolored bumpers
* Ideal for use on bumpers, moldings and rub strips"

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Krylon fusion paint for plastics. make sure to clean and prep them really good before painting.

2nd that, it worked great for my faded grille!

Another vote for Black Wow before you start painting. Painting will work but Black Wow IMO is easier. Leave it on and let is sit a while before wiping it off. Can really work wonders.

Krylon fusion paint for plastics. make sure to clean and prep them really good before painting.

use a fine grit sandpaper first then a primer then 2 coats of paint

Originally Posted By: dgee

use a fine grit sandpaper first then a primer then 2 coats of paint
You shouldn't really need to prime, or even sand, plastic before you use Fusion. It has an adhesion promoter for plastics in it. You should be able to just clean it really good with some degreaser/wax remover and spray the paint. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back