Jeep compass any thoughts good or bad??

I like the RAM, Giulia, Wrangler, Gladiator, and 124.

The whole rest of their lineup can kick rocks.

Knocking the Wrangler for NVH has to be the stupidest thing I've ever read.
Cant even make this stuff up. "Its unreliable because you expect better..."

Imagine if toyota made this claim about about a 4Runner, lol!

Priceless.
Screenshot_20210330-064439_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210330-064439_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210330-064439_Chrome.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 2
My parents had a 2008 Compass all wheel drive with the cvt, they had it for 10 years and really liked it. The only issue they had was a leak from the oil filter mount fixed under warranty. The interior was very cheap looking, the plastics would scratch easily. They never changed the cvt fluid or the coolant.

Cant even make this stuff up. "Its unreliable because you expect better..."

Imagine if toyota made this claim about about a 4Runner, lol!

Priceless.
View attachment 51900
I guess some people would think its a KISS tough vehicle but that only applies to the suspension(on the base models). Its got all the same gizmos and systems as any modern car and probably most of it isn't toughened for off-road abuse more than a Caravan . I'd think Toyota probably spends a bit more making sure their various Landcruiser models can handle years of use rarely on pavement.

My wife likes hers. A 2019 bought in January 2020 for 30% off MSRP.
4WD and winter package are the only significant options. We average 5 months of winter and 100" of snow, so she appreciates the convenience.
Port injected, no turbo or DI. 9 speed trans, no CVT. It's no hot rod, but with all that torque multiplication it scoots when you jump on it. As mentioned above, the brakes are very touchy. As you might expect, that has diminished somewhat at around 15K miles.
My only complaint is the size. I'm over six feet and 200 lbs, so I'd have chosen something with more room for the driver. But, I rarely drive it, and it fits my wife just fine.

FCA/Stellantis could come out and say “water is wet, the sky is blue” and Consumer Reports would say water really isn’t wet and the sky really isn’t blue because they interviewed 0.07% of the population and they said it wasn’t…
Ah yes, the persecution complex.

"The world is out to get me, even if I do everything right!!!"
I think you have me confused for someone else. I’ll call out a terrible car when I see it, but I will not blanket statement entire brands. Would it make you feel better if I said… oh I don’t know… Toyota, or Subaru maybe, makes the greatest cars ever and anyone who doesn’t think the same has a “persecution complex” and is just blinded by brand loyalty? Because that’s how you act.
I think I have the right guy. Your words speak for themselves.

WRT Jeep in general, I think there is a disconnect with customer expectations on the part of those that evaluate and review cars.

The majority of the buying public wants reliability, value for their money, decent gas mileage, ride comfort, decent resale value, etc...

Jeep buyers want off road capability, rugged image, resale value, etc. These buyers are willing to forego comfort, reliability, gas mileage, etc.

So when CR, et al, evaluates these vehicles, they get a terrible rating because the frame of reference is with that of the traditional car buyer. Except Jeep buyers are looking for something different.

So then we argue about it.

How does Hyundai and Kia get a pass on the crap they made?
I’d say Hyundai and Kia have made improvements and their cars aren’t still rolling dumpsters. They’ve had some engine issues that they have addressed. The rest of the car itself is fine.

Reactions: Ws6
I own a 2017.5 Compass Trailhawk. This the new style MP model with the 2.4 and the 9 speed. My Trailhawk has low 4 wheel lock mode. Which is great for going down through logging trails and other off- road trails. Not as well as my JKU can but surprisingly it does get it done in most cases. I think most people here are thinking of the old version of the compass with the cvt, which I would not buy.
I have to say my Compass has been a very good vehicle. It is a great vehicle for going through the snow.
I have 108,000 miles on it now. It does not burn any oil, gets 25 to 30 mpg. I just installed new sparkplugs and pvc valve and change rear differential fluid. Brakes are scheduled for later this spring. I am 6' 200lbs it fits me just fine. I would tell anyone to go test drive one and any of it's competitors. Like anything it comes down to what you like and what you can afford.

"Any machine is only as good as the maintenance it receives". However, you cannot ignore that "good, better and best" exist. Get real.
Also, it's been my experience that peoples' day-in-day-out treatment of a vehicle has enormous impact on vehicle longevity.

I just wish they (car makers) would stick with bodies and frames longer and keep at improving them.
Stupid car buyers "always" want newness.

Also, why doesn't Scotty say things just once? His videos could be a minute long.
This criticism applies to most videos....and movies and radio shows.

I think I have the right guy. Your words speak for themselves.

WRT Jeep in general, I think there is a disconnect with customer expectations on the part of those that evaluate and review cars.

The majority of the buying public wants reliability, value for their money, decent gas mileage, ride comfort, decent resale value, etc...

Jeep buyers want off road capability, rugged image, resale value, etc. These buyers are willing to forego comfort, reliability, gas mileage, etc.

So when CR, et al, evaluates these vehicles, they get a terrible rating because the frame of reference is with that of the traditional car buyer. Except Jeep buyers are looking for something different.

So then we argue about it.
So in other words… water is wet, the sky is blue, and grass is green.

So in other words… water is wet, the sky is blue, and grass is green.
While I can't say that I agree with your metaphor in the context of this conversation, I suppose a myopic person may distill the subtleties of the conversation to that.

Are you a glass half full, glass half empty, or smash the glass person?

Last edited:
While I can't say that I agree with your metaphor in the context of this conversation, I suppose a myopic person may distill the subtleties of the conversation to that.

Are you a glass half full, glass half empty, or smash the glass person?
Be prepared for the worst, hope for the best.

Wife has 106000 miles on her jeep Cherokee limited 4x4 with the V6. Had a front axle issue fixed under warranty. Other that, no repairs, only maintenance.

I have a few Jeeps...

The Cherokee and Renegade burn a bit of oil, but I'm not really concerned about that. It could be a concern for others. It's about 2qt every 5000 mile change for both, which is right in line with an awful lot of other new vehicles. The 2.4 Multiair does have a recall out there for consumption testing.

I have had absolutely 0 reliability issues overall with the 2 older ones. The Gladiator is 3 days old so I can't speak for that yet.

I have a 21 Limited that's been great. No issues great on trips took 2400 miles trip Michigan to Mississippi and back. The only oil used was 1st 500 miles normal IMHO. Last 8k oil change no oil added. 18K miles and running and driving great. No Complaints Much better than previous Ford Escape.

Back