Jeep compass any thoughts good or bad??

I like the newer ones, they look like a baby Grand Cherokee. I'd take a look at it if I was in the market for a small cuv. NA 2.4 with a traditional 6 speed should be a decent powertrain.

Avoid the 2.4L 4 cylinder IMO. I usually make fun of “those people” but I’m about to be one… 3 out of 4 people I know who had a 2.4 had it start burning oil around the 50k mile mark… can’t speak for the maintenance 2 of those 3 had, but my brother religiously changed his oil every 5,000 miles and it still started burning oil.

I’d step up to a v6 Cherokee.

I like the newer ones, they look like a baby Grand Cherokee. I'd take a look at it if I was in the market for a small cuv. NA 2.4 with a traditional 6 speed should be a decent powertrain.
They got rid of the CVT? If so, it would at least make it onto the list of considerations to look at.

My mom had a 12' Patriot with a CVT and I was not a fan.

Wow lots of hate here.

And properly so, agree with the thumbs down consensus.

I got it straight from a long time Jeep Mantenance Manager a couple years ago.

He said: "Don't even consider a new Jeep unless it is a Wrangler or Grand Cherokee."

The best Jeeps are made in Toledo. A museum is supposed to open there next year and is inspired by the Corvette/Harley museums. Expected to attract 250k people per year.

Hi.
A Fiat product made in Mexico. What could possibly go wrong? :)

On a more serious note, how long do you envisage keeping it? If you planned going outside any warranty period i would try steer your wife toward Toyota Rav4 or Honda CRV.

Longtime Jeep Wrangler owner here. I currently own a 2019 4 Door Sport. Personally, I am of the opinion that the only Jeeps worth buying are the Wrangler/Gladiator and Grand Cherokee. It seems the lower models receive cheaper parts(which doesn't mean the Jeeps I mentioned don't have trouble areas. The engines/trannys/drivetrains in general though are rock solid at the least.) With that said my in-law and another close friend both own a Jeep Compass. 2018 and a 2019. Neither of them have had any issues between about 60,000 miles. Both love their vehicles and intend to buy the lease out.

What I've realized with vehicles is to just buy what you like. Everybody's experience is different. All I see online is hate about Wranglers but with mine I've never had an issue, just maintenance. If your wife likes it, go for it. Happiness is better than siding with internet group thinking.

the wrangler has no peer - solid front axle, removable top and doors, available front locker and discos for under 50k. so if that is your bag, you are pretty much stuck with Fiat quality.

the compass has more peers than you can shake a stick at ...

I rented one for a week, I strongly suggest that you do the same before you buy one. After one week of driving it (actually, after the second day), I decided that I would never buy one. Slow, noisy, unresponsive transmission, clumsy handling, cramped, uncomfortable, crude, thirsty (the one I rented was a AWD/4WD, maybe the FWD isn't as thirsty), and has a miniature gas tank (it only took about 10 gallons when the low fuel light came on). On day four the check engine light came on and from day one the turn signals wouldn't cancel consistently (dangerous on lane changes). It only had 2k miles on it, typical FCA garbage.

Last edited:
Looking for a newer ride for my wife she said the jeep caught her eye

Happy wife, happy life. Buy her what she wants or likes and that will be the best choice.

If she ends up with something she doesn't like that you suggested, you will never hear the end of it and will end up with what she wanted in the first place.

I don't understand the Fiat animosity here, yes Fiat may not make the most reliable vehicles in Europe but lets me real here, Jeep's are plenty unreliable without the Italians supposedly dragging them down. Jeep regularly finishes near the bottom of JD & Powers reliability index, and it ain't because the boys from Turin botched a great vehicle called the Jeep Compass. The first gen 07-17 all Chrysler design is a much poorer vehicle than the second gen 2018 Fiat derived one, maybe folks here are just confusing the two.

Back