JD plus 50 10w-30 07 powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah when I bought it, it was expensive as [censored] and ended up returning it because of the price. Not sure why, and that dealer was over 45 mins away. Almost an hour...

I'll keep my eyes open for the sale. I have Rotella T5 10w30 going in my Powerstroke next ($16.47/gal plus the $5/gal rebate and Fuel Rewards bring the cost down), but am very intrigued by this as well.

Originally Posted By: sdude2k2000
I'll keep my eyes open for the sale. I have Rotella T5 10w30 going in my Powerstroke next ($16.47/gal plus the $5/gal rebate and Fuel Rewards bring the cost down), but am very intrigued by this as well.
How did you get Fuel Rewards on the T5? I thought only My Miles Matter would work with Shell diesel oils?

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
How did you get Fuel Rewards on the T5? I thought only My Miles Matter would work with Shell diesel oils?

Correct. You can cash the My Miles Matter in for various "things" (think of the old school rewards catalog)... one of them is fuel rewards through FRN.

Road Runner,
Did you ever consider trying one analysis with an interval of 15k? Your ppms of wear are so low it would be interesting to see how this oil would compare to the Cummins and Duramax on extended intervals with an oil that is so suitable for the 6.0 application. If you are running mostly 150 highway miles per trip, its about ideal for such a test.

I know its your truck and your risk but it would be interesting to see what a double interval would look like and I doubt that any harm would be done in one interval.

I would consider it in my 7.3 but I don't put this many miles on in a year or I would try it after sampling at 7.5k. I don't know that I would like to double the time to two years with a lot of short trips as well as doubling the interval.

Just a thought ...

T-stick,

You most certainly can try the experiement yourself. The oil and lube have zero idea how old they are; I can assure you of that. I have run O/FCIs out to three years with no ill effects. Run out to 7.5k miles, then sample. Extend and sample again. Etc.

When I started professing the benefits of extended OCIs, I put my money where my mouth is. I have run 10k and 15k mile OCIs on my gassers on dino PCMO. I have run multi-year OCIs on my Dmax, Kubota and Scag on dino HDEO. I have proof that well-managed OCIs are both safe and efficient.

Don't ask others to do; do so yourself! Why follow when you can lead by example?

Last edited:
No leading or following going on here ...
Its always understood the owner has full prerogative to do whatever he pleases ... Its not like you haven't ever encouraged someone to extend the interval ...

I have run out a TBN to 0.1 in the interest of science. Have you ever gone that low?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=232360

JD formulates for up to 500 hours (which could equate to 25k-30k) in one year. So what I suggested is within the boundaries of formulation. Running it out 2 years with a lot of short trips is outside those boundaries--signficant difference. I would have no problem running this oil out 15k in one year in my truck if I drove it enough to do so.

Last edited:
1) I wasn't trying to taunt you; it was a suggestion - not a mandate. All owners are free to do as they choose. I was trying to encourage you, not start an argument. My apologies if that was misinterpreted. I most certainly do encourage the OCI extension when the data supports it, but more importantly, I practice what I preach.

2) Why are you stuck on the "... or one year" mantra? The entire point of UOAs is to eschew the artificial limits of time and distnace, and use the direct condition of the lube and inferred condition of the equipment to be your guide. I have many examples to show that the calendar is worthless in that regard.

3) I have not seen any statistically significant evidence to show that "severe" use actually makes any difference in a UOA against macro data analysis. Just because you short trip things or would tow heavy does not assure wear-rate is going to jump past the standard deviation response; to the contrary it rarely moves much at all in most any example.

If it is your position that the JD lube is good to 25k miles (and I would contend there is reaasonable evidence to support your claim), then why stop when the calendar prescibes some artificial limit?

Last edited:
Ok thanks--that helps

I can't give any reasoning for my stance other than the formulators are drawing a time-line in the sand for some reason. They are generous with a 500 hours of operation but they limit the time. Amsoil does the same on extended intervals. I can only assume that some detrimental things may happen which might not be picked up in the UOA--otherwise they might say don't go beyond 1 year without using analysis. They obviously have more information for their stance than I would have to go against it.

It's not a mystery; they limit the time to protect their warranty exposure. Just as they do with mileage.

Having solid UOA information is plenty of sane reason to extend.

However, you must do as you feel comfortable. If one year is your limit, then using a lesser expensive dino lube will help dial in the ROI. Most any decent CJ-4 can go a long distance in a year.

Last edited:
this is the ole "you can lead a horse to water" syndrome.. I remember a thing consumers report did some years ago with NYC taxi's to determine is one brand oil was better than another.. they changed the oil every 3k miles and on some did 6K miles. The cars were new when the test started and they provided oil, filter etc. After 60K miles they tore down the engines.

here is a part of this report linked below.

"To determine whether frequent oil changes really help, we changed the oil in three cabs every 3,000 miles, using Pennzoil 10W-30. After 60,000 miles, we compared those engines with the engines from our base tests of the same oil, changed every 6,000 miles. We saw no meaningful differences."

http://tinyurl.com/l9nagep

Just because everyone says you can go more than 7500 miles on oil, backed up with UOA, some like to go with what the manual says.. guess it give them peace of mind. for me I like saving money and helping the environment. Heck in Europe the norm for oil change is closer to 10K.

I had a question for roadrunner?.. what the heck do you do to get them miles?? bank robber maybe..
blush.gif

While not really my place to speak for him, I can tell you he's moved on to a new 6.7L PSD and I believe he may be using the new formulation.
But the post previous to yours was 18 months ago, so he probably not active in thread unless he happens upon this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back