JD plus 50 10w-30 07 powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a killer oil! With both Mo and B AW additives!
It's too bad PSDs call for such frequent OCIs, if they didn't I'd advise getting a TBN analysis. I'm sure with a Ca level>4000ppm the TBN is still strong and you could go 15020K miles before that gets near depleted.

Charlie

current fill is still CI-4, I have enough for two more oc then off to CJ-4

sorry I just looked over my post and seen I didn't list

sample; 10w-30 CI-4 John Deere plus 50
and obviously remarks from lab were acceptable

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daman
Do you plan on extending the interval? sure looks like you can with ease.

From the looks of the samples I probably could, after all the true meaning of the "plus 50" is 50% over service interval. 10,000 mi. oc's are probably not out of the question.

I really can't understand why more powerstroke owners aren't using a 10w-30 grade,(duramax's also) almost everyone I talk to is not only afraid of 10w-30, but also leary of going up to 5,000mi. oci's. alot of guys are changing oil at 3,000mi. oci's

I know this subject has been hashed over before, but prior to the advent of 15w-40 all we used in all of our diesels was straight 30wt.(other that the detroits)with zero issues.

A 10w30HDEO can be used no problem yes,it's been proven here over and over,a thick 15w40 is not needed for longevity,UOA's show great results from a thinner oil.

anyway i would definitely take it out longer rr your waisting a limited supply of quality oil!

Update to my old thread;
'07 F350 Powerstroke
sample drawn 3/23/11
oil sampled John Deere Plus 50 10w-30 (CI-4)
miles on sample 7,512 (127,376mi. total)
Oilscan through Deere

iron..........................12
chromium...................... nickel.........................1
aluminum.......................3
lead...........................3
copper.........................1
tin........................... silver........................ titanium...................... silicon........................7
boron........................206
sodium.........................6
potassium.................... moly.........................136
phos........................1504
zinc........................1733
calcium.....................4418
barium....................... magnesuim.....................11
antimony..................... vanaduim...................... fuel% vol..................... t/s% vol.......................1
water% vol................... vis cs 100c.................10.5

Almost a carbon copy as the last five, for as long as I own this 6.0 10w-30 is the only viscosity I'll use.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Originally Posted By: daman
Do you plan on extending the interval? sure looks like you can with ease.

From the looks of the samples I probably could, after all the true meaning of the "plus 50" is 50% over service interval. 10,000 mi. oc's are probably not out of the question.

I really can't understand why more powerstroke owners aren't using a 10w-30 grade,(duramax's also) almost everyone I talk to is not only afraid of 10w-30, but also leary of going up to 5,000mi. oci's. alot of guys are changing oil at 3,000mi. oci's

I know this subject has been hashed over before, but prior to the advent of 15w-40 all we used in all of our diesels was straight 30wt.(other that the detroits)with zero issues.

I still use 30W in my diesels-well, all the really old ones, anyhow. Valvoline PBX 5W40 in the 6.0 exclusively.

Good report. Fine oil. What are you paying for it? Several Deere dealers around here (I have some Deere equipment) but I inquired once and it was about 1.5 times the retail price of what I'm buying now... and if I'm careful, I can get that on sale. Anyway, if you are getting a "good-guy" deal, maybe I can beat somebody up locally and get one too.

Jim, my local JD dealership has "John Deere Days" in April and offers a discount on most products. I assume your dealer does something similar? If so it might be a good time to buy a pail if you were interested in the 10w30.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Good report. Fine oil. What are you paying for it? Several Deere dealers around here (I have some Deere equipment) but I inquired once and it was about 1.5 times the retail price of what I'm buying now... and if I'm careful, I can get that on sale. Anyway, if you are getting a "good-guy" deal, maybe I can beat somebody up locally and get one too.

Last year I bought up all my dealer had left of the CI-4 stock at 11 a gallon. I'm in NW Ohio also, so we are probably using the same dealer. I have a couple cases of the CJ-4 ordered, but I don't know the price of it yet.

Well I thought I would add to an old thread vs. starting a new one

'07 6.0 powerstroke
sampled on 9/4/11
John Deere Plus 50 10w-30 CI-4
7,483 mi. on sample (134,859 mi. total on truck)

iron...............................11
chromium............................1
nickel..............................1
aluminum............................1
lead................................2
copper..............................2
tin.................................2
silver............................ titanium........................... silicon.............................7
boron.............................203
sodium..............................7
potassium......................... molybdenum........................139
phosphorus.......................1505
zinc.............................1769
calcium..........................4388
barium............................ magnesium..........................15
antimony.......................... vanadium........................... fuel% vol.......................... t/s% vol............................1
water% vol........................ vis cs 100c......................10.5

This was my last of the CI-4, current fill is CJ-4 Plus 50 II. Every sample of this brand/grade has been almost exactly the same as the previous one

The Plus 50 II is CJ-4, the older Plus 50 was CI-4, CI-4+.

I am quite pleased with the results, and this interval will be the first on this engine with Plus 50 II so I am curious what, if any differences will show up in the next UOA.

Your U0A's look so good I picked up some +50 for my 7.3 today. However I like 15W-40. @ $13.00a gal I feel like it's a deal.
I might even switch the dmax over to it.
BTW the JD dealer still has several cases of CI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Well I thought I would add to an old thread vs. starting a new one

'07 6.0 powerstroke
sampled on 9/4/11
John Deere Plus 50 10w-30 CI-4
7,483 mi. on sample (134,859 mi. total on truck)

iron...............................11
chromium............................1
nickel..............................1
aluminum............................1
lead................................2
copper..............................2
tin.................................2
silver............................ titanium........................... silicon.............................7
boron.............................203
sodium..............................7
potassium......................... molybdenum........................139
phosphorus.......................1505
zinc.............................1769
calcium..........................4388
barium............................ magnesium..........................15
antimony.......................... vanadium........................... fuel% vol.......................... t/s% vol............................1
water% vol........................ vis cs 100c......................10.5

This was my last of the CI-4, current fill is CJ-4 Plus 50 II. Every sample of this brand/grade has been almost exactly the same as the previous one

Hot off of the printing press I have the latest UOA for this truck;

John Deere Plus 50 II 10w-30 CJ-4
sample drawn 1/10/12
OILSCAN (through Deere)
7,300 miles on sample
142,158 miles total
'07 F350 6.0 Powerstroke
iron.....................................16
chromium..................................1
nickel................................... aluminum..................................2
lead......................................4
copper....................................1
tin.......................................3
silver.................................. titanium................................. silicon...................................5
boron...................................275
sodium....................................5
potassium............................... molybdenum..............................256
phosphorus.............................1172
zinc...................................1367
calcium................................2242
barium.................................. magnesium...............................726
antimony................................ vanadium................................. fuel% vol............................... t/s% vol..................................1
water% vol.............................. vis cs 100`C...........................10.4

This was my first run of the CJ-4 spec lube, it appears the only real differences are the added magnesium, boron, and moly. Then decreases in phosphorus, zinc, and calcium, typical for CJ-4 speced lube.

Wear wise there doesn't seem to be hardly any real differences between this report and the last 7 or 8 reports, FE went from 11 to 16 and I really don't see that as an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back