Jackstands or Ramps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by kenw:
If you had the Rhino ramps collapse there's something amiss with either the ramps' condition or the position of the vehicle.

a 3000lb car does not put 3000 all on one ramp.

The ramps are strong enough to handle loads up to 8000 lbs. GVW capacity.
Can't see how one collapsed.
confused.gif

I've never heard of a product failure with Rhino Ramp when used properly.
The company would be out of business if the product failed.

[ October 24, 2005, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Colt ]

I have some ramps that address the "will they collapse on me?" issue. They are made of recycled tires. As such they are solid rubber. I have only seen them for sale at the Canadian Tire, and have never seen any information on the web about them so they may be a niche product. Very difficult to collapse. Also very difficult to move, as they weigh a ton.

Only problem is with low clearances. They are not quite as raked as steel ramps (structural issues would make the rubber weak if they got that thin at the front). My car knocks them back due toits excessive lowness and the front spoiler.

quote:

Originally posted by ucandoit:
I wonder if the front spoiler on my Matrix will clear on the Rhinos...I need something so I can get under my car to start doing my own oil changes again

I use the Rhinos for my 2005 Toyota Corolla with ease.

I've also used them with the following with no worries;

1978 F250
1986 Jetta
1990 F150
1994 F150
1996 Chev C1500
1999 Ford Taurus
1993 Caravan
2000 Chev Silverado 4x4
2001 Honda civic
2004 PT Cruiser
2005 Vue

All had no clearence issues or looked like they were going to collapse.

Worth their weight! Use them everytime when I work on an outfit.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I don't think its even remotely possible for the 12,000 Rhino Ramps to collapse ..seing how they are constructed. And bear in mind that there is a safety factor of at least 3 to one (I would think).

I have heard horror stories with ramps being used. granted I dont know the cercumstances of if to light of a ramp was used with a heavy vehicle. but I would rather use jack stands. they seem to be built better and not stamp metal. but I dont have to worry about this as I have a 4x4 dakota and just have to slide under the truck
tongue.gif

but I do like that Kwiklift.

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:

quote:

Originally posted by Korean_redneck:
I just bought a pair of Jackstands at Walmart, they are 2 ton and cost 10.00. they are ANSI certified.. whatever that means....

ANSI doesn't "certify" anything. Equipment can be designed and tested to meet ANSI standards. I personally would have reservations about $10 jack stands, but it's possible for them to be alright, if used as intended.

I think an ANSI standard compliance is self declared - like the CE Mark.
http://www.ansi.org/

neither! don't need them!!

[might have something to do with the fact I drive a 90 Jeep Cherokee with a 6" lift and 33" tires. I sit under my vehicle. Comfortably.
wink.gif
]

oh, ok-- I have jackstands for the inevitable wheel servicing and such, and a set of 12K pound rhino ramps. Don't have any problems with being under either-- in fact my Blazer's front end is on the stands right now as I cut off the offending independent front suspension bits in prep for my axle swap project
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back