Jack Pad for HF floor jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to find a good jack pad for my Harbor Freight floor jack.

The ID of the cup is 3.75"
the OD is 4.25"

The slotted ones I have purchased in the past has always cracked right down the slot, (of course, it is a stress concentration area).

Maybe I should just go buy a hockey puck???

Last edited:
Here's one I made. Works very well.

DSCF2876.JPG

DSCF2875.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Trying to find a good jack pad for my Harbor Freight floor jack.

The ID of the cup is 3.75"
the OD is 4.25"

The slotted ones I have purchased in the past has always cracked right down the slot, (of course, it is a stress concentration area).

Maybe I should just go buy a hockey puck???
If you want to use a puck, cut it in half and secure it to a piece of plywood. Then you can have your gap for the pinch weld without having it crack, as well as having something that will sit inside your jack cup and won't be easily lost. I've had my puck get stuck to the car and then drop and roll away, falls off when you are moving your jack around, etc. Also, no one will grab it for a game of shinny.

If you want an actual jack pad for jacking on hard points, the hockey puck is good, but it is a little bit too hard. I've used my hockey puck a lot on hex head fasteners (subframe mount) and it is crushed and cracked now. At first I had the orange foam practice puck and the black rubber stacked and that worked pretty well, but I think my dog stole the orange puck.

Disposable wood is still the ultimate I think, it can compress slightly and provide more surface area. I have 12x10 PSL or LVL off cuts and then are the ultimate for jack stand pads because they are very strong and do not crack, but still give a little which gives me confidence that they will not slip

I also just got a 3/4 horse stall mat from TSC as a chair mat and the offcuts from that are deffo becoming jack pads. I was thinking about contact cementing them together to get a nice, thick rubber block.

What a coincidence. My neighbor asked me the same thing last night. I was going to point him towards a QuickJack because he's always working on his vehicles but these suggestions seem better suited for him vs the "don't work under your vehicle when using our product" QuickJack.

I bought a NAPA pad. It was too big, but it has concentric grooves that made it super easy to trim to the perfect diameter with a box cutter. I glued it down with silicone adhesive. works perfectly.

I used a hockey puck. I cut it a little less than halfway through it right down the center with a circular saw about 1.5 times the width of the blade. I works well on pinch welds.

I find there is zero need to cut a groove in a puck. It compresses down with the weight. Most of the time I find a piece of 3/4 ply wood cut to fit the jack works best, like I've done thousands of times on the pinch weld or any other solid part of the car, or suspension. You can do a lot with 2 or 3 good floor jacks. Some cars like Toyota's for one, you can do a 3 point lift and get the whole car in the air easily.

Originally Posted by Traction
I find there is zero need to cut a groove in a puck. It compresses down with the weight. Most of the time I find a piece of 3/4 ply wood cut to fit the jack works best, like I've done thousands of times on the pinch weld or any other solid part of the car, or suspension. You can do a lot with 2 or 3 good floor jacks. Some cars like Toyota's for one, you can do a 3 point lift and get the whole car in the air easily.

I use 3/4 plywood as well. I used a tomato paste can for a template for the circle, it made for a perfect fit for my 4 ton floor jack.

I usually use wood...3/4 pine or whatever...use a hole saw to cut what ever size you need I make up several at a time , if you crush one to badly , you always have a spare

I have a cheap rubber puck one and a more expensive machined aluminum jack pad. The rubber one was a few dollars and the fab'd aluminum one was close to $20 iirc. Both intended for pinch weld jacking. The aluminum one is nice because it has magnets in it so you can secure it on the rocker panel pinch weld, then line the jack up with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back