Jack oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a lightweight aluminum jack from Summit racing and I checked the jack oil that came with the Made in China jack (although it does look like it's got some quality to it) and it looks a bit low BUT the oil smells like kerosene - it's clear and very thin.

Is this really jack oil? Or is it just a shipping oil?

What hydraulic fluid should I get? I was thinking about stopping by Walmart to get some.

There aren't any safety considerations re: the use of ATF?

I can get some Supertech stuff for real cheap... but I don't want the car falling down on me!

FYI the stuff that was factory fill did NOT look anything like oil... it was more like kerosene/mineral oil than anything. It had a ultra strong petro odor and was really lightweight.

ATF is great for low temp operation, since its about a 0W20.

The jack manufacturer's usually determine the type of oil based on the oil's compressibility and its seal compatibility.

If using ATF, I would use the mineral-oil based versions.

I don't know a whole lot about jack oil but...

There is such a thing as hydraulic jack oil. It's usually in auto parts stores or perhaps the auto section at Wal-Mart. It comes in a quart container (looking pretty much like a motor oil containter). I've got a quart that I bought eons ago somewhere in the garage.

Any ISO 68 thru 100 AW Hydraulic fluid should work.

In fact, I have used SAE 30 weight ND engine oil in a pinch and it works fine.

My car jack says to use SAE 10 oil only. I dunno where Im gonna find that. ATF might have to be the closest substitute.

There aren't any safety considerations re: the use of ATF?

I can get some Supertech stuff for real cheap... but I don't want the car falling down on me!

Dang! I hope you don't climb under your car without using jack stands!

I changed the oil in the jack w/ Supertech ATF.

I always use jackstands but it'd be nice if the ATF doesn't cause any problems.

I have been using atf in floor jacks seince I was a teenager, so far no problems
dunno.gif

[ October 15, 2003, 03:31 AM: Message edited by: RavenTai ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back