I've been playing with Ubuntu Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
I burned Ubuntu 7.04 onto a CD a few days ago. Every couple of years I get the "itch" to try Linux out. Most of the time I play for a few minutes, get frustrated and give up. Ubuntu has a feature that allows you to run Linux directly from a CD without installing any files on your computer, which they call Ubuntu Live. If you like Ubuntu you can install a permanent copy to your computer directly from the Live CD.

Impressions: Linux has come a very long way in the past 1-2 years. For the average user who wants to surf the net and use email Ubuntu is a viable option. It has a clean user interface and the programs are easy to locate and run. I was able to set up a network and use the internet in less than 10 minutes. It only takes Ubuntu about 40 seconds to boot up and the low hardware requirements make bringing an old computer out of retirement extremely doable.

My next computer will most likely be devoid of any Microsoft products. Ubuntu comes with Open Office, which is almost identical to Microsoft Office and it's free! There are free photo editing and multimedia applications that install with Ubuntu, so you really don't need to go out and buy any extra software. There are sites that have thousands upon thousands of Linux apps available for free download, so there is plenty of software out there.

Ubuntu has a lot of themes available, so don't let the default user interface turn you off. The desktop can be customized to look like a work of art if you want to change it up.

I found this link for cheap Linux based computers. I don't know if there service is any good, but how can you go wrong with a computer for as low as $139? Granted, you will probably want to add more memory, a larger hdd and a CD or DVD drive. I am sure that there are other sites out there selling preloaded Linux systems. I know that Dell sells computers loaded with Linux as well.

http://store.madtux.org/product_info.php?cPath=57&products_id=311

Make sure you goto www.getautomatix.com and download their package manager. It will load java, flashplayer, firefox plugins, mplayer with codecs etc, all the "non open source" type apps that Ubuntu won't distribute.

I've been using ubuntu for about 2 years. A friend of mine just purchased two linux machines, one for himself and one for his MIL; he has never used linux, but got it up and running in 30 minutes.

www.jncs.com in NY sells OS-less machines that support ubuntu, so purchasing a compatible machine is not a ---- shoot.

Ubuntu is definately a good option though. I prefer Kubuntu since Gnome is annoyingly simplistic.(I've heard they finally fixed the panel bug though) Still people that don't like change, even small ones will be annoyed and run back to microsoft.(Although I hope they don't get office 2007
smirk.gif
)

I've been using Kubuntu since PC-BSD wouldn't install on my new hard drive. I miss a couple of features from PC-BSD, but it's nice to have a better supported system.(flash, codecs, ect.) I don't have 3D acceleration, but I also don't play games.

I downloaded Kubuntu 7.04 a few weeks ago but haven't tried it out yet- probably test it on my laptop PC or a spare hard drive I need to reconnect. The (K)Ubuntu flavor of Linux seems quite popular indeed.

Been running Fedora Core 6 on my Athlon 64 since January of this year (yeah, I much prefer KDE also 'cause it is more tweakable).

I love Linux. Period. Rock-stable and free. And I wholeheartedly agree it has come a long way in the past one to two or so years.

I was able to install 704, but the beta would not run after installing (710).

Neither my printer nor my MFD is supported. In terms of acceptance by the average desktop home user, they've really got to dumb it down more, and make installation options safer (so as not to accidently overwrite things). How about easy software installations? I downloaded a flash package to install to 704, but couldn't get it to. The average home user isn't going to invoke a command line to do an install. AFAIK, the AHU doesn't even know what a command line is.

And that's where future success will be for Linux on the desktop of the average home user: it's gotta be a 'no-brainer'. Too much of it's difficulty and geekiness still shows through.
tombstone.gif

Quote:

Screenshot-Automatix2-1.png

Not sure how much easier than this it can be made.

I ran the 64 bit version for a few months but there were a few programs that would not run even with the 32 bit librarys installed.

I installed the 32 bit version 7.04 and using the Gnome GUI and it am happy with it.

I too tried the new version of 7.10 on a box which is in late Beta and took it off as there were some issues.

I am sticking with version 7.04. It will continue being supported even after the 7.19 version is released.

Two books that I recommend are Ubuntu Hacks and The Official Ubuntu Book.

I have Uubuntu installed on the same hard drive as Windows XP Media Edition.

I'm typing this on an 800mhz laptop running xubuntu, the lite version of Ubuntu. If you're going to run linux on a laptop, make sure your cooling is working properly. I had to experiment a little with several programs to get the fan working right. On a desktop, this shouldn't be an issue.

Quote:

I was able to install 704, but the beta would not run after installing (710).

Neither my printer nor my MFD is supported. In terms of acceptance by the average desktop home user, they've really got to dumb it down more, and make installation options safer (so as not to accidently overwrite things). How about easy software installations? I downloaded a flash package to install to 704, but couldn't get it to. The average home user isn't going to invoke a command line to do an install. AFAIK, the AHU doesn't even know what a command line is.

And that's where future success will be for Linux on the desktop of the average home user: it's gotta be a 'no-brainer'. Too much of it's difficulty and geekiness still shows through.
tombstone.gif

Back in the days of DOS there were 66 commands as I recall + the commands for Word Star, Word Perfect, etc. You had an autoexec.bat and config.sys file that had to be setup and tweaked even running Windows when it came out because it actually ran on top of DOS.

There have been - are volumes of books written and sold on the Windows Operating system.

Linux finding itself being used on more desktops now and Dell and others are selling Computers with Ubuntu Linux as the operating system.

Linux is not for everyone but it does offer an alternative.

Am running a dual-boot mandriva/XP machine. Firefox and thunderbird share everything (mail, bookmarks, cookies) seamlessly between both os's.

Once past this hurdle it's real simple.

Granted, all I use the linux side is surfing and email, but it's 99% of what I do anyway. The bootloader gives me 3 seconds to abort the default linux and go into XP.

Ubuntu live doesn't really like my 256 megs of ram and takes 1/2 hour to boot. It booted in 3 minutes on my B-I-Ls dead box, however, and let him back up his data to an external HD for which he's eternally grateful. (XP cd saw blank partitions.)

They need to make video editing a lot easier... still tons of dependencies to iron out for the simplest things.

Quote:

Am running a dual-boot mandriva/XP machine. Firefox and thunderbird share everything (mail, bookmarks, cookies) seamlessly between both os's.

Running dual-boot Ubuntu 6.06/Win98 - although only boot into Win for the kids' games.

And also sharing Tbird mailboxes between the 2 OS'es - very handy. This is on a PIII/500Mhz with 512megs mem. Not too speedy but it seems fairly stable.

SrDriver, agreed regarding Xubuntu - I do have it installed but have reverted back to Gnome. Gnome carries good support for keyboard volume + Xfmedia seems to constantly crash. I took the stability of Gnome over the speediness of xfce.

But I use Thunar file manager instead of Nautilus and it helps with the speed.

I like Gnome over others too including KDE.

There are also Fluxbox and Enlightenment which work well on older computers among many others.

There are several books out on Ubuntu Linux and I have previously mentioned a couple I like.

Have found a wealth of info in Ubuntu Hacks.

There are several books on Ubuntu and other distributions of Linux for desktops out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back