It's Time to Face the Facts: We Aren't BMW's Target Market Anymore

My f30 is competent and very comfortable, but the steering is straight out of a 85 LTD. The brakes have no bite because they went with a compound that doesn’t dust. The zf8 is great but sometimes It feels like it has 200 gears because all it does is upshift. But with a m package and shadowline trim at least it looks great.
Sport brakes ($600 option) came with dusty euro pads but not all cars came with that option. M-Sport line pads are lower dust. Less initial bite but very easy to modulate.

Over the last 25 years, BMW has gone from #1 to #last on my list. The E46 5sp I owned was beautiful and a joy to drive, even if a PITA to constantly have to fix. Every new generation since then has been less and less appealing.

Car and Driver just said (I think it was the January 2023 issue...I’m away from home so I’m paraphrasing). that the Cadillac Blackwings are better sport sedans than anything BMW is currently selling....OUCH.

The ATS was acknowledged to handle as well, if not better than it competitors, including BMW, and that was ten years ago.

But the problem was that the rest of the car didn't measure up to the same bar.

The ATS was acknowledged to handle as well, if not better than it competitors, including BMW, and that was ten years ago.

But the problem was that the rest of the car didn't measure up to the same bar.
I’m sure that’s true....I guess the best strategy would be buying a used Caddy when it takes it’s big depreciation hit after a year or two. Although with our seemingly endless ‘supply chain’ issues that may not happen anytime soon.

BMW has a lot of different models these days. I remember going into a BMW showroom when every model they sold fit inside one room.

With so many models, BMW's target market is hard to define, but it is safe to say it is much broader than in days of old. And now that there are so many choices, I would think a BMW enthusiast could find something interesting to buy.

Maybe BMW is targeting an untapped market- Law Enforcement vehicles in Asia?

I am sure BMW is not targeting LE vehicles in Asia but saw this BMW police car in Asia yesterday. Only time I recollect seeing a marked BMW patrol vehicle was in Germany.

PXL_20230219_095745457.jpg

As I stated in another topic, I became a BMW enthusiast in 1971(at the age of 14) after reading about the Bavaria and its ability to cruise at 120 mph - as well as finding a copy of Turn Your Hymnals to 2002 by David E. Davis. In 1983 I finally bought a 1973 Bavaria and since then I’ve owned 11 other BMWs, including the two I still own. I’ve also been an active member of BMW CCA for over four decades. Last year was the first time I have ever replaced a BMW with a vehicle other than another BMW. I did consider buying a G42 M240i, but after an extended drive I found it to offer little more from an enthusiast standpoint than my F22 M235i. In addition, as one magazine noted, the G42 styling brief appears to be, “make it look like a Lego version of the F22.” An F87 M2 Comp will still turn my head, but not much else in Munich’s current lineup appeals to me.

I’m sure that’s true....I guess the best strategy would be buying a used Caddy when it takes it’s big depreciation hit after a year or two. Although with our seemingly endless ‘supply chain’ issues that may not happen anytime soon.

The same strategy applies to BMW, and is very popular.

But, whatever can be said about modern BMWs, they still do sustain a healthy aftermarket, and user support base, with some of the largest clubs in the world. I'm not sure what that looks like for a Cadillac, or what their average buyer looks like.

My M2 CS is a throwback to the good days, they only brought 569 of them to the US (plus 20 military orders) and 70% of them sold here were with the 6-speed manual. I would say the M cars are still best in class for the most part but the standard models really aren't all that special anymore.

A few things to note, when Albert Biermann left the M division along with some of his team for Hyundai there were a lot of Audi people that came in and made a large impact on driving dynamics- more numb and isolated, the Audi way.

Also, studies BMW had done in the past showed they were missing a portion of the market due to their "heavy steering and brakes," namely female drivers. There was a huge shift in the feel of controls from the E generation to the F generation, I truly despise the F30 3-series- ironic since my M2 is based on that chassis but it's a world of difference.

Lastly, China buys more than double the amount of BMW's than the US and they have very different tastes in style, and from what I understand dynamics is not an important factor for purchasing- I feel BMW is catering very much to that market now.

The real problem is most people dont want to drive anymore. Short attention spans, video games and texting and multitasking are the thing. 80% of the time when someone I know gets a new car they dont take you for a ride to show it off they want you to sit in it while they show you all the cool stuff it can do. Times are changing fast and all us Old Souls are being left behind.
Bingo. You nailed it. Remember when quartz watches basically wiped out the Swiss watch industry? Now Apple is doing the same thing all over again. People today want, above everything else in their belongings, to be connected to their devices. They demand Bluetooth in their grills! They’re begging to be controlled constantly by Big Brother. Remember the 70s when privacy was a concern? Now they’re lining up and paying big bucks to be chipped! The days of deriving satisfaction from a perfectly synchronized gear change are OVER. Modern man (er, excuse me!, humankind) wants autonomous vehicles so he (excuse me! THEY, because subject/verb agreement is deader than the 2002tii) can surf the net on the way to work and be told what to think.

I've never been much of a BMW fan but I did admire the Z3. They don't make that anymore. But it looks like used examples are incredibly cheap. Maybe I should buy one before the prices go all 911...

The same strategy applies to BMW, and is very popular.

But, whatever can be said about modern BMWs, they still do sustain a healthy aftermarket, and user support base, with some of the largest clubs in the world. I'm not sure what that looks like for a Cadillac, or what their average buyer looks like.
I don’t think Cadillac has a large enthusiast base; BMW still rules the roost in that respect. How long that remains the case is up for debate.

My M2 CS is a throwback to the good days, they only brought 569 of them to the US (plus 20 military orders) and 70% of them sold here were with the 6-speed manual. I would say the M cars are still best in class for the most part but the standard models really aren't all that special anymore.

A few things to note, when Albert Biermann left the M division along with some of his team for Hyundai there were a lot of Audi people that came in and made a large impact on driving dynamics- more numb and isolated, the Audi way.

Also, studies BMW had done in the past showed they were missing a portion of the market due to their "heavy steering and brakes," namely female drivers. There was a huge shift in the feel of controls from the E generation to the F generation, I truly despise the F30 3-series- ironic since my M2 is based on that chassis but it's a world of difference.

Lastly, China buys more than double the amount of BMW's than the US and they have very different tastes in style, and from what I understand dynamics is not an important factor for purchasing- I feel BMW is catering very much to that market now.
When I worked at BMW 6 years ago it was already evident that the company was more than willing to sacrifice their core strengths and values in exchange for a larger market share.
A friend who has worked at BMW since the ‘70s thinks the Quandt family is no longer interested in the automotive business and will sell out to the Chinese sooner than later…

Back