It's Time to Face the Facts: We Aren't BMW's Target Market Anymore

I would say this is a real BMW ... but technically it isn't an BMW... still you get the point.

There there is: Also not technically an BMW IIRC

and a BMW

Times are changing, but several things:
1. FXX was good with certain packages. Older philosophy was that ANY BMW is always dynamic. With F they wanted to court Audi, Lexus and MB clients. It didn’t work. It is like all season tires.
2. The 2 series on other hand was true gem. It was result of that realization that F30 is problematic with core audience.
3. G chassis is absolute gem. But, no stick shift. This is pure economics. BMW sold highest number of stick shifts in the US, all 8% of 2 and 3 series.
4. Their engines are still marvel. 330 returns on HWY in M package at 75mph almost same mpg as Camry hybrid.

The real problem is ZF 8 speed. It is so good in BMW, that many die hard BMW enthusiasts are preferring it over stick. That is where the problem is. Let’s say I am glad other manufacturers still offer stick.

The real problem is most people dont want to drive anymore. Short attention spans, video games and texting and multitasking are the thing. 80% of the time when someone I know gets a new car they dont take you for a ride to show it off they want you to sit in it while they show you all the cool stuff it can do. Times are changing fast and all us Old Souls are being left behind.

I used to lust after BMWs; they were just so gorgeous. But I was terrified of being broke and homeless, so I saved and invested while driving used Toyletta strippie pickups and old (cheap) Firebirds.
I don't find them so attractive now. Plus, IMO they are too old skool. Not exciting anymore.
But plenty of people still love 'em. Each to their own.

A R&T article on BMW's heritage and no pic of a 2002 or E9 coupe....maybe we aren't R&T's audience anymore???
Also, I have noticed that frequently screens are bigger and brighter in airplanes too. Screens are making it harder to see out at night in both cars and airplanes. I remember older BMW's having that nice red illumination and instrument lighting, just like older steam gauge airplanes.
Or, maybe the younger pilots of planes and drivers of cars just don't look out as much while driving/flying at night? Or, brighter headlights are needed to overcome the interior light pollution.

There is nothing like flying at night with the instrument lights turned down slowly as your eyes adjust to darkness. Eventually, one can read the old radium marked instruments at night.. Lots of old Bonanzas and Barons had nice gauges and lighting for night work.

The real problem is most people dont want to drive anymore. Short attention spans, video games and texting and multitasking are the thing. 80% of the time when someone I know gets a new car they dont take you for a ride to show it off they want you to sit in it while they show you all the cool stuff it can do. Times are changing fast and all us Old Souls are being
Yes. True driving enthusiasts are mow a small part of the market and with the costs of bringing a car to market, excessive regulations and economies of scale, it is not worth offering vehicles for the niche markets, at least for the big players, and the smaller players are effectively blocked from our and some other markets by various regulatory and other barriers.

I'm not in BMW's target market. I think they are mostly over priced though.

Last edited:
I think you nailed it. BMW seems to have lost its way. I would love to have an old 2002. I don't like screens in the newer cars. I want switches and knobs, no menus..

Also, I have noticed that frequently screens are bigger and brighter in airplanes too. Screens are making it harder to see out at night in both cars and airplanes. I remember older BMW's having that nice red illumination and instrument lighting, just like older steam gauge airplanes.
Or, maybe the younger pilots of planes and drivers of cars just don't look out as much while driving/flying at night? Or, brighter headlights are needed to overcome the interior light pollution.

There is nothing like flying at night with the instrument lights turned down slowly as your eyes adjust to darkness. Eventually, one can read the old radium marked instruments at night.. Lots of old Bonanzas and Barons had nice gauges and lighting for night work.
Soooo...how badly do you want that 2002? :D

It's not just BMW. Every car maker wants to target the average consumer, because they are the ones that have the most share. Not enthusiasts.

I am still highly disappointed in Volkswagen for transferring to electric power steering.

Seems almost every brand has lost me as a customer/audience. Why? Because they discontinued manual trans. Had to move heaven and earth to buy the last but one vehicle...a manual trans (6-speed) BMW 328i F30. Sadly we get special attention here in the USA, meaning we don't get manual trans. versions of many cars available elsewhere.

Don't even get me started about being connected with the road, drive by wire steering, computer-controlled suspensions and even more high-tech. that can severely damage the bank account should it/when it fails.

Just watched a Mercedes commercial this morning that confidently states 100% of their vehicles will be electric by 2030. Please don't get me wrong, as I remain a strong believer in both safety and protecting the environment. Just NOT at the expense of the joy of driving.

Just watched a Mercedes commercial this morning that confidently states 100% of their vehicles will be electric by 2030. Please don't get me wrong, as I remain a strong believer in both safety and protecting the environment. Just NOT at the expense of the joy of driving.
FWIW, the i4 M50 is a lot of fun to drive for an EV, in my experience.

I guess I disagree with the article, I'm BMW's target audience, finding both the X5 in various trims, and their current EV sedan (i4) very attractive vehicles. The i4 M50 has a bit too much front bias, creating some torque steer, but it's a fun little rocket of a car and was pretty reasonably priced before the supply shortage "adjustments" made things nutty.

My f30 is competent and very comfortable, but the steering is straight out of a 85 LTD. The brakes have no bite because they went with a compound that doesn’t dust. The zf8 is great but sometimes It feels like it has 200 gears because all it does is upshift. But with a m package and shadowline trim at least it looks great.

Road and Track

I remember when BMW introduced the F-XX series of vehicles, magazines questioned whether these vehicles deserved to wear the roundel; I believe in 2015 the 5 series lost their crown to the Lexus GS in comparos (although truth be told, BMW won the sales game/crown). Some of the owners/reviewers felt BMW stopped building great analogue cars and began designing digital video games labelled as cars with their EPS units taking away steering feel, and go fast and/or handle a corner parts became part of packages or options.

Has BMW decontented vehicles from coming standard with the "sheer driving pleasure" ethos, or is this just a misguided click generating story?
EPS was done for fuel efficiency which is the same reason why Porsche and Mercedes also have EPS. Mercedes system at the time was worse.
EPS used in current 4 cylinder models is better. I6 variants have older system due to space constraints. The F3x was better in every way except for steering and size. BMW got smart and used sport tires with 5% bump in the aspect ratio. It made a big difference with RFT over e90 sport package.

The current 2 series with 4 cylinder and M Sport BBK is an E46/e90 clone.

BMW like everyone else post pandemic did decontent some of their models.

The BMW screen at night is not intrusive but red gauges are nice. I still don't like the screen.

Last edited:
Back