It's salt season again

It's all over everything :cautious:
Rusting out my stuff, making badly paved roads even worse :cry:
Oh, and to top it off, I found out my sanitation department is out bragging about it on TikTok:devilish:

No point having the car washed, it'll be salt crusted by the time you get home
And the hose finally froze :eek:
I'm punching air right now :mad:
How are you dealing with salt season?

Moved from NY to Delaware. Much less salt.

At one point I read that they were using brine that had already been used for fracking.

I could be offered the best job in the world but if it was anywhere where the roads were salted, Id have to turn it down. It would drive me insane to watch my vehicle rust away, even with meticulous washing. The cold wouldnt bother me at all, but that salt sure would. I’d love to take a road trip up North soon but Id definitely have to rent a vehicle.

Here they use sand because it's too cold for salt to work.
Per the 'net, it's about a 1:4 salt-to-sand mixture here, because the sand would freeze in solid clumps without salt.

I've cycled through late-winter puddles, and have gotten drenched with brine, to the point where I can taste it. Proof to me that lots of salt is used.

The white film that builds up on vehicles is salt.

Note, as well, that by partway through the winter, the roads have a layer of mushy snow/sand/ salt that doesn't freeze if the temperature is above about -12 C.

I wish they could find a good alternative, but so it goes.

They do the same here in Mass. You'd think they're trying to pave a gravel road with rock salt, and that's not even hyperbole. They will lay it on thick any time the temperature drops below freezing even when there's no snow. There's really no other good solution except maybe some massive infrastructure plan to put heating elements in the road. Ethylene glycol, toxicity to wildlife aside, will eat your paint off.

Best thing to do is extremely frequent washing and use something like FF. I have almost no rust on my car just from hosing the underside 3-4x a week during salt season.

You likely rinse off the fluid film that first or second time you rinse everything underneath. I just wash the outside of mine and try to let the oil based undercoating do it’s thing. I’ll touch up the high spray areas as needed, but I’m trying a more permanent coating next year.

The white film that builds up on vehicles is salt.

3t80.jpg

You likely rinse off the fluid film that first or second time you rinse everything underneath. I just wash the outside of mine and try to let the oil based undercoating do it’s thing. I’ll touch up the high spray areas as needed, but I’m trying a more permanent coating next year.
I’m in the same boat...probably going to try something else next year. Maybe a cosmoline type product.

I had to look close, thought that might be my car. I spend over an hour washing it and 1/2 mile down the road all that hard work is erased. Around here they also plow the shoulders incessantly, making a muddy mess and rolling any gravel that may be on the side of the road down into the ditch where it can do the most good.

There were a few reasons, but truly one of the main reasons that we packed up our family and moved from central WI to NC six years ago was the road salt. It drove me absolutely nuts to spend so much time, effort, and expense to maintain a vehicle, only to have it disintegrate before your very eyes. I worked at a body shop for a few years. Me and another guy bought high end rustproofing & undercoating and treated the snot out of our cars. No matter. There is no stopping what that stuff does to metal.

I had to look close, thought that might be my car. I spend over an hour washing it and 1/2 mile down the road all that hard work is erased.

It's particularly annoying when you wash the car real nice to give a good impression: a first date, a job interview, etc... And you drive a half mile and suddenly there are some wet spots on the road and by the time you get there the car is covered in salt again.

It gets a spraying of fluid film every oil change, which it gets once a month as much as I drive.

I could be offered the best job in the world but if it was anywhere where the roads were salted, Id have to turn it down. It would drive me insane to watch my vehicle rust away, even with meticulous washing. The cold wouldnt bother me at all, but that salt sure would. I’d love to take a road trip up North soon but Id definitely have to rent a vehicle.
Your problem is you like cars. Get a car you hate for a winter beater then the darn thing will last forever!

I once lived in a very sunny, warm, western coastal state where cars don’t rust. However, overall quality of life made up for the fact my cars were spotless and rust free. I moved back to the Midwest, and only question that move when the temps hit single digits.

Here it takes about 10 years before rust shows up in the body panels if the car was taken care of. I can go to a salt free state pretty easy to import rust free cars.

Plus, I discovered Fluid Film and hybrid ceramic coatings. Besides, I most likely won’t be keeping a car more than 7 years, other than my old Jeep. I will if I can, but electrical gremlins or other major repairs usually cause the car to move on before rust does.

As much as I love cars, I would rather have a safe, affordable place to live that isn’t over populated. Even if salt slowly kills my cars.

I was always impressed with Colorado's handling of snow treatment, least around the area I lived (Colo Spgs). A majority of the time, nothing but sand and sunshine. In very cold weather or re-freeze conditions they'd use magnesium chloride spray, either as a pre or post treatment. My 1985 F-250 that spent its whole life in Colorado had no rust other than in the usual cosmetic places in the sheet metal-- wheel arches and behind the front fenders. When I sold it in 2018, the fella that bought it here in KY (I brought it with me when I moved here in 2017) thought it was unbelievable how rust-free it was given the age.

Magnesium Chloride is a salt. It sounds like Colorado knows how to handle the snow and ice better. They should.

I reluctantly crawled under my 2019 Ram 1500 classic today to snap a pic of the ATF heater on the side of it's 8hp70 because of a chat I was having with another 2019 owner on another board.

It looks awful under there. I've sprayed most everything under there with fluid film and woolwax, but it can only do so much.

FTShmsVl.jpg

Back