It's going to a good home.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I have a dear neighbor, Mary, who is 101 years old. Her and her husband bought the house new in 1950 and my grandparents moved in across the street in 1972. Mary and her husband bought a 1970 GMC C25 Custom Camper special with a 350 & 4-speed stick new in 1970 to haul a camper around to some property she still owns. It got parked some time in the 80s and sat until around 2006 when another neighbor a few houses down bought it. It only had 23k miles and it's now at 73k. Pretty much everything is original. My next door neighbor, the mechanic, has maintained it for about 10 years and aside from tinkering, it's only needed a starter and the cooling system rebuilt. 6 years ago he pulled the motor to replace all the leaky oil seals and repaint it. While it was out it got a new clutch. It runs like a top.

My dad's cousin just bought it to pull her little 1969 camper around. We aren't sure what the plans are fully for it, I think she wants to keep the patina. It was originally dark green with a white roof but the AZ sun had other plans. Maybe one day it'll get a respray. Probably an interior refresh now but that'll be easy. I believe the interior is 100% original too. Unfortunately the chrome trim has been lost. Definitely going to a good home. New Michelin tires on Monday.

CD4B250B-282C-4C91-A8E0-E34A4089C668.jpeg

378BD65E-7569-41CA-9633-77DDFE285268.jpeg
A65BE0CD-172F-4355-AA57-4523B5DBA023.jpeg
C95B8CF6-FBF9-4251-BBC0-5249504FA5C7.jpeg

She looks straight and must be rust free being an az native. If it was mine I'd do it justice and spend the money on fixing up the little things and getting it resprayed.

Last edited:
You sure it was dark green originally?
Seems like it was a lighter metallic hue based on the exposed interior and under hood metal bits.

Love the manual trans as well!

Last edited:
I’m digging the patina. Cool old truck. Mary’s seen some things in her 101 years.

You sure it was dark green originally?
Seems like it was a lighter metallic hue based on the exposed interior and under hood metal bits.

Love the manual trans as well!
Well, by darker I mean much darker than it is now. I believe it was "Medium Olive" like this C10

3B679A77-84EB-49DA-8D11-E53A2FF4B6C9.jpeg

I’m digging the patina. Cool old truck. Mary’s seen some things in her 101 years.
She certainly has. She's a fantastic friend too. She insisted she pay for my bachelor's degree (and she did). She was a school teacher for around 30 years. 2 other neighbor's kids she put through graduate school in California too.

I have no clue, it's all original. Were there different options?
1970 was the last year of the "good" heads on chevy cars. Good flow and small chamber gave them high compression and more power. The trucks didn't usually get the small chamber heads but they still flowed well. You can tell what they are by the marks on each end.

The block should be a high nickle casting. Could be 2 or 4 bolt mains.

A friend of mine has in his garage a virgin 1970,300 hp 350 with a set of ,041 heads and an 010 block. It was running just oil fouling plugs.

It's the perfect rebuilder for a hot rod or my 68 Chevelle dream car I'll never have

Last edited:
Nice…did I spy a factory saddle tank? That’s a rare, nicely optioned little truck, being it is equipped with the factory a/c and manual transmission. Definitely worth a refresh!

Last edited:
That generation of C series trucks are highly sought after now for restoration. Most all the sheet metal and interior items are all available. If you would advertise as an AZ vehicle in a national auto source like Hemmings you may be able to improve on your price beyond what you may get locally.

That generation of C series trucks are highly sought after now for restoration. Most all the sheet metal and interior items are all available. If you would advertise as an AZ vehicle in a national auto source like Hemmings you may be able to improve on your price beyond what you may get locally.
All sentimentality aside (and she sounds like a real saint), you gotta remember it is just a vehicle. The new owner needs goals and a budget. The recall I have re nice trucks of this genre' is that they don't attain the stratospheric dollar amounts we think they should. This gorgeous relic might need to have its frame polished to become $tellar.

What's with the fuel filler door and frame?

The air cleaner and the under-hood patch above it tells a story.

Nice…did I spy a factory saddle tank? That’s a rare, nicely optioned little truck, being it is equipped with the factory a/c and manual transmission. Definitely worth a refresh!
It's got dual saddle tanks, so 3 total. But only the regular tank behind the driver's seat is operational. The other 2 haven't been used since the 80s so they'd require some work to get going again. Inside there's a valve on the floor between the seat and door to switch, and the dash has toggle switches to operate the fuel pumps.

Back