It's A Good Time To Work For Uncle Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, when you talk about the "burdened rate" of pay for folks it's 1/4 to 1/3 in addition to what you get paid.

If your company offers a 401(k) match, then that's a percentage. They pick up the other 1/2 of social security (do they pay another 1/2 of medicare as well?) So you could be getting up to an additional 10% right there before a single benefit is paid. Add to that any health, dental, vision, mental health, education reimbursement, etc and it's easy to see that an additional 1/4 to 1/3rd of your salary is paid in benefits or taxes the employer pays on your behalf.

Maybe the govt. should have a race to the bottom like the private sector of this country. Not. The problem isn't govt. workers, it's the insane trade policies.

The reality is that maybe in some "brain dead" jobs, the government folks get paid more than non-government, but in professional positions, it is the opposite. I know this in direct comparison with my peers, and I think that is what was said earlier in here too...

THe difference is stability and the fact that the government worker can still go shopping at kmart when others are worried about their jobs. They may never get rich, but they may add a bit of stability, kind of like the flywheel on an engine.

In a way the government job in this country is a social services. Many people aren't fit for the top brass jobs elsewhere and since our government pays sort of low wages, they can only hire the low end of the labor force.

DMV, USCIS (immigration), etc are some good example.

The only exception is the unionized public service employees like fire fighters and polices, they sort of drain all of the funding out of almost every city that are nearly bankrupted.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
In a way the government job in this country is a social services. Many people aren't fit for the top brass jobs elsewhere and since our government pays sort of low wages, they can only hire the low end of the labor force.

The only exception is the unionized public service employees like fire fighters and polices, they sort of drain all of the funding out of almost every city that are nearly bankrupted.

And in other areas, I am not sure why, perhaps it is the access and breadth of interface, but the government pulls in the tops in various technology areas. Experts that have no equal in the private sector... yet they are getting paid less than i in the private sector.

Likely the reason they became unrivaled experts is because of their interface and breadth of knowledge and experience that is unrivaled being enslaved to one product/company in the private sector. I dont know...

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

I would agree and disagree. The difference with many federal jobs is the federal government assigns a great deal more value to your experience WITH the government than you would find in the private sector/academic/professional world. I guess that's good and bad. You get people who know how to make the system work to get the job done...But you also get some who just learn how to work the system and do as little as possible...

Actually, retirement is not what it used to be under the new system. There's a basic benefits package, social security, and the Thrift Savings Plan, which is pretty similar to a 401(k).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back