It never ceases to amaze

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
How we have a sub-forum (the oil filter one) where many, myself included, strive to find the most efficient filter for their vehicle, while, in the air filter forum we've got folks actively searching to fit some of the least efficient filters on the market to their vehicles, vehicles which are almost universally stock or close to, that won't benefit from any added airflow that might be available at the expense of efficiency.

Obviously excepting people like @TiGeo who live in non-dusty environments and have significantly increased their power over stock and are making an informed decision.

The general consensus is of course that the air filter is the most important one in the vehicle. It prevents abrasive material from entering the engine and causing damage throughout. Yet the pursuit of more efficient filtration (like the Volant systems, that leverage a Donaldson PowerCore, first introduced on here by @Quattro Pete ) is next to non-existent.

It's truly quite fascinating!

Just my opinion or info I picked up is the stock engine only needs a certain percentage of the air a new stock filter takes in .
So in the line of thinking I'd rather use a highly effective filter and change more often , than a high flow that lets more particle through . Myself I change stock air filters way before recommend mileage anyway .

Just my opinion or info I picked up is the stock engine only needs a certain percentage of the air a new stock filter takes in .
So in the line of thinking I'd rather use a highly effective filter and change more often , than a high flow that lets more particle through . Myself I change stock air filters way before recommend mileage anyway .
And, if one wants to optimize this process, fitting a restriction gauge is quite easy.

I am so tired of the air filter is the most important filter argument although I agree with the rest and have no issue but seriously pop off the oil filter on your Ram and see how unimportant it is.

This is BITOG not BITAFG..😁

A higher efficiency air filter is more important than a higher efficiency oil filter ;) Some of the OE filters (Honda for example) have horrible filtration efficiency relative to their peers, yet, given the lifespan of this equipment, it appears to have relatively little impact.

Think of the old Briggs and Tecumseh mowers with no filter whatsoever. Run them without an air filter though, and the engine isn't long for this world.

Of course operating conditions are extremely important. Marine engines get by with no real air filter because they aren't exposed to dust/dirt. My ATV gets exposed to far more of that than my Jeep, and has a dual-layer filter because of it.

Per your point though, I could put a hollow can on the RAM and it would run just fine, even if I drove it around a mine. On the other hand, doing that same task with no air filter would severely damage the engine (driving around a mine).

A higher efficiency air filter is more important than a higher efficiency oil filter ;) Some of the OE filters (Honda for example) have horrible filtration efficiency relative to their peers, yet, given the lifespan of this equipment, it appears to have relatively little impact.

Think of the old Briggs and Tecumseh mowers with no filter whatsoever. Run them without an air filter though, and the engine isn't long for this world.

Of course operating conditions are extremely important. Marine engines get by with no real air filter because they aren't exposed to dust/dirt. My ATV gets exposed to far more of that than my Jeep, and has a dual-layer filter because of it.

Per your point though, I could put a hollow can on the RAM and it would run just fine, even if I drove it around a mine. On the other hand, doing that same task with no air filter would severely damage the engine (driving around a mine).
Bullwinkle
Apples to oranges
You know better than that.
You have an oil filter you can't run without it but you can pull the air filter and you will be okay for awhile.

I knew you were going to do this twist. So the air filter in your application is not more important

boo-ghost.gif

I went through some SAE training in Detroit some years back on diesel engine emissions, how they are created and controlled. The #1 thing you can do to reduce diesel particulate emissions is to fit a good air filter to not allow incombustible materials into the process to be counted in the exhaust. In some cities, the air coming out of the tailpipe really is cleaner that the air going into the air intake from a PM standpoint.

No you are spinning and I called you on it.
Bull.

I'm not spinning. Let's try this another way:

My M5, I could remove the oil filter completely and drive it around the same mine. It would be fine. I remove the two air filters, I'll dust the engine in short order. You are focusing on the function of the can, not the filter, and then trying to frame it as me spinning something, which is total nonsense, as it is you crafting the strawman/doing the spin.

I'm not spinning. Let's try this another way:

My M5, I could remove the oil filter completely and drive it around the same mine. It would be fine. I remove the two air filters, I'll dust the engine in short order. You are focusing on the function of the can, not the filter, and then trying to frame it as me spinning something, which is total nonsense, as it is you crafting the strawman/doing the spin.
For your sake only i am ending my conversation with you.
You don't need the stress.
Have a great night.

Hey @OVERKILL , I think what might be happening here is that you're assuming that the rest of the world has a similar amount of information and comprehension that you do.

If you consider that most folks are ill-informed, uninformed, or just plain ignorant about the subject, then it becomes very easy to see how they make the choices that they do.

I don't know, but the old VW's had rock catchers for oil filters if that means anything and used a an oil bath air filter.

My M5, I could remove the oil filter completely and drive it around the same mine. It would be fine.

Define "it would be fine". If you mean by removing the filter, causing engine damage and that's fine then all good. More airflow equals less protection. I always run foam on my dirt bikes and OEM style on my 4 wheeled vehicles that see off road dusty conditions and change frequently.

The high flow oil gauzed filters are ok for street use but intakes are always dirty when driven in the dust. Also newer vehicles can throw codes when using pre oiled filters. I got almost 300,000 miles out of my K&N on my 94 Chevy Silverado. Not much dust running but always cleaned and oiled after race weekend or camping off road.

Define "it would be fine". If you mean by removing the filter, causing engine damage and that's fine then all good. More airflow equals less protection. I always run foam on my dirt bikes and OEM style on my 4 wheeled vehicles that see off road dusty conditions and change frequently.

The high flow oil gauzed filters are ok for street use but intakes are always dirty when driven in the dust. Also newer vehicles can throw codes when using pre oiled filters. I got almost 300,000 miles out of my K&N on my 94 Chevy Silverado. Not much dust running but always cleaned and oiled after race weekend or camping off road.
Re-read the post please.

I said remove the OIL FILTER. That means keeping both air filters in place.

Back