It looks like SuperTech is in trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bad New is my local Walmart is shutting down at the end of this month. Not a great loss my local store has a very poor manager and the Sporting goods isle has all but closed and for over three months now the Oil isle has been sorely neglected. 147 Walmart Employees losing their jobs. Now I will have to drive 8 more miles one way to the next closest Walmart in a bad neighborhood. Looks like its a good thing at 78 I likely have a lifetime supply of oil and filters.

Wasn't the warren company (supplier of supertech) bought out by a private equity firm? Doesn't the timing of supertech's issues coincide with that timing? sure sounds like that could be driving this..

I just bought a jug of 10,000 mile Supertech 5w-20 for my son's Rouge for $20.00. That was the least expensive 5w-20 on the shelf, as I did look around a bit. I do this change for free while he is in college, so cheap is my preferred option. I do spring for a good filter.

I had to buy a name brand 0w-40 for our Beetle, and it was $24. I think it was Castrol....can't recall for sure.

I just bought a jug of 10,000 mile Supertech 5w-20 for my son's Rouge for $20.00. That was the least expensive 5w-20 on the shelf, as I did look around a bit. I do this change for free while he is in college, so cheap is my preferred option. I do spring for a good filter.

If you are a Costco member you could have gotten Kirkland brand for $16 and change a Jug! There always seem to be a comparable option for less money.

Regarding Supertech, looks like it is about time for Walmart to either put the squeeze on Warren, or find a new vendor for their house swill.
Spoiler alert: we're going to start offering QS synthetic in our TLE servicing sometime soon.

Possibly a sign that Walmart is switching primary vendor?

Spoiler alert: we're going to start offering QS synthetic in our TLE servicing sometime soon.

A Walmart in Delaware, is offering Castrol synthetic, I noticed signs up all over.. when I was in the back, picking up something..

That's definitely a possibility.
However, they tend to purchase from multiple vendors in a manner that complements their supply chain.
If a vendor steps out of line, they make some regional distribution adjustments, and the offender gets the fork stuck to them.

In my area since they raised the prices of Super Tech -- there oil is always stocked up compared to when there oil was budget friendly compared to the big guns.

Super tech is not in trouble and will never be. Walmart is known for changing it's pricing to just be a nose under the "leading brand", to maximize profits. Notice there are no blowouts or deals on walmart, just "everyday" low prices. This is on purpose.

I had to buy a name brand 0w-40 for our Beetle, and it was $24. I think it was Castrol....can't recall for sure.
Supertech is great but what's 4 or 5 dollars over a span of 6,000 miles. Go for the Gold and sleep with the warm & fuzziness at night lol

Just a thought about Warren Highline but if the supply chains were crimped then WH would end up being the loser. They get their components from somewhere else. If those companies were having supply issues they might decide to concentrate on keeping their own products going and that would leave Warren out in the lurch so to speak.
Dig deep to find out who owns Warren Highline . . . and I think you'll be surprised ( maybe not ). Hint, he's a high profile power player in Illinois.

Dig deep to find out who owns Warren Highline . . . and I think you'll be surprised ( maybe not ). Hint, he's a high profile power player in Illinois.
Anymore, if you dig into anything you will find someone or something you don’t like…..I just use what works and what I like.

My wife always tells me not to tell her any stupid thing her favorite musicians or actors have said or done. She just wants to enjoy the show.

That doesn’t tie in with my speculation on the supply chain. For example, if Chevron was selling base oil to HW and supply chain issues forced their hand they would make sure their own products are supplied first before selling to others. Now it’s also possible that HW wanted a better deal and the supplier said no.

In the end we really don’t know what is going on with HW. The change in ownership might be a coincidence, and maybe not.

Super tech is not in trouble and will never be. Walmart is known for changing it's pricing to just be a nose under the "leading brand", to maximize profits. Notice there are no blowouts or deals on walmart, just "everyday" low prices. This is on purpose.
That doesn't help with anything, jacking up Supertech prices just pushes people to get the name brand oils.

At my store, ST section is just sitting and will not move. Hell even the Chevron Supreme blend is cheaper than the ST blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back