It looks like SuperTech is in trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart doesn't even carry Motorcraft filters anymore..
Walmart by me, no Supertech oil on the shelves. I don't use it anyway, I was using Costco Kirkland full synthetic 5W-20 Costco don't even have that. Nor do they have any other oil, they don't even have Mobil 1. For that matter. But I know the Walmart by me, sells the hell out of that Quaker State.. and Valvoline... That has to be the top sellers by me..
Walmart nearby to me today had a few Motorcraft oil filters of a couple different part numbers still on shelf, but I'm thinking they will not be restocked. Same Walmart used to carry OEM Hyundai oil filters but stopped stocking them a couple months ago.

This is what venture capitalists do. When warren sold out to “bankers” it was guaranteed that things were going to change. They will do whatever it takes to eek out every last cent in an attempt to boost stock value and provide a return to investors. I stopped using the product because i dont trust this style of business. It is “all about the money” but on the next level. Venture capitals are like locusts sweeping across the midwestern plains devouring anything in sight all while leaving the landscape in ruin. If supertech sales wobble or flop all they will do is begin using bottom of the bucket materials in an attempt to reach a certain price point, and or throw the company back on the market in an attempt to achieve a return and maximize profit. They will then move on to the next money maker. Dark side of business….

Walmart nearby to me today had a few Motorcraft oil filters of a couple different part numbers still on shelf, but I'm thinking they will not be restocked. Same Walmart used to carry OEM Hyundai oil filters but stopped stocking them a couple months ago.
Hmm, they haven't had either Motorcraft filters I need in months. I figured it was just shortage. Since I've seen crappy 820 pics I guess it's for the best.

I noticed the same thing a few weeks ago; went in to buy some Supertech and Quaker State was basically the same price. Hmmm... generic Wally-World mystery oil or wholesome Pennsylvania goodness.

The oil on the shelf at Wally-World is owned by Quaker State, I would guess that they have sales volume requirements to meet based upon there shelf space agreement. Retail packaged motor oil probably wasn't moving very well during the pandemic due to folks not driving as much. I'm guessing that they are playing some sort of catch up or ensuring they meet some sort of sales volume agreement. Wall-Mart pulls 2-3 points of margin on the products they move, all they care about is whether or not that shelf space is meeting it's target bottom line revenue.

Stock up while it's cheap.

Well "price wise". The battle between Quaker State & SuperTech is taking an effect to SuperTech's cheap oil price tag. At the Walmart here in Houston, if you go in the afternoon, Quaker State's shelves seems to be almost empty. Then the next morning store clerks fill it up with 5 qt jugs of Quaker State of different viscosities and later in the afternoon they're almost gone. Pennzoil & Valvoline lower prices are also right there just a hitting distance between Quaker State & Supertech. I must say SuperTech is in trouble, well in the stores here in Houston. I don't know in other cities in other states..
I know that Walmart is switching from super tech to quaker state full synthetic in the shop. They discontinued it, so we can no longer order it.

Regarding Supertech, looks like it is about time for Walmart to either put the squeeze on Warren, or find a new vendor for their house swill.
I don't agree. Supertech is somewhat unique and proven. To me changing suppliers would ruin it for me. It's all mental I know. Well, unless they become part of CASTROL; I would be all for that again for no scientific reason.

I noticed the same thing a few weeks ago; went in to buy some Supertech and Quaker State was basically the same price. Hmmm... generic Wally-World mystery oil or wholesome Pennsylvania goodness.

The oil on the shelf at Wally-World is owned by Quaker State, I would guess that they have sales volume requirements to meet based upon there shelf space agreement. Retail packaged motor oil probably wasn't moving very well during the pandemic due to folks not driving as much. I'm guessing that they are playing some sort of catch up or ensuring they meet some sort of sales volume agreement. Wall-Mart pulls 2-3 points of margin on the products they move, all they care about is whether or not that shelf space is meeting it's target bottom line revenue.

Stock up while it's cheap.
I have been stocking up on quaker state Euro 5w-40. I hate Quaker State but can't beat that price*Euro oil. Might just run it in the tw200 & XR250 to get rid of some. Or use it in friends cars( I help out friends with free oil changes all the time cuz I like playing with oil, I just make them purchase the oil filter of their choice) that spec 0w-20 😈

Super tech pricing is all over the place. Right now you can get the 20k miles “advanced” version $1 cheaper than the 10k version 😲

Attachments

• 61D8D005-C859-4812-9FCD-885B8812DBBD.jpeg
    61D8D005-C859-4812-9FCD-885B8812DBBD.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 12CDF1E6-66EA-4B56-BD42-580BB02DE13E.jpeg
    12CDF1E6-66EA-4B56-BD42-580BB02DE13E.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 28
I know that Walmart is switching from super tech to quaker state full synthetic in the shop. They discontinued it, so we can no longer order it.
I was in a Delaware Walmart they were pushing Castrol oil changes.. obviously they were doing them.. because there was no Castrol on the shelves, for me to pick up...

ST will never be in trouble. It could be WM just blowing out inventory. As you yourself would probably admit you're not brand sensitive but price sensitive and ST will almost always be cheaper.
Agree and Quaker State is just another brand from Shell, so in a way Shell competing with Warren I suppose with special pricing.
Being it is Shell I have at other times seen their pricing close to Super Tech and cheaper than the others.
Oil pricing is sometimes like gasoline pricing, all depends on the price of the last delivery of crude the manufacturer received I guess?

I really have no idea regarding the macro sales trends, but for me the draw of supertech has been an everyday low price, and no rebates to deal with. When they are playing with the prices up and down all the time, it kills the brand for me. If I have to watch for sales I'll just buy Shell, ExxonMobil, BP or Valvoline.

SuperTech oil is hard to keep on the shelves here. The majors just sit there.
Yes.

It could be a dollar less. People are CHEAP, not even frugal, just CHEAP.. and I have frequently asked myself if there is anything wrong with that. I'm not sure there is.

Also, Supertech is fine oil. Maybe not always in the past but this is the now and this is where we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back